Make a donation

Author Topic: DanGB's Leon Sport TFSI 4WD Sleeper - The End  (Read 96463 times)

Offline E30Dom

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
Re: DanGB's Leon Sport TFSI - Update 04/07
« Reply #75 on: July 04, 2012, 03:33:03 pm »
Engines all good now thanks to APR for there help, so Head being sent off for some high-flowing goodness to APR USA :happy2: Should be interesting to see the results from that!

Also got a nice de-cat pipe made up by Alex @ AKS, ive not seen it yet, but everyone reckons its really good! Cant wait to hear the sound difference either  :smiley:

Is there a job lot on high flow APR heads at the mo... ?
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #76 on: July 04, 2012, 03:48:10 pm »
Engines all good now thanks to APR for there help, so Head being sent off for some high-flowing goodness to APR USA :happy2: Should be interesting to see the results from that!

Also got a nice de-cat pipe made up by Alex @ AKS, ive not seen it yet, but everyone reckons its really good! Cant wait to hear the sound difference either  :smiley:

Is there a job lot on high flow APR heads at the mo... ?

Might well be!
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #77 on: July 04, 2012, 04:13:06 pm »
Well just glad you're getting it sorted mate!
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #78 on: July 04, 2012, 04:37:29 pm »

Looks like 50,000 miles at Stage 2+ in 18 months has taken its tole on my poor BWA engine

Strip and Sell time :(

Think next couple of years we will hear about a lot more of the BWA engines having problems with the intake cams as even though you put the new follower in it has already done the damage!!

....Another reason to ignore some folks on here and to stay on Revo Stage 2 on my K03 engine. Actually it's an AXX, not a BWA, engine - Are they much different regarding this potential issue?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Different
« Reply #79 on: July 04, 2012, 04:48:35 pm »

Looks like 50,000 miles at Stage 2+ in 18 months has taken its tole on my poor BWA engine

Think next couple of years we will hear about a lot more of the BWA engines having problems with the intake cams as even though you put the new follower in it has already done the damage!!

....Another reason to ignore some folks on here and to stay on Revo Stage 2 on my K03 engine. Actually it's an AXX, not a BWA, engine - Are they much different regarding this potential issue?

In theory I would of through the AXX would be more suseptable to the issues as they would proably have the A cam rather than the later B cam.

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #80 on: July 04, 2012, 05:06:35 pm »

In theory I would of through the AXX would be more suseptable to the issues as they would proably have the A cam rather than the later B cam.

Ive had a BWA come in recently which had a fooked 'A' cam fitted!

Robin, its worth checking of you have an A cam in yours and getting it changed for a B as stage 2+ with the APR pump will put alot more strain on the cam.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2012, 05:15:13 pm »

Ive had a BWA come in recently which had a fooked 'A' cam fitted!

Robin, its worth checking of you have an A cam in yours and getting it changed for a B as stage 2+ with the APR pump will put alot more strain on the cam.

....Thanks for helpful advice, yet again, Alex  :drinking:

I have no intention of upping from Revo Stage 2 to 2+ (even if it was free of charge). I do have the APR pump now.

Is it easy (and therefore not expensive) to have the A cam checked? How do I learn which version my AXX engine has?

[Apologies for the temporary thread hijack, DanGB]

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2012, 06:32:43 pm »
The only real way is to take the cam side cover off and have a look at the end of the cam.  The A cam is one piece where the B cam has the fuel pump lobe pressed on and is visibly two piece.

If you are on Revo Stg 2 then the pump may already be running at 130bar.

The cam is fairly easy for a good garage to do.  Book time is around 7 hours iirc, but there is a much faster way of doing them which can bring the time down to around 4 hours for the complete job.

How long has it been since the follow was last done?

Back on Dan's thread...

Is the engine back together now is is the head off with Steve's for some 'play'?
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Different
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2012, 07:06:02 pm »
Yep, engine is/was together and head is being worked on. Needed some work up there anyway as it sounded like a 'bucket' was stuck, causing a tappety noise recently.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2012, 08:17:19 pm »

The only real way is to take the cam side cover off and have a look at the end of the cam.  The A cam is one piece where the B cam has the fuel pump lobe pressed on and is visibly two piece.

If you are on Revo Stg 2 then the pump may already be running at 130bar.

The cam is fairly easy for a good garage to do.  Book time is around 7 hours iirc, but there is a much faster way of doing them which can bring the time down to around 4 hours for the complete job.

How long has it been since the follow was last done?

....7 hrs!?  :surprised: Even 4 hrs would be expensive.

The Cam Follower was last done only a few weeks ago by JKM when they installed my APR HPFP.

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Different
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2012, 01:52:00 pm »
Bit of a late update, but here goes.

Had the APR RSC exhaust decatted, and of course the hi flow work on the head down a the other month.

Oy my God how good does it sound through tunnels, its like a touring car, its unbeleivable how good the sound from this 2.0T is!
The beauty is that on motorways theres no drone at all, and its only when you put your foot down on full chat that it really opens up, and is great!

I'll try and get some clips if i can.

Car currently being tweaked again map wise, and aircon removed, for that little bit extra oomph, then some more changes coming very soon  :driver:

The watermeth has decided to stop working for no reason so ive lost interest in that!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Re: DanGB's Leon Sport TFSI - Update 08/10
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2012, 04:00:34 pm »

Can't wait for the 'other changes'  :evilgrin: :party:

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Different
« Reply #87 on: October 10, 2012, 10:53:58 am »
Oh I managed to do this last time I visited santa pod:

The first run we had the powerflex dogbone mount rubber insert broke in half, leaving some on the start line.
We then replaced the whole mount with an OEM one in  a rush job, and on the first run back, this happened on the burn up, we still did a 13.5 run with it broken though  :P

I had the two side engine mount replaced with VWRacing mounts recently, but they did not realise the lower mount had not been done, thats done now thankfully, so this shouldnt happen again.  :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #88 on: October 10, 2012, 12:21:55 pm »
any more plans on the power front?  Are you  running the same GTX28 turbo as on keiths Golf R?

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Different
« Reply #89 on: October 10, 2012, 12:30:56 pm »
Not sure on the power front, depends on the waterweth, if it decides to work.
We had a boost leak of some sort so thats being looked at now, as that was probably robbing power.

Its running the possibly slightly larger but older GT2871R, where as Keith's GolfR is The newer and maybe better GTX2867 I believe.