Make a donation

Author Topic: Thoughts on cars out of warranty?  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
Thoughts on cars out of warranty?
« on: April 08, 2012, 04:34:02 pm »
I'm one to trade a car in when the warranty is nearly out of date and the MOT is due.

I currently have a 2010 Corsa 1.2 which is pretty terrible...looking to trade it against a 2008 BMW 118D (I have a new job and its an 90 mile round trip so need a diesel).

It has 33k on the clock, anything to worry about/look out for?

What kind of guarentee do the dealers have to offer? (buy a warranty from the stealers or buy third party? (anyone specific?)

Cheers.
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Thoughts on cars out of warranty?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 04:39:07 pm »
Approved Used cars normally come with a year's warranty. the law is on your side for the first 3 months after purchase if no warranty is supplied - the trader is required to prove that the fault was not there at the time of purchase, or fix the car FOC. the following 3 months you have to prove that the fault was there at the time of purchase, and if so then they trader has to repair FOC.

3rd party warranties are relatively inexpensive, and on something like a BMW will pay for themselves after one or two faults (at £100/hr you can spend £1000/day just on fault finding if something goes wrong). however, there are a few things they won't cover (electrical gremlins for example).

i used to have a 2005/54 A3 that i owned from new (was a factory order) and within 6 months of the warranty running out my climate control compressor went. Extended Audi Warranty = £500 at the time. Compressor repair = £600. I'd already lost out.

i wouldn't even think about a car without a warranty personally, especially German machines. one fault and you'll wish you had the warranty.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 04:42:31 pm by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 06:20:36 pm »
BMW approved used warranty is worth its weight in gold, they'll replace anything pretty much without question. You should be able to haggle 2 years into the deal and then extend beyond that relatively cheaply for a 118d.
Sideways yo!

Offline perky85

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 06:30:40 pm »
If you are buying from a BMW dealership, all cars will be preped before sale, so should be in good shape before you have it.

Do a thorough road test before hand though, & if any faults be sure it is rectified before you take delivery.

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2012, 06:34:31 pm »
You still working for JCT600?
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline NeilM

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 01:36:55 pm »
Two weeks ago I had a new 7 speed Double clutch gear box in my 335i (25k/20 months old) under warranty thank f**k.

£9,250.00 Just for the box.

(completely slipped my mind to tell them about my runs at The Pod in it)   :signLOL:

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 04:17:36 pm »

No I left on Friday. I've got one of the sales guys trying to do me a good deal.

The one I have seen is from a Ford dealership. Need to stick around £5k on finance and could'nt come to an agreement. Was about £500 shy on my trade in. Currently got my uncle on the job seen as he used to work with Polar Ford. Failing that I will try get something through JCT600, should still be able to get a reasonable deal from them.

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 07:33:03 pm »

No I left on Friday. I've got one of the sales guys trying to do me a good deal.

The one I have seen is from a Ford dealership. Need to stick around £5k on finance and could'nt come to an agreement. Was about £500 shy on my trade in. Currently got my uncle on the job seen as he used to work with Polar Ford. Failing that I will try get something through JCT600, should still be able to get a reasonable deal from them.

Good luck in the new job, often had a quick look around jct on the roundabout in rawdon. You still in similar industry?
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 07:41:58 pm »
Thats the one I worked at!!

No that was just a job to tie me over until I found something more career wise. Im working for an Engineering firm as a works co-ordinator.

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 07:43:07 pm »
Two weeks ago I had a new 7 speed Double clutch gear box in my 335i (25k/20 months old) under warranty thank f**k.

(completely slipped my mind to tell them about my runs at The Pod in it)   :signLOL:

Ouch, I had a new engine in the edition 30 after 4000 miles and 4 months old, not sure how much that would have cost  :confused:

MyProtein - MP119633

Saintsteve

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 07:44:00 pm »

Ouch, I had a new engine in the edition 30 after 4000 miles and 4 months old, not sure how much that would have cost  :confused:

I bet a TTRS gearbox is similar cost as well ...

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 08:20:56 pm »
I had a new engine in my first V6 Mondeo. The lump was 5K back in 1996.

Shame it wasn't needed as it turns out the noise was due to oil starvation in the hydraulic tappets and completely normal.  :ashamed:  :evilgrin:

Saintsteve

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2012, 08:23:19 pm »
I had a new engine in my first V6 Mondeo. The lump was 5K back in 1996.

Shame it wasn't needed as it turns out the noise was due to oil starvation in the hydraulic tappets and completely normal.  :ashamed:  :evilgrin:

Oops, bet Ford Were happy with that warranty claim balls up  :signLOL:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 08:26:55 pm »
Like I cared. On all my Ford's the service manager always fought my corner. I had discs and pads, clutches and even tyres. They were excellent to deal with.  :wink: