Make a donation

Author Topic: engine internals - GTI and ED30  (Read 1991 times)

Offline true-blue

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 3
engine internals - GTI and ED30
« on: May 09, 2009, 10:07:10 am »

Does the Gti have the same basic engine and internals as the ED30 ? in other words, is it possible to get the same power safely from the gti by bolting on a K04 etc and then getting it mapped ?

Cheers.
Octavia Vrs MKII - KO4, forge twintercooler, S3 Injectors, APR HPFP, RS4 FP Valve, Pipeworx 3'' DP and Sports cat, Piper non res exhuast, ITG Maxogen, Quaife Dif, sachs clutch kit, NQSBBBK with RS4-2 pads, H&R SS Coilovers with adjustable koni inserts.
Good for 328 BHP on JKM's rollers !!

Offline BMX

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
Re: engine internals - GTI and ED30
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2009, 10:15:53 am »
the edition 30 has different internals
"If Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."

Offline garethmk1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 11:04:54 am »
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1911.0

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2896.0

The topic has been covered quite a bit on this forum and elsewhere - the above links should assist you.

Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30 No:- 2101, 3Dr, Tornado Red, Rear Tints, RCD510 & Sound Pack, Arm Rest
Mk1 Golf GTi 16v Helios Blue, Too Many Mods To List .... MY First Car ! Owned Since 1996 !!! NEARLY READY !!!!!

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 01:27:34 am »
they are a little different but bolting on a K04 to the GTI engine gets similar results - sometimes better as the compression ratio is slightly different.

Offline jonnyc

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
  • Herrooooo!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 08:40:16 am »
they are a little different but bolting on a K04 to the GTI engine gets similar results - sometimes better as the compression ratio is slightly different.

Theconpression ratio is a tiny bit less with the Ed30 pistons.. This means that you will not be able to run as much boost or timing with the GTI as you will get ore ignition earlier..

This translates to roughly 15hp less with a K04 on a GTI when compared to the Ed30
APR Stage III TT-RS - 11.37 1/4 mile - 2.82 0-60 MPH

Build thread http://www.vagoc.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=3128

Offline true-blue

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 09:02:36 am »
Thanks for all the replies gents.... got all the info I need for the time being cheers.

With the price difference between the Ed30 and the Gti think I'll be sticking with the Gti for now and modding it over time :smiley:

...do love the Ed30   :drool:

but don't think I can justify the extra beer tokens to the Mrs.
Octavia Vrs MKII - KO4, forge twintercooler, S3 Injectors, APR HPFP, RS4 FP Valve, Pipeworx 3'' DP and Sports cat, Piper non res exhuast, ITG Maxogen, Quaife Dif, sachs clutch kit, NQSBBBK with RS4-2 pads, H&R SS Coilovers with adjustable koni inserts.
Good for 328 BHP on JKM's rollers !!