Make a donation

Author Topic: BMW approved buying help please  (Read 5382 times)

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
BMW approved buying help please
« on: March 30, 2012, 04:22:22 pm »
Ok, tomorrow morning I am going to see a E90 330d M sport at a BMW showroom, i have never bought direct from a main dealer showroom before and am looking for a bit of advice please.

It's a 2006 56 reg so I don't know how much, if any, bargaining power I will have, but I would like to know how much I could expect to get off a 12k car?? Also, is there anything else I could try and get thrown in??? The salesman told me on the phone they have replaced the rear tyres, MOT'd the car and serviced it ready for sale. He also said they have just knocked a grand of the price, he made quite a point of telling me that, which made me think the asking price was non negotiable. He wanted to agree a deal over the phone and me to leave a deposit, but i didn't want to do that before I seen the car. He did give me a price on my trade in, which was slightly lower than I wanted, but more than I expected them to offer.

The one thing i wanted on the car was rear privacy glass, do you think I could ask for that to be done to help the deal along??

Looking for quick advice, any help appreciated.

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Re: BMW approved buying help please
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 04:30:09 pm »
look through the BMW website at the used approved and look for the same model as close to the spec youre interested in

look for the best online deal and compare it to what theyre offering.

if theres a selection to choose from then the dealer has to make sure his becomes the best deal else you could go elsewhere

privacy shouldnt cost you more than £120-£150 to get tinted privately so if they wont do it then thats the sort of figure you want to haggle off at the minimum. Them doing it can be anything... BMW charge £90 for just bonnet stripes on a mini!!! whereas someone like me does them for a hell of alot less.

the fact that they have replaced the tyres is irrelevant to the deal - it probably needed them

the fact that theyve just decreased the price has nothing to do with you either, they chose to do that before you came along and wont have relevance to a deal you want to make

cars need selling, market is hard at the moment, haggle hard because as long as you do it sensibly they wont refuse a good strong sale....

also the fact the have just decreased the price means its more than likely dead stock too... they want it gone, more than likely why he pushed for a deposit.

he's the salesman.... but your the one with the money  :happy2:

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 04:51:45 pm »
look through the BMW website at the used approved and look for the same model as close to the spec youre interested in

look for the best online deal and compare it to what theyre offering.

if theres a selection to choose from then the dealer has to make sure his becomes the best deal else you could go elsewhere

privacy shouldnt cost you more than £120-£150 to get tinted privately so if they wont do it then thats the sort of figure you want to haggle off at the minimum. Them doing it can be anything... BMW charge £90 for just bonnet stripes on a mini!!! whereas someone like me does them for a hell of alot less.

the fact that they have replaced the tyres is irrelevant to the deal - it probably needed them

the fact that theyve just decreased the price has nothing to do with you either, they chose to do that before you came along and wont have relevance to a deal you want to make

cars need selling, market is hard at the moment, haggle hard because as long as you do it sensibly they wont refuse a good strong sale....

also the fact the have just decreased the price means its more than likely dead stock too... they want it gone, more than likely why he pushed for a deposit.

he's the salesman.... but your the one with the money  :happy2:

Thanks VCR, it actually seems quite keenly priced for an Approved BMW car, I have been looking for weeks now and think I have seen this one on their site before but ignored it as it was out of my budget.  It's up for £11,990, i would like to get it for £11,500 top wack, but will have to see how it goes. I am going to see if I can get the privacy glass done and a 2 year warranty thrown in, comes with a 12 month BMW warranty but will try for a 2 year warranty.

If I could get all that and it for £11,500 I would be very happy.

The tyres were done because the rears were on 3mm when the car came in and he said BMW won't sell a used car on 3mm or less. Fronts are on 7mm, so basically new tyres all round. And it's also had front discs and pads done by them as well.

Offline VC

• Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 04:57:43 pm »
warranty im sure they would extend mate and the tints are no massive outlay... i bet if you walked in and slapped £11.5k firm on the table with your requests take it or leave it they wouldnt say no over £500 notes

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 05:01:07 pm »
As VC says...

I've bought about 5 Approved Used BMW's and always knocked them down, they have huge margins so can afford to lose a little... and there warranty has been good, but you sometimes need to push them... I even had a full engine rebuild done...

Good luck.
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 05:17:16 pm »
warranty im sure they would extend mate and the tints are no massive outlay... i bet if you walked in and slapped £11.5k firm on the table with your requests take it or leave it they wouldnt say no over £500 notes

Sounds simple when you put it like that VC, (sorry for VCR last time, bloody predictive text on ipad :ashamed:). Also makes it seem like I could push for more, but I am useless at bargaining, feel cheeky pushing it.

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 05:19:13 pm »
As VC says...

I've bought about 5 Approved Used BMW's and always knocked them down, they have huge margins so can afford to lose a little... and there warranty has been good, but you sometimes need to push them... I even had a full engine rebuild done...

Good luck.

Have heard their warranty is very good, I was looking at a car which was slightly cheaper but once I would have bought a warranty for it from BMW would have worked out a bit more than buying an approved used BMW.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 06:42:44 pm »
A BMW warranty is worth its weight in gold, absolutely no arguments and they'll replace anything. I got a new clutch, because I said it was juddery.... it was in fact a £5 clutch delay valve that needed doing - they just said "oh well, belt and braces!".

Oh and go in hard with your offer, they'll have got that in for sod all anyway on PX.  :happy2:
Sideways yo!

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 06:54:21 pm »
A BMW warranty is worth its weight in gold, absolutely no arguments and they'll replace anything. I got a new clutch, because I said it was juddery.... it was in fact a £5 clutch delay valve that needed doing - they just said "oh well, belt and braces!".

Oh and go in hard with your offer, they'll have got that in for sod all anyway on PX.  :happy2:

I have been told tomorrow could be a good day to buy as its end of the quarter and if targets are down, I could get a good deal.

When you say go in hard, how hard are you thinking on an £11990 asking price?? I was hoping to get it for £11500, you think I could get it lower??

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 07:02:53 pm »
What does it book at?

Ignore all the flannel, he hasn't 'knocked' a grand off, they had it up a grand too high and nobody took the bait, you can also bet they factored in the tyres when giving the previous owner their PX price - so if it is now priced more realistically, I'd hit them with £10,750 and settle at £11,000 (assuming that's the fair price). Demand a 2 year warranty too.

What's the spec/miles - can you find something comparable to it for a baseline value??
Sideways yo!

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 07:27:00 pm »
What does it book at?

Ignore all the flannel, he hasn't 'knocked' a grand off, they had it up a grand too high and nobody took the bait, you can also bet they factored in the tyres when giving the previous owner their PX price - so if it is now priced more realistically, I'd hit them with £10,750 and settle at £11,000 (assuming that's the fair price). Demand a 2 year warranty too.

What's the spec/miles - can you find something comparable to it for a baseline value??

:notworthy: :notworthy:

I like you style, are you busy tomorrow morning by any chance??  :grin:

I will have to remember what you say about them pricing it too high when he says about them dropping the price by a grand, he's bound to come out with it again in the morning.

It's on 54000 miles, full leather, automatic, Extended interior lighting pack(???), cruise, Head light washers, Auto dim mirrors, electric folding mirrors.

When I look on their site, everything else is dearer, it's even cheaper than a lot of non franchise car dealers.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 07:36:52 pm »
Seems keenly priced then, lack of 'Nav and xenons are why he still has it, but looking past that = bargains.  :happy2:

Be firm, state your offer and put your card on the table ready for the deposit. They'll tell you're serious and hopefully give.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 07:38:29 pm by tony_danza »
Sideways yo!

Offline gti yorks

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 07:45:50 pm »
Seems keenly priced then, lack of 'Nav and xenons are why he still has it, but looking past that = bargains.  :happy2:

Be firm, state your offer and put your card on the table ready for the deposit. They'll tell you're serious and hopefully give.

Wasn't to fussed about nav, but I did really want xenons but any cars in my budget had too many miles for my liking. Can xenons be retro fitted on an E90??

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 07:49:22 pm »
what dealer?stratstone?
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline gti yorks