Make a donation

Poll

Should I keep my OE engine cover or fit another intake?

Keep OE engine cover
5 (16.1%)
Fit an ITG maxogen
16 (51.6%)
Fit a VWR intake
3 (9.7%)
Wait for the new APR carbonio
2 (6.5%)
Buy the missis another handbag lol
5 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Intake! To fit or not to fit? That is the question.  (Read 3994 times)

dockermel

Re: Intake! To fit or not to fit? That is the question.
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 03:46:21 pm »
tht you ment made one like blue peter style cardboard,toilet rolls and sticky back plastic :signLOL: (showing my age now) :jumping:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 03:48:39 pm »
Itsgenerally just fit and go because the ECU has enough adaptation built in to adjust accordingly.

However if you are stage 2 already and your map is pretty aggressive, such as a REVO stage 2 map, you might find that the extra boost resulting from installing an intake can cause the car to experience fuel cut.  Robin had his boost turned down aftr fitting his to stop this happening, but his fuel pump is now struggling so hes had to upgrade that now as a precautionary measure

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 04:33:33 pm »

Itsgenerally just fit and go because the ECU has enough adaptation built in to adjust accordingly.

However if you are stage 2 already and your map is pretty aggressive, such as a REVO stage 2 map, you might find that the extra boost resulting from installing an intake can cause the car to experience fuel cut.  Robin had his boost turned down aftr fitting his to stop this happening, but his fuel pump is now struggling so hes had to upgrade that now as a precautionary measure

....Exactly  :happy2:

The plus side is that I have peace of mind with a strong aftermarket high pressure fuel pump (APR) and can restore my Revo 2 Boost setting and get some power back.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 08:52:44 pm »
has anyone made their own intake? - would be interesting to know / see results / a video

I am going to do my own using an OE airbox. I will be taking logs before and after to see the difference in airflow and will hopefully be able to report on subjective noise levels and throttle response.

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 09:44:34 pm »
has anyone made their own intake? - would be interesting to know / see results / a video

I am going to do my own using an OE airbox. I will be taking logs before and after to see the difference in airflow and will hopefully be able to report on subjective noise levels and throttle response.

keep me updated on this one fella specially with some pictures and build guide if the results are good!"

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 10:17:11 pm »
tbh KREGIEL is right.  If you dont want noise, then i wouldnt get an intake because they are all noisy.

Whats your mod lst.  There must be something missing off your list worthy of £350 of your hard earned

My mod list so far is almost all in my signture, apart from the eibachs, S3 console bushes and rs4 valve. I am going to fit a new lower mount to stop the engine movement. From experience if you can suggest anything worth while then please do :happy2:

I might opt to fit a hybrid as me and Jim have discussed this at length. Should be interesting to see the results.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 10:25:42 pm »
can you recommend any engine mounts octy? and ill defo sticky your hybrid as iv been really interested and asked before whether a k03/04 would work!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 10:28:31 pm »

I can recommend some mounts  :innocent:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 10:34:10 pm »
^^^^
When fitting engine mounts it's a good idea to do all three as it distributes the forces more evenly/better.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2012, 11:21:34 am »

My mod list so far is almost all in my signture, apart from the eibachs, S3 console bushes and rs4 valve. I am going to fit a new lower mount to stop the engine movement. From experience if you can suggest anything worth while then please do :happy2:

I might opt to fit a hybrid as me and Jim have discussed this at length. Should be interesting to see the results.

Tt lower arms, anti roll bars, pads all woukd be high on my list before intake.  Youve alreafy got pretty good power

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2012, 11:43:02 am »

Tt lower arms, anti roll bars, Lower mount pads all woukd be high on my list before intake.  Youve alreafy got pretty good power

Corrected  :P

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2012, 03:17:18 pm »
can you recommend any engine mounts octy? and ill defo sticky your hybrid as iv been really interested and asked before whether a k03/04 would work!

I am looking at the THS mounts at the moment. I like that they are better by design but still rubber, so should keep engine vibration down and decrease engine movement. I had thought about the VWR ones etc but I want to try and keep engine vibration in the cabin to a minimum.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box