Make a donation

Author Topic: Ep3 Type R owner looking to get a GTi DSG  (Read 4536 times)

Offline Dan.b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Ep3 Type R owner looking to get a GTi DSG
« on: April 18, 2012, 09:38:26 pm »
Hi guys,

I currently drive a civic type r. Used to have a mk3 Ibiza Cupra stage 2 and missing the boost!  :driver:

I will be selling up soon and looking to get a 3 door GTI DSG. I've driven a few in the past and really like the DSG.

Has anyone else come from a type r to golf?

Dan

Offline toughster

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Re: Ep3 Type R owner looking to get a GTi DSG
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 09:51:00 pm »
Welcome mate.  I switched from the ep3 to a 3dr black mk5 gti dsg back in December. 

Loved the civic but just found it too much effort to drive (having to keep the revs up to stay in the vtec  zone). The golf is a much easier drive but still as much fun as the civic.  I've also found the golf much easier to mod, the down side being its costing me a fortune!

Stick around this forum, there are some really good people on here who will keep you right when it comes to choosing a mk5   :driver:

Offline Dan.b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 10:00:27 pm »
Just what I wanted to hear! I do love my civic but as you said the high revving to get anywhere quick can get a bit boring!

What have you done to your golf?

I'm after a DSG 3 door with full heated leather, cruise control and sat Nav (if possible). What other options should I be looking out for?

R32UK

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 11:47:02 pm »
Just what I wanted to hear! I do love my civic but as you said the high revving to get anywhere quick can get a bit boring!

I'm after a DSG 3 door with full heated leather, cruise control and sat Nav (if possible). What other options should I be looking out for?

Xenons is something I really wanted... after a few golfs  they were top of the list, as a retro fit can be very expensive. along with armrest  :happy2:

Offline LeeGTI89

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 11:50:19 pm »
Welcome mate.

Another jap converted haha  :laugh:

Offline toughster

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 12:10:28 pm »

Wouldn't worry too much about cruise control as its cheap and easy to retrofit.  If I had my time again I would have gone for an Edition 30.  You get some extra ponies with the ED30 as well as colour coded rear and side skirts.  I would also have gone for Xenons.

So far all I have done is swap out the switches (windows, lights etc) for chrome tipped ones and had cruise control and multi function steering wheel buttons added- Thanks to Golfman.

But I have already bought;
RNS510 - the all singing, all dancing satnav stereo
WALK (whiteline anti lift kit)
Engine torque mount insert
Front control arm bushes

These are all getting fitted next month along with a Revo stage1 remap. Next up will be the colour coding rear and side skirts as I didn't get an ED30  :sad1:

Keep looking through the forum and that should help you decide what you want to go for, you'll also see how easy most of the retrofits are.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 12:44:34 pm »
Hi guys,

I currently drive a civic type r. Used to have a mk3 Ibiza Cupra stage 2 and missing the boost!  :driver:

I will be selling up soon and looking to get a 3 door GTI DSG. I've driven a few in the past and really like the DSG.

Has anyone else come from a type r to golf?

Dan

I came from a Champ White FN2 and although I love the golf for its every day useability (and its quicker now its mapped  :grin:), i do miss the lack of body roll on the civic and the LSD :confused:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Black9

• Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 01:25:18 pm »
I came from an EK9 R, import model. Hard to compare but the RS engine is razor sharp and handles really well. The Golf has brilliant steering feel and weight tho and handles well for a larger hatch. Also easier to mod and more satisfying in the beads. Don't think u will look back really

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2012, 11:12:57 am »
Welcome to the forum  :happy2:
GTI going...

Offline ED30_jase

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2012, 11:19:35 am »
I also moved from a modded Ep3 with coilovers etc to an ED30 DSG haven't looked back since you also should look at REVO stage 1 and DSG stage 1 transforms the car!

Also if you had coilovers etc on the EP3 you will miss the handling but once you get the golf sorted it will be far better than the EP3

Offline greygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2012, 02:12:35 pm »
I went from a highly modded ep3 (240bhp 175lbft coilovers the lot) to a 08 golf gti and standard car for standard car the gti is much better than the ep3 ,easier to live with day to day and still really tunable if needed