Make a donation

Author Topic: The slippery slope begins...  (Read 3948 times)

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
Re: The slippery slope begins...
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2012, 06:05:32 pm »
If you remove the pre cat you will get rid of the heat a bit quicker as the exhaust gases wont be hitting a big wall of cat material.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 06:13:40 pm »

the slippery slope on this forum are teflon lined  :laugh:

Offline yetidom

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 07:12:09 pm »
If you remove the pre cat you will get rid of the heat a bit quicker as the exhaust gases wont be hitting a big wall of cat material.

Thanks. So really there shouldn't be any issues then? Any downsides to removing it?

Indeed!  :party:

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 07:47:05 pm »
None that i experienced :happy2:
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline yetidom

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 07:54:25 pm »
 :happy2: cheers again

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 09:24:10 pm »
 :star:

Offline yetidom

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 05:14:10 pm »
One more question guys... Apologies in advance as it's about intakes and I know there have been soooooo many threads on this (and some excellent reviews which I've read).

As it says at the start of this thread I'm booked in to go stage 1 (engine and dsg) and have been considering also getting an induction kit fitted at the same time. If I do, it's between the Twintake and the ITG Maxogen. Car has standard E30 exhaust.

Does anyone on here have either of these running a similar set-up that could tell me how noisy each is under normal driving conditions (I.e. in D pottering around town or cruising down the motorway at 80-ish)? I've watched YouTube and they both sound awesome under a healthy bit of throttle (which I want), but I really need the car to not sound like an angry beast when out for a relaxing day with the wife or driving work colleagues.

Can anyone help?  Thanks in advance  :happy2:

Offline mattypgolf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2012, 05:20:26 pm »
My car passed the mot with the pre cat removed. Or you can have my old downpipe with the pre cat already removed for a small donation. It is the same downpipe as fitted to the ed30 and recently passed an mot with it fitted. I now have my BCS exhaust fitted so I have no need for my oe dp.

how much,,id be interested!
TR dsg, stage 1 r-tec map, bbs ch in gloss black, black roof and badges, colour coded, neuspeed hybrid intake, cat back exhaust..

Offline yetidom

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2012, 08:55:43 pm »
Ok, steering towards the ITG Maxogen. Anyone got one that could let me know how noisy it is under normal driving and motorway cruising?  :popcornsoda:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2012, 08:58:39 pm »
Ok, steering towards the ITG Maxogen. Anyone got one that could let me know how noisy it is under normal driving and motorway cruising?  :popcornsoda:

I'm not sure they sell the Maxogen anymore? I think they now come the same as Marks with the enclosed filter!  :happy2:

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2012, 09:02:47 pm »
If you go with the Maxogen I think this will be too noisy from what you seem to want. I think either one like mine or the twin take would be the best way for you to go. My mate fitted a maxogen to his Rocco R and it's too noisy for him as his everyday car but he was too impatient to wait for one like mine. :laugh:

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 09:18:03 pm »

Thanks. So really there shouldn't be any issues then? Any downsides to removing it?

Indeed!  :party:

Have you seen my thread on pre-cat removal? Search for "pre cat removed"
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Jay_bcfc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
  • MK5 Pirelli previous MK6 Gti ED30 and MK5 R32
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://i660.photobucket.com/albums/uu326/jaybcfc1983/Pirelli_2_zpso5tdkgow.jpg
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2012, 09:28:28 pm »
I've recently had a stage 1,remap and Sportlines fitted recently  :laugh: two weeks Ive had it done, and it's transformed the car to be honest. I thought it was great as standard but that drop with the sportlines makes it sit perfect and it seems like I can throw it into corners more too. As for the Stage 1, it was quick before but it just blows me away now. It was a P-Torque remap and its running at 300 bhp, now it pulls in every gear. hard! only think is that there is a bit of wheelspin with the weather like it is today but be a bit sensible in the wet and its fine.  I've also got a ITG Maxogen fitted, loud when you want it to be,and does sound aboit like darth vader, but can also be quiet at motorway crusing speeds. but the turbo flutter when you accelerate wow  :love:

Offline yetidom

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2012, 07:29:31 am »

I'm not sure they sell the Maxogen anymore? I think they now come the same as Marks with the enclosed filter!  :happy2:

I did have a good look around for the enclosed version like Mark's as that would be my preference  :happy2:

If you go with the Maxogen I think this will be too noisy from what you seem to want. I think either one like mine or the twin take would be the best way for you to go. My mate fitted a maxogen to his Rocco R and it's too noisy for him as his everyday car but he was too impatient to wait for one like mine. :laugh:

Hear what you're saying on the Maxogen, I've mailed ITG to see if the latest version is similar to yours - it certainly looks that way from their website but I'm struggling to find stockists who show that kit - will let you know how I get on as I'm not sure I can justify the VW Racing version...

Cheers GrayMk5GTI for highlighting your thread on pre-cat removal - made for interesting reading and I'm definitely convinced by getting it done!   :wink:

Jay_BCFC - you're definitely adding my my excitement in getting the work done at R-Tech, sounds like it's going to be a different beast all together!  Can't wait  :jumpmove:

Offline yetidom

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2012, 05:22:49 pm »
 :confused: now.  ITG said they only do the current non-enclosed Maxogen for the K04, the enclosed version for the Mk6 GTi doesn't fit and if I want enclosed (like Markymark's), they recommend VW Racing...  That's quite strong money though...

Concerned Maxgen might be too noisy under normal driving (would love the noise under 'spirited' driving though) and although I may get shot down for this, I've heard the Twintake is better on K03 than K04...  Guess it's back to the search function for other options....  Unless anyone has any advice, criteria are:

Under £350ish (if possible)
Some extra horses from better breathing to accommpany Stage 1 remap
Happy with some increase in noise generally across the board
Actively seeking noise under hard accelleration
Would prefer it not to sound like a raving lunatic under normal driving (i.e. around town and motorway cruising)

Thoughts?  Thanks in advance...  :notworthy: