Make a donation

Author Topic: A road trip to Germany...  (Read 3623 times)

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 4
A road trip to Germany...
« on: April 09, 2012, 10:38:25 pm »
Hey guys...

Me and my mates are planning a road trip down to Germany in June. We've never been to Germany nor have we ever driven abroad so this will be a good experience. I need all the information and advice that you guys can give me  :smiley:

Also is there any car rental places in the uk that will hire out cars to 22 year olds? If not then we'll be taking our own.

Any help, advice and information is greatly appreciated  :happy2:

Offline Beddie

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
Re: A road trip to Germany...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 10:50:06 pm »
Drive on the right...  :happy2:

Seriously though, you'll have a blast, i've been going over for the last 5 years and still enjoy just driving over there, did a 3 week 2800 mile road trip back in 2008 and loved every minute  :smiley:

So many great places to visit, but i can recommend the Eifel region including the Nurburgring of course, The Black forest is perhaps my favourite part of Germany and the 'Black forest high road' is a must imo, Baden Baden is a nice place to stop and heading further south Lake Constance and the surrounding area is beautiful!

We did the Ring for a few days, then south to Baden Baden, then down to Freidrichshafen and Lake Constance for 4 days, popped over to Austria then into Switzerland taking in the Davos -Bormio road and ultimately the Stelvio Pass, back into Germany then to the Audi factory tour @ Ingolstadt, then headed over for a taste of the old eastern block with a stop in Leipzig for the Porsche factory, then up to Wolfsburg for a trip to the VW Autostadt again (well worth a trip!) Then back over to Munster which i found to be a really nice and buzzing University city  :smiley:

Mosel valley region and lots of places along the Rhine are lovely places too (Cochem in particular i like) and if you plan the route you'll find plenty of great roads, i love the place  :happy2:

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 03:20:35 pm »
Another vote for 'Ring and a day trip to Cochem (which is just around the corner really). Mosel valley is lovely.

Ive been going since 2008 (always planned to go a few years before, but something always got in the way) and love the place. But mostly go for the 'Ring.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 05:33:33 pm »
All of what's been mentioned is great, the Bavarian region and Munich in particular are super too.
Sideways yo!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 05:37:03 pm »
I used to live right next to the Eifel region.  The whole area is absolutely stunning.  

If yo can fit in a trip to Berlin its worth it.  Stunning place and absolutely awesome on the piss.  Then on your way back towards france stop by for a trackday at oschersleben Motorsport arena.  Quality track
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 05:40:49 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 06:30:09 pm »
Thanks for the reply guys  :drinking:

We will be checking out the Ring and maybe do one slow lap  :signLOL:
Munich is one place we will be visiting, the rest is all yet to be decided.

What would we need as in passports is a must and I know that I need to stick a GB sticker on the rear of the vehicle. Anything else?
You guys go via ferry or the channel tunnel?

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 06:36:17 pm »
Checklist of stuff

Pre-book a trip around the BMW factory whilst in Munich, even if you don't like them, it's an absolutely fascinating place. A trip up the Olympic tower over the road is well worth it too.

You won't need much help finding beer halls in Munich, but some of my favourites are:

Augustiner
Hofbräuhaus
Löwenbräukeller
Paulaner Bräuhaus
Sideways yo!

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2012, 07:13:01 pm »
Checklist of stuff

Pre-book a trip around the BMW factory whilst in Munich, even if you don't like them, it's an absolutely fascinating place. A trip up the Olympic tower over the road is well worth it too.

You won't need much help finding beer halls in Munich, but some of my favourites are:

Augustiner
Hofbräuhaus
Löwenbräukeller
Paulaner Bräuhaus

Top man :happy2:

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 08:51:02 am »
Don't forget to check your insurance! some policies only include a maximum amount of days your insured abroad. At 22 I think you might find it a bit more difficult to hire a decent car so would just stick to your GTI  :happy2:

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 10:06:32 am »
Would love to drive in Deutschland, although since I'm a tight Scots git I'd porbably only take my Golf if it was the GTD or GT TDI flavour, more money for  :drinking:

In my experience, I've had trouble renting anything bigger than an astra 1.6 under the age of 24  :fighting:
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 10:21:42 am »

I'd move back to Germany tomorrow  :sad1: :sad1:

Offline 81lly

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2012, 03:25:52 pm »
Don't forget to check your insurance! some policies only include a maximum amount of days your insured abroad. At 22 I think you might find it a bit more difficult to hire a decent car so would just stick to your GTI  :happy2:
I don't drive a GTI :sad1: but I do have a GT :happy2:

Would love to drive in Deutschland, although since I'm a tight Scots git I'd porbably only take my Golf if it was the GTD or GT TDI flavour, more money for  :drinking:

In my experience, I've had trouble renting anything bigger than an astra 1.6 under the age of 24  :fighting:

I'm finding it difficult to find anything decent, was hoping for a bigger & comfier (is that even a word?) car like the Range Rover or Q7.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 11:05:14 am »
Germany is by far my most favourite country for driving in. Even their 'B-roads' are amazing. But be aware that not all autobahns have unrestricted speed limits throughout their length. Lane discipline is far better there than in the UK too where centre lane hogging is shocking!  :fighting:

You might be cruising along at 120mph+ but watchout in your rear view mirrors for very fast Audi's, Mercs, Porsches, BMW's, etc which are doing 160mph+. That's where DRL's really help (and what prompted me to get mine).

I've been to/through Germany lots of times and the GTI, even when she's been loaded with 3 people and luggage, has been amazing. She is modified though.

Also, a town name sign is automatically the start of a speed limit zone and the same sign with a red diagonal stripe across it signifies the end of both the urban boundary and the end of the speed limit. There's much less signage. Respect and obey it and don't take the piss.

Oh, and be very careful when heading back through northern France - The French police love to catch English cars for speeding!

When you hit the M20 in the UK again 70 will feel like 40 - It's very very dull  :sad1:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 11:08:58 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 02:05:49 pm »
I'd move back to Germany tomorrow  :sad1: :sad1:

Remember "Britain is Great". (former British tourism advertising in Germany)  :happy2:

Living in Germany I much more would like to take a road trip to England, Wales and Scotland.  :wink:

I'd vote for:

- Brügge (Belgium)
- Aachen
- Nürburgring
- Mosel (Traben-Trarbach, Bernkastel-Kues (amazing sounding uphill tunnel) and castle "Burg Eltz"
- Trier (oldest city in Germany, near Luxemburg and French border)
- Freiburg /Breisgau
- Black Forest
- "Bodensee" Lake Constance > "Meinau" island
- "Allgäu"

If you have the time, via "Fernpass" and "Reschenpass" through Austria to Italy.
The "Stifser Joch" (passo di Stelvio) would also be a great (driving) experience.
If you visit northern Italy don't miss Verona and Venice.

:happy2:
"You get what you pay for."

Offline campbell511

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 03:09:15 pm »
+1 for the Hofbräuhaus in Munich  :drinking: Beware the Stein though as the beer is stronger. We used Wombats hostels when on our euro trip in both Berlin and Munich which were excellent. Although we didnt drive so no idea regarding secure parking.