Make a donation

Author Topic: DSG Oil change  (Read 14444 times)

Offline Caz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • Golf GT Sport TDi - called Gordon
    • Email
Re: DSG Oil change
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2009, 08:20:44 pm »
they would road test the vehicle, as they do after anything engine related..

".. in the process of learning the vw service trade!"

Ifti

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 08:48:14 pm »
In that case, I'd be inclined to book the car in, wait for the oil to be changed, and then go on the road test as a passenger if possible!!

Offline pazz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2009, 09:53:42 pm »
I would find a dealer with a big catchment area and use them, purely on the basis that they will have done quite a few and know how to do it with a bit of experience as well.

Speaking of VW dealerships, I've just decided to change my local dealership. All they seem to do is Vdub Van's and the other day I asked for a VAGCOM option changing and they wanted to charge me labour for doing it (car was already in for waranty bits).

Offline iainalpine

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2009, 07:29:40 am »
Going by what has been said, there seems to be a bit of a price difference for the DSG servive and also for just getting the box serviced on its own. I have been quoted around the £50 mark for mine but this seems a bit cheap when i see what has been posted. i no gargaes will have a different labour rate but the difference is pretty extreme.

Iain
2006 MKV GTI, DSG, Stg2 Revo map, VWR front splitter, KWv3's, Eibach rollbars, Walk kit, Carbonio induction kit, Full Milltek exhaust system, Forge FMIC

Offline Caz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2009, 07:38:01 am »
£50 does seem a bit cheap..
vw allocated time is 0.90.. so then it just depends on labour..
its the oil and filter that needs doing

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2009, 08:47:59 am »

In that case, I'd be inclined to book the car in, wait for the oil to be changed, and then go on the road test as a passenger if possible!!

....Why be so paranoiac? The VW mechie/techie needs to check that everything is as it should be before it's signed off as satisfactory for you to pay for and take back. It's a matter of responsibilities - They have a responsibility to return your car to you in safe and working order.

What harm is the VW guy likely to do to your car testing it that you are worried about?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline iainalpine

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2009, 09:11:13 am »
RedRobin, I lecture in automotive engineering and have quite a good insight into what actually goes on in the garages. People say knowledge is power but in this case its fear as its a bit hit and miss when it comes to getting things done the way they should be done. My mission was to find out all the in's and out's of the DSG service from guys on here as there is quite a few that have had this carried out. Thousands of pounds for a new box a year down the line doesnt wash to well with me due to it not being serviced by the book, and my car is out of its 3 years cover in august.

Iain
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 09:13:38 am by iainalpine »
2006 MKV GTI, DSG, Stg2 Revo map, VWR front splitter, KWv3's, Eibach rollbars, Walk kit, Carbonio induction kit, Full Milltek exhaust system, Forge FMIC

Offline NeilM

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 10:39:10 am »
Personally I don't use VW dealers for work on my car (only the first service), I'd much rather have people I know and trust and have carried out all the mods over the last 2 years work on the car rather than a 17yr old on work experience. Having the book stamped by VW doesnt bother me, (A Mechanic at AMD wants to buy it anyway). :happy2:

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2009, 11:02:49 am »

....Why be so paranoiac? The VW mechie/techie needs to check that everything is as it should be before it's signed off as satisfactory for you to pay for and take back. It's a matter of responsibilities - They have a responsibility to return your car to you in safe and working order.

What harm is the VW guy likely to do to your car testing it that you are worried about?

Dont go there Robin!, erh where do i start!!. Bonnet and wheel damage to start......

i would be wanting to be the passenger aswell tbh.

Its bad enough having to go back to get my steering module done at the garage that managed to damage it last time out.Their Senior Mechanic is doing the work and not some Hungry looking teenager driving customers cars in and out of the workshops that i witnessed just this morning. :mad:
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 11:07:46 am by Phil Mcavity »

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2009, 04:21:17 pm »
@ iain, Neil, Phil :

Reading about your experiences, I really can't believe that my VW dealer is the only good one in the country! Surely I'm not the only person who reports good things rather than only bad experiences.

By treating people equally no matter who they are, and not as if I thought they were illiterate spotty teenagers, I have built up a strong working and very friendly relationship over my (nearly) 4 years of GTI ownership. My VW dealer knows who I am and understands my requirements. This relationship extends to their autonomous body shop (accident repair centre). The key to getting the best from people is by mutual respect and having a relationship (I'm hooking up with one of the VW guys at JapFest at Castle Combe this weekend - A shared enthusiasm).

I consider the Head Service Manager to be a friend of mine and he always arranges the timing of any work to be done on my car to be only done by their best couple of mechanics. The mechanic who works on a car is the one who drives it in and out of the workshop and is the one who test drives it afterwards, if appropriate. Okay, I have plenty of time, but if you care that much, then make time and give them the help to help you - You're meant to be on the same team.

I'm often in the workshop myself and there is also a glass wall rendering it like a goldfish bowl.

I have had 2 DSG full services - One by my VW dealer and the other by VWR when they installed my Quaife.

So, just because some of you have had bad experiences or lecture in the subject (I don't see how lecturing qualifies an insight unless it's direct experience), it doesn't automatically mean that all VW dealers should be avoided and I don't think it at all fair to suggest so to all those who read these forums.

:smiley:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Phil Mcavity

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 04:23:12 pm »

Wheres your spanner Robin, look like you know what your doing there :signLOL:

Offline NeilM

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2009, 05:13:01 pm »
Hey RR, what tune do your Air Horns play??

Offline Caz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2009, 05:24:01 pm »
@ iain, Neil, Phil :
So, just because some of you have had bad experiences or lecture in the subject (I don't see how lecturing qualifies an insight unless it's direct experience), it doesn't automatically mean that all VW dealers should be avoided and I don't think it at all fair to suggest so to all those who read these forums.

:smiley:

I agree fully. It's not nice hearing of ppl having bad experiences.. even more so, because I work in the service department myself. But you can't label everyone.

Offline iainalpine

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2009, 05:58:35 pm »
Robin, I have been involved in the trade for 18 years, from a basic mechanic to master tech to group master tech, manufacturer technical support, manager and now lecturer.. I have more experience than most. I have seen very good garages and top class mechanics. But in this day and age the quality found in the workshop has dropped due to tighter budgets, guys on the workshop floor not getting the training or time to follow procedure and due to all this not having pride in there work. This is not the case for everyone in the workshop as i said before but you are seeing it more often than not. Out of the 8 or so VW main dealers that i do technical visits to, i would say there are 4 good master tech's and one that outshines them all. He is mid 30's and has a real interest and pride in what he is doing. My idea of asking about the DSG service was to see all the things people have experienced with getting this done as i no for a fact that not everyone os getting the same quality of service.

Iain

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2009, 06:01:26 pm »
Robin, I have been involved in the trade for 18 years, from a basic mechanic to master tech to group master tech, manufacturer technical support, manager and now lecturer.. I have more experience than most. I have seen very good garages and top class mechanics. But in this day and age the quality found in the workshop has dropped due to tighter budgets, guys on the workshop floor not getting the training or time to follow procedure and due to all this not having pride in there work. This is not the case for everyone in the workshop as i said before but you are seeing it more often than not. Out of the 8 or so VW main dealers that i do technical visits to, i would say there are 4 good master tech's and one that outshines them all. He is mid 30's and has a real interest and pride in what he is doing. My idea of asking about the DSG service was to see all the things people have experienced with getting this done as i no for a fact that not everyone os getting the same quality of service.

Iain

Iain where do live  :smiley: