Make a donation

Author Topic: Tyre Rim Protector  (Read 4929 times)

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
Tyre Rim Protector
« on: May 10, 2009, 08:26:52 pm »
I thought I'd ask a question before I order a new set of tyres.

At the moment I have a mismatch on the car after I swaped a pair of Contactsport 2's for some Falken FK452's. But I'm a little concerned as to the lack of rim protector on the FK452s. At the time I had only the cash for some mediocre tyres (I'd only just bought the car) so I went for the best bang for buck tyre on the market - the FK452.

As you can see the FK452's dont seem to have a rim protector, they dont extrude the alloy rim like the conti 2's do that I currently have on the front.

FK452's

Continental ContactSport 2's

I'm considering either a set of Conti's 2 or 3's or Goodyear Assymetric's? Can anyone confirm if any of these have rim protector's?

Offline winrya

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 16
Re: Tyre Rim Protector
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2009, 08:31:11 pm »
I can confirm the goodyears have a nice big rim protector on them :happy2:

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2009, 08:34:25 pm »
Theres no doubting that the FK452's look the part but (I dont mean to sound like a sissy) its always useful to have a plan B.

Offline DubwayDan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 08:50:57 pm »
ive just bought a full set of toyo t1-r's and they have quite a big rim protector, ill try get a pic  :wink:

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2009, 09:37:24 pm »
My Goodyear asymetrics have a good rim protector (hard to see from the top, but you can see the rubber sticking out at the bottom of the alloy)

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2009, 09:49:58 pm »
The Conti 2's seem to bulge out from the rim (you can see this from the pic I've posted), its almost like they appear to be a wider tyre (even though they are both 225) to the FK452's.

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 11:34:09 am »
I've got Conti 2s on the back and Conti 3s on the front (couldn't get hold of any more 2s when I needed some new rubber and couldn't afford/justify 4 Conti 3s). I've got 8'' wide rims and the 2s look like the fit sqaure but don't offer that much rim protection, however the 3s have mahoosive big fat bands of rubber over the lip of the rim making the tyre look like it has a slight stretch even and I would think it would take some clumsy parking to scratch a rim with those on. I'm not going to experiment though.
Andy
7R

Offline The wheel man

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 05:16:27 pm »
I wonder how much the rim protector actually does?  Ive always thought that a small bit of rubber would be hard pressed to stop a rim hitting something with the weight of a car behind it......

Anyone know anything about this / experience?
APR cat back, ECS Insert

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 06:55:39 pm »
I wonder how much the rim protector actually does?  Ive always thought that a small bit of rubber would be hard pressed to stop a rim hitting something with the weight of a car behind it......

i know that the large rim protector on a conti 3 tyre wont protect a rim at even a very very slow , very very light meeting with a curb   :ashamed: (my old BBS CK's)

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 07:27:43 pm »

You've never had experience of hitting a kerb? That surpises me.

With the Conti 2 setup I showed above, you'd be pretty careless to kerb the rim. You'd have to be flat up against the kerb.

Ifti

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2009, 07:44:45 pm »
I think the 452's look nicer on the wheel though TBH.
I also dont really think a rim protector really does a hell of a lot - just be careful when parking by a kerb!

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2009, 07:45:33 pm »

You've never had experience of hitting a kerb? That surpises me.

With the Conti 2 setup I showed above, you'd be pretty careless to kerb the rim. You'd have to be flat up against the kerb.

i must have been careless then  :confused:, no offence but i did mine and im far from careless (in my own humble opinion as i really didnt want to ruin a £400 rim !!), ps kerbing doesn't just involve parking, mine was done leaving a bloody stupid car park in Nottingham where the kerbs are very high, and very tight to turn in, as said mine was done at no speed at all and only very very lightly touched the kerb and it still marked the alloy, not bad, but bad enough for me

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2009, 07:50:59 pm »
I think the 452's look nicer on the wheel though TBH.

They do look a lot nicer in the flesh.

I went for the Assymetrics @ £121 each fitted at a local garage who have always been careful to not dammage the rim. You always know when a tyre shop will take their time to fit tyres when they show you the condition of the rim (edge etc) before fitting the tyre to make sure you are aware of any damage before fitting. So you can compare before and after etc.

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2009, 07:54:02 pm »
i must have been careless then  :confused:, no offence but i did mine and im far from careless (in my own humble opinion as i really didnt want to ruin a £400 rim !!), ps kerbing doesn't just involve parking, mine was done leaving a bloody stupid car park in Nottingham where the kerbs are very high, and very tight to turn in, as said mine was done at no speed at all and only very very lightly touched the kerb and it still marked the alloy, not bad, but bad enough for me

That point was not aimed at you. I was simply comparing my experience of the conti 2's with the FK452's shown in the pics above.

What was the tyre/rim setup? You also said conti 3's, I'm on about conti 2's. I've had 2's and 3's on my A4 and the 3's didnt seem to fit in the same way, with less of a square shape.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 07:57:17 pm by pazz »

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2009, 08:02:11 pm »
they were 19", and they looked about the same as the conti 2's

you can just about to make out the rim protector here