Make a donation

Author Topic: Reliability of our MKV's  (Read 9967 times)

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
Re: Reliability of our MKV's
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2009, 03:26:15 pm »
Some of the posts regarding problems are rants, where people discover faults and blow off a bit of steam on the forum to get it out of their system before they do the rational bit and get it looked at.
Some of the posts are questions and forums are by far the best place to ask as by and large the members aren't looking to make any money out of you unlike a dealer/garage etc
And some owners are just plain fussy!!! Seriously though, VW have for as long as I can remember marketed the Golf as very slightly upmarket hatch, reflecting the very slightly better engineering going into the car and thus people are going to be picky when it comes to faults as they have paid top dollar for the car.

Having owned 2 mk5s and also a mk4 (plus 2x mk3s and a good few mk2s and even a mk1 many years ago!!!) with a Bora still in the family, I don't think the mk5 is lower quality. The interior of the mk5 has a slightly cheaper looking plastic because that lovely rubber padded interior on the mk4s used to peel and looks nasty as soon as it gets scratched. My Dad's Bora's interior isn't wearing well at all and it doesn't get hard use. My mk4 had a new gearbox before 60k miles and my Leon Cupra (same thing basically) had any number of electrical problems. My first mk5 (soot chucker) had a few issues with its turbo causing a slightly shaky idle but nothing else, and as for my present car, I'm not going to comment as it will curse it!!!!  :laugh:
Andy
7R

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2009, 04:00:11 pm »
Ha ha, slightly off topic, but I can't help noticing how busy Very Cherry has been with the banners  :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 04:02:40 pm by Norbreck21a »

sciroccosig by Sootchucker, on Flickr

Offline Lynsey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2009, 04:15:11 pm »
In 2½ years of ownership with mine, I can say he's not been 'too' bad!  All bits and pieces that seem to have 'technical difficulty' all seem to have been around the vicinity of the dash board area....

Worst thing (and potentially most expensive had there not been warranty) was the whole MFD unit in the dash completely going defunked when he was 3 months old so that had to be replaced.  Oh and I'm on radio number 3 ... not bad going  :happy2:

A few other bits and pieces but don't wanna jinx it else my engine will drop out on the way home or something !!

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2009, 04:28:37 pm »

Some of the posts regarding problems are rants, where people discover faults and blow off a bit of steam on the forum to get it out of their system before they do the rational bit and get it looked at.

Some of the posts are questions and forums are by far the best place to ask as by and large the members aren't looking to make any money out of you unlike a dealer/garage etc

And some owners are just plain fussy!!! Seriously though, VW have for as long as I can remember marketed the Golf as very slightly upmarket hatch, reflecting the very slightly better engineering going into the car and thus people are going to be picky when it comes to faults as they have paid top dollar for the car.

....All so true! :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2009, 05:53:24 pm »
Ha ha, slightly off topic, but I can't help noticing how busy Very Cherry has been with the banners  :laugh:

Ditto. I want to design a better signature picture but at the mo, don't have the time. I need some lazy weekends.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2009, 09:36:58 pm »

And have you seen the spelling on yours?   :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Offline chip20

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 8
    • http://absolutevaletinguk.co.uk/
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2009, 10:02:06 pm »
Hi.I have owned my 06 plate gti for a year and not had a problem with it.I have always owned new minis up untill 2007 and i was never away from the dealer!My last cooper s had to be bought back off me it had that many faults! :sad:

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2009, 10:20:33 pm »

And have you seen the spelling on yours?   :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

Ha ha, hadn't noticed that until now  :signLOL:

I'll have a word with VC and see if he can change it.

Offline illyun

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2009, 11:13:40 am »

:happy2:

Offline NEWEY

• Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 9
    • Flickr
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2009, 11:35:55 am »
10,200 miles and not a problem. as for the mk2 thats only broke down about 4 times in its life time (one of them was yesterday when the clutch cable went)

TSR powered 1.9 16v mk2 Golf GTI
TSR big turbo mk5 golf gti

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2009, 06:58:59 pm »

....But perhaps VC did it on purpose : - Eco Money

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Norbreck21a

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2009, 12:31:21 am »
Would have been a nice idea Robin, but to be fair to VC, it turns out it was my fault. I misspelled it when I sent the details to him.

Watt it wood bee lyke to bee abal to spewl proparlee? :grin:

Offline Mark_GTIV

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 23
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2009, 04:35:49 pm »
getting back to topic  :grin:  :innocent: ..

I've had a few VAG products over the years :

1971 Beetle 1600S - (owned it for a year and half between 1998-00 - Never an engine issue, unless you count the perished fuel lines that made you high on petrol vapour and the constant swimming pool at your feet)
1985 Golf 2 8v GTI - (owned it for a year in 1995 - Ran flawlessly - never any issues)
1992 Golf 2 16v GTI - (owned it for two years, between 1996-98 - Ran flawlessly - never any issues)
1993 Golf 3 1.4 (don't ask) - (owned it for a year in 1994-95 - Ran flawlessly - never any issues)
1995 Polo 1.0 (also.. don't ask) - (owned it for a year 1995-96 - Ran flawlessly - never any issues)
1996 Golf 3 1.8 SE (owned it for a year 1996-97 - Ran flawlessly - never any issues)
1995 Corrado VR6 Storm (owned it for a year 1997-98 - supposed to be a VW approved used car, but exhaust fell off and electronic REV counter failed requiring a new dashboard -  all fixed under VW dealer warranty)
1998 Golf 4 1.4 (owned it a year 1998-99 - Ran flawlessly - never any issues)
1995 Audi RS2 Avant (owned it a year 2003-04 Required new DV, Porsche brake disks to be redrilled/cleaned, new wishbone and lots of bushings )
2005 VW Caddy 1.6 Life MPV (based on Golf 5 underpinnings) (owned it 2 years - 2005-07 - Thermostatically controlled radiator fan had a mind of it's own and needed replacing under warranty .. that's it)

and now we run a 1999 New Beetle (obviously based upon the MK4 Golf). We've had it a while now and have done about  58,000 miles on it with no issues.

My Golf V GTI is a 2007,which I've owned since new for two years, it has required nothing and up until recently has been running the stage 1 bluefin software for the last 24,000 miles. It's now on the stage 2 software and has done  a total of 26,800 miles and still looks and feels like the day it was delivered.