Make a donation

Author Topic: RedRobin's Mk5 GTI @ 100,000 miles….  (Read 21302 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
RedRobin's Mk5 GTI @ 100,000 miles….
« on: April 13, 2012, 06:12:43 pm »
I must admit that I had been dreading reaching 100,000 miles, especially as it has coincided with me becoming an OAP, at least officially if not in mind. The fear was that it would be the beginning of the end but in fact it's the beginning of yet another new era. Generally the car feels the same to drive as it did after 50,000 miles - Gosh, that now looks such a small number when written! For those who don't know, she's a Mk5 GTI K03 built in July 2005 and owned by myself from new.

I've never created a build thread on the forum and quite honestly it would be very tedious and longwinded to do so retrospectively. I've been running Revo Stage 2 for a while and when a Forge Twintake was installed JKM needed to reduce the Boost setting a notch to compensate for my OEM fuel pump. A dyno day session at JKM this February showed a drop in bhp to around 244 from a maximum of 269 in 2011 and it was thought that, subject to logging and investigation, perhaps the valves might need replacing. Fortunately, this was not the case and Jim at JKM took the opportunity to inspect the stems etc and they were found to be surprisingly clean which is unexpected for a high mileage 2.0T FSI engine. Having a catch tank probably helps more than anticipated, as does changing the oil every 10,000 miles regardless of Volkswagen's longer service intervals. I also change the plugs every 20,000 miles. All these actions have been recommended to me by professionals as being a good maintenance practice for performance modified cars.

JKM's investigation diagnosed that the OEM fuel pump was occasionally struggling although I hadn't experienced any dreaded fuel cuts but just sometimes a lag in response when pushing on hard. My choices were an OEM replacement but that wouldn't have solved the problem; Autotech internals fitted to my existing pump; Or an APR High Pressure Fuel Pump built for purpose and guaranteed to handle whatever is thrown at it. The APR is by far the most expensive option but I had to put my money where my mouth has always been on the subject in the forum. Installing the APR also allowed the Revo Boost setting to go back up a notch and my car return from 'Stage 1.5' to Stage 2.

Also, a new MAF was needed - The first since the car was built. So my 100,000 mile oil service at JKM also resulted in the APR HPFP, new Cam Follower (although not needed yet), new MAF, new replacement Forge Twintake filters, new fuel filter, and new NGK Iridium spark plugs.

I've driven 780 miles this week and she feels fresh and invigorated - So do I !!

Something I have learnt from modifying my car is to always leave 'headroom' tolerance rather than push the performance envelope to the max. Max power is undoubtedly fun but it potentially sacrifices reliability and longevity and can get even more expensive. Driveability is what I have always saught and that includes good handling and strong braking. My Mk5 GTI is very tactile and fun. I now feel very confident about the next 100,000 miles!

Credit where credit is due:

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 05:48:17 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

PSW

Re: RedRobin's Mk5 GTI @ 100,000 miles….
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 06:17:52 pm »
Nice one for reaching such a milestone  nice to hear its still fresh and tight.  Or is that another post we should start

Offline Shabba168

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 06:23:19 pm »
I like every extra you have added to your car.

i remember carrying out the PDI over 100000 miles ago on it  :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 06:26:53 pm »
I reckon with the new APR pump and yuor stage 2 map that you'll be mid 270s now and also have a much stronger midrange.  Carls Octy was the same iirc when on stage 2 with the APR pump.  

Did you buy this from new? How many of those miles have been mapped.  I bet the std suspension is like new.

I do like the way you havent been swayed by chasing power though.  You probably have one of the best balanced cars on here for power/chassis setups
« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 06:33:23 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=12f86jmc8adjhs2p48engp0tl4&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 06:32:25 pm »
Congratulations on both accounts Robin. 

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 06:38:36 pm »

I like every extra you have added to your car.

i remember carrying out the PDI over 100000 miles ago on it  :happy2:

....HEY!! Dan!! I was talking about you this week at JKM - About if I needed Revo settings tweaked without going all the way to Portsmouth. It got me thinking I should swing by your workshop and say hi and catch up - It's been a while.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 06:48:37 pm »

I reckon with the new APR pump and yuor stage 2 map that you'll be mid 270s now and also have a much stronger midrange.  Carls Octy was the same iirc when on stage 2 with the APR pump. 

Did you buy this from new? How many of those miles have been mapped.  I bet the std suspension is like new.

I do like the way you havent been swayed by chasing power though.  You probably have one of the best balanced cars on here for power/chassis setups

....Yep, noticeably stronger from 70 up and one has to watch that GPS speedo!

Yes, I bought the car new and on order from Wolfsburg and Shabba168 PDI'd it.

About 60k miles mapped - Revo Stage 1 first and also Revo DSG map.

The standard suspension came off a very loooong time ago! KoniFSD+Eibach and then KW V3.

Hey, thanks for "one of the best balanced cars" compliment  :drinking:

Offline Shabba168

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 06:53:09 pm »
Yeah thats fine not a problem pop down. we have moved now tho we are on portland by the marina.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 06:56:42 pm »

nice to hear its still fresh and tight.  Or is that another post we should start

....No shortage of pics to start such a new thread!   :evilgrin:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 06:56:46 pm »
A great story :happy2:

I don't know what it is, but I find journeys like this particularly evocative. A friend has just taken his MK1 TT past 100,000 miles and it has been a great companion, and extremely reliable. The only thing that has been done, bar routine servicing, is the replacement of one coil pack, and it's looking like the front ARB might need doing soon.

My own car is coming up to 50k, which is a bit of a milestone for me. I don't think I've ever kept a car and done even half that before.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 07:00:22 pm »

Yeah thats fine not a problem pop down. we have moved now tho we are on portland by the marina.

....Still installing cameras in VeeDub Transporters for hot girlies from lesbos?

PM your mobile and I'll make sure you're there when I'm next down that way. A nice blast along the coast road  :party:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 07:05:42 pm »

A great story :happy2:

I don't know what it is, but I find journeys like this particularly evocative. A friend has just taken his MK1 TT past 100,000 miles and it has been a great companion, and extremely reliable. The only thing that has been done, bar routine servicing, is the replacement of one coil pack, and it's looking like the front ARB might need doing soon.

My own car is coming up to 50k, which is a bit of a milestone for me. I don't think I've ever kept a car and done even half that before.

....You're so right - It's such (true) stories which back up the whole reputation which genuine VW enthusiasts love so much  :happy2:

So 50k probably feels like you've turned another 10-year threshold in the time you've been walkabout on this planet.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 07:14:14 pm »
Yayyyyyyy!

Both are definite milestones Robin. When do you go in for a full service and tweaking then? :wink:

Seriously though I know you love the car and the camaraderie and it probably holds some magnificent memories for you too.

Robin without his Red GTI is like trying to imagine VW without a GTI.  :love:
Golf R gone.

Offline Shabba168

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 07:16:56 pm »
yeah still working on the Transporters doing some nice bits and bobs at the mo have a look www.vanworx.co.uk

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 07:22:58 pm »

yeah still working on the Transporters doing some nice bits and bobs at the mo have a look www.vanworx.co.uk

....Nice one! Look forward to seeing Max and Mr Hogan!

Has Dave still got my original GTI seats?