Make a donation

Author Topic: How to deal with the hosepipe ban?  (Read 17067 times)

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
Re: How to deal with the hosepipe ban?
« Reply #60 on: May 12, 2012, 05:21:33 pm »
Most places have only had the drought classification lifted but the hosepipe ban is still in force

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #61 on: May 12, 2012, 09:32:46 pm »
Took advantage of the break in the constant rain to wash the car. Of course being under Thames water jurisdiction i couldn't use a hosepipe so proceeded to legally use about 3 times the amount of water i ordinarily would use because i had to use a bucket to rinse every 2 seconds...   :confused: The law is an ass that i could have faced a £1k fine for using less water  :rolleye:

Whilst washing i noticed that the drivers side front headlight has popped out of its seating slightly on the bottom left corner as you look at it, i can't for the life in me fathom how it has happened as there are no scratches or scuffs anywhere near that region and there are no marks on the headlight itself..? Anyone else ever had this happen?

I took a quick look to see if i could reseat it but from what i can tell you have to take off a good deal of the front of the car in order to get at the lights - is this so and if so is it easy enough to do, i have the correct torx screwdrivers.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 09:34:51 pm by Frenzy »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #62 on: May 12, 2012, 11:58:57 pm »

Rinse the car down at the local jet wash? They don't appear to be affected by the ban :smiley:

....I always use the local jet wash just to pressure hose water before going home to handwash. Gets some of the stuff off to start with and especially as my hose at home doesn't deliver so much high pressure.

How do you rinse afterwards Robin - is it a trip back down there?

....I rinse using my garden hose - It works well enough to rinse. No hosepipe bans down here anyway.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline beetie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 34
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #63 on: May 13, 2012, 09:44:41 am »
Also, I heard the ban has been lifted in certain parts(?).

I've no idea whether it affects me in the East midlands - is there a conclusive list of the areas that have had the ban lifted after the recent downpours?
Ta.

If you're severn Trent, like I am, then you are ok. They have never brought a ban in this year.

Offline Ashley g

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Durward's Autoshop
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2012, 07:23:11 pm »
I'm not risking a grand fine, so just bought one of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140731829200?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1952.l2649
2007 Edition 30, build number 30 - APR Stealth TBE - APR HPFP- APR stage 2 remap - Custom CAI - KW Clubsports - 10mm spacers on rear - VW Motorsport LSD, clutch & quick shift - A few poly bushes here and there!

*SOLD AND I MISS IT!! ANYONE SELLING A NICE ED30 PM ME* - UPDATE - I HAVE IT BACK!!!

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2012, 07:44:04 pm »
Plug my hose into my waterbut and connect to jetwash, job done :happy2:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: May 20, 2012, 01:29:49 pm »
I'm not risking a grand fine, so just bought one of these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140731829200?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1952.l2649

Those are much cheaper than I thought Ashley! Pretty cool.

Does it have enough pressure in it to attack the skirts, sills and arches in reality?
Ta  :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #67 on: May 20, 2012, 03:30:48 pm »
^^^ just picking up on the fact you use the word 'attack' maybe you don't actually mean that but just in case...

You don't really want to go at dirt on a vehicle too hard with a blasting jet of water, all you'll end up doing is embedding fine pieces of grit and metal into your paintwork.

If you do use a pressure washer make sure you are angling the jet at the bodywork rather than aiming it in a direct manner / face on.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:33:55 pm by Frenzy »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #68 on: May 20, 2012, 03:50:49 pm »
^^^^
That's a good tip, Frenzy  :drinking:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2012, 04:18:21 pm »
^^^ just picking up on the fact you use the word 'attack' maybe you don't actually mean that but just in case...

You don't really want to go at dirt on a vehicle too hard with a blasting jet of water, all you'll end up doing is embedding fine pieces of grit and metal into your paintwork.

If you do use a pressure washer make sure you are angling the jet at the bodywork rather than aiming it in a direct manner / face on.

Nope, purely aggravation so it's loose and comes off nicely  :happy2:

For £8 I wondered if it was going to be more like a tap flow rather than with some power like a normal hose pipe nozzle.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
water butt filter?
« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2012, 07:10:21 pm »
Exploring a few solotions for using water butts and a power washer.... has anyone got one of these? http://www.gardening-naturally.com/acatalog/Hose_Water_Filter.html

2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
Re: water butt filter?
« Reply #71 on: May 21, 2012, 09:51:57 pm »
Exploring a few solotions for using water butts and a power washer.... has anyone got one of these? http://www.gardening-naturally.com/acatalog/Hose_Water_Filter.html

Scrap that, just tried my dads Karcher with a bucket and hose and works perfect...all of 40 seconds  :P

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
Re: water butt filter?
« Reply #72 on: May 21, 2012, 10:50:16 pm »

Scrap that, just tried my dads Karcher with a bucket and hose and works perfect...all of 40 seconds  :P

What do u mean you just had a bucket and hose and it worked  :confused:

I just bought a Karcher and intend installing a water butt to use it - not sure of what connections etc. I need to buy to get it to work??  :scared:
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2012, 01:25:53 pm »
I use my karcher and a standard female hose attachment plugs int the tap on the butt no probs!

Also use a 25litre container/bucket with a small piece of hose connected to the Karcher and open hose end submerged in the bucket/container, works exacly the same as connected to the mains.

Also the benefit is that it is rain water and it does not leave any marks on the car when drying :happy2:

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2012, 04:17:20 pm »
I use my karcher and a standard female hose attachment plugs int the tap on the butt no probs!

Also use a 25litre container/bucket with a small piece of hose connected to the Karcher and open hose end submerged in the bucket/container, works exacly the same as connected to the mains.

Also the benefit is that it is rain water and it does not leave any marks on the car when drying :happy2:

Yup what he said ^ Hose from bucket to Karcher. My pa's got a K3.8, the one with a soap dispensor. The ad's ive seen for karcher recently have quoted all karchers draw water from water butts. I would be a bit wary of using rain water straight from the butt. Unless youve got a filter, you could be spraying tiny bits of grit at your car and not realising it. Not sure if karchers have built in filters. I would gues not.

HTH