Make a donation

Author Topic: Cleaning cars.....  (Read 6039 times)

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
Cleaning cars.....
« on: April 15, 2012, 08:19:00 pm »
I went to VW action yesterday, now before i go to far i will point out im the keen of owner who will wash his car and be happy with the results of just a wash, but after seeing all the shiney cars yesterday i decided i would wash and then AG super resin my car (paint work was feeling a little rough) so i set at it, now i will post up the pics but its shown me how much tar and stone chips ive got on my bonnet, im gonna have to give her a full day of detailing  :confused:

so how should i attack her, advice please and inc products/and prices of stuff you recommend

here are my results from just a wash and AG super resin

2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline AjayB

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
  • Golf GT TDI
    • Email
Re: Cleaning cars.....
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:36:13 pm »
Nice car fella  :grin:

Build: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,40699.0.html

Golf MK5 GT TDI | 35mm H&R Springs | Silver Cabon Fibre Inlays | 20% Rear Tints | Backbox Delete- Dual Tips | GTI Rear Valance

To Do: RNS/RCD510 | FBSW | Black BBS CH 18"

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 08:42:51 pm »
I'm no detailer, but I find AG Super Resin Polish topped off with a coating of Colinite 476s wax does the job  :happy2:

The Colinite is so thick it locks in the polish and keeps the car looking great (and water beading) for at least 5 months  :notworthy:

I wash weekly with Meguiars Gold Glass car wash which works well with the Colinite

The SRP is great for polishing out scratches too. No need to buy any other products (except a tube of Autosol for the exhaust tips)

Graeme

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:46:13 pm by GrayMK5GTI »
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 08:48:03 pm »
Nice car fella  :grin:

Thank you mate :happy2: the first time its been polished in 2 years  :ashamed: may have to stay on top of it now
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 08:49:44 pm »
I'm no detailer, but I find AG Super Resin Polish topped off with a coating of Colinite 476s wax does the job  :happy2:

The Colinite is so thick it locks in the polish and keeps the car looking great (and water beading) for at least 5 months  :notworthy:

I wash weekly with Meguiars Gold Glass car wash which works well with the Colinite

The SRP is great for polishing out scratches too. No need to buy any other products (except a tube of Autosol for the exhaust tips)

Graeme

Hi Graeme, how easy is the Colinite 476s to apply? do you apply it the same way as SRP, let it dry then buff it off?

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 08:53:16 pm »
Heres a good guide to detaling http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4823.0.html

A Clay bar would be good to get rid of the contaminants on the paint like the tar. Its done in between washing and polishing

Offline jimk04

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 08:54:04 pm »
Hi chap - lovely car
I'm afraid the answers from the detailing crowd (me included) will become quite baffling - it will all depend on how much time and money you have.

A lot of folks use Auto Glym Super Resin Polish (AG SRP) and are happy with the results as it contains fillers that mask the shallower marks in your paint.

This is readily available from high street shops for about a tenner.

Auto Glym HD Wax is a good 'LSP' to appy after the SRP and is easy to apply and remove and gives good durability to your paint....£25 - £40 depending on seller.

You could also try a glaze such as poor boys black hole - or Wet Glaze 2.0

A can of worms is truly opened when you get into the world of car paint prep.....and it drains your wallet too!

Milltek tbe, Forge intercooler, AMD map, Eibach Sportlines, Porsche 996 over AMG 330mm homegrown BBK

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 08:56:47 pm »

Graeme

Hi Graeme, how easy is the Colinite 476s to apply? do you apply it the same way as SRP, let it dry then buff it off?

Exactly the same  :happy2:

Goes on easily and buffs off with no problems once dried.

See here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Collinite-476s-Wax-and-1-x-Soft-Applicator-Pad-Offer-/110797148849?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item19cc0652b1#ht_500wt_689

Don't let the 1950's tin put you off, this is very good stuff.

As Nathan said above, worth going over your car with a clay bar (Meguiars clay is great!) before you apply the SRP :happy2:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 08:59:11 pm by GrayMK5GTI »
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 08:59:11 pm »
Hi chap - lovely car
I'm afraid the answers from the detailing crowd (me included) will become quite baffling - it will all depend on how much time and money you have.

A lot of folks use Auto Glym Super Resin Polish (AG SRP) and are happy with the results as it contains fillers that mask the shallower marks in your paint.

Auto Glym HD Wax is a good 'LSP' to appy after the SRP and is easy to apply and remove and gives good durability to your paint....£25 - £40 depending on seller.

A can of worms is truly opened when you get into the world of car paint prep.....and it drains your wallet too!

Thank you mate  :happy2: hmm why does there have to be a choice of products to use  :surprised: ive used AG SRP loads of times and have always got on well with it, the HD WAX could be the way forward, i know what will happen i will buy some, try it then buy some more and try that, but never really decide what i like best, one things for sure i wanna get the tar spots off asap, because i now know they are there its doing my head in lol

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 09:02:13 pm »

Graeme

Exactly the same  :happy2:

Goes on easily and buffs off with no problems once dried.

See here: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Collinite-476s-Wax-and-1-x-Soft-Applicator-Pad-Offer-/110797148849?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Car_Care_Cleaning&hash=item19cc0652b1#ht_500wt_689

Don't let the 1950's tin put you off, this is very good stuff.

As Nathan said above, worth going over your car with a clay bar (Meguiars clay is great!) before you apply the SRP :happy2:

Ideal, thanks for the link, so how does clay work, is it just a case of having a golf ball size bit and pushing it on to the paint?

and surely it will get full of crap in no time?

i remember when a wash was good enough and if you owned a red car maybe a T cut lol

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 09:03:10 pm »
Heres a good guide to detaling http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4823.0.html

A Clay bar would be good to get rid of the contaminants on the paint like the tar. Its done in between washing and polishing

Will be reading thro the link, i get the feeling my wallet isnt gonna like this much lol

Thank you mate :happy2:

Offline toughster

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 09:08:57 pm »
My advice would be to not waste money on expensive products yet. Use  cheaper products until you get your technique perfected and have learned all the basics.

Try the polished bliss websitewww.polishedbliss.co.uk they give great guides on techniques and instructions on how to use all products they sell.

Offline jameelno1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 8
  • TDI Power
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 09:17:00 pm »
Hi chap - lovely car

Thank you mate  :happy2: hmm why does there have to be a choice of products to use  :surprised: ive used AG SRP loads of times and have always got on well with it, the HD WAX could be the way forward, i know what will happen i will buy some, try it then buy some more and try that, but never really decide what i like best, one things for sure i wanna get the tar spots off asap, because i now know they are there its doing my head in lol

to get tar off get AG intensive tar remover works a treat and it only cost around £5
golf mk5 1.9 tdi

Offline Mandy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 95
  • -Receive: 94
  • Drink Russian, Wear Italian, Drive German :)
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 09:28:07 pm »
I'd definitely recommend using a clay bar, makes a big difference. I personally prefer using the Bilt Hamber clay to the Maguiars clay, I found it easier to work with and you get more for your money. Also, it works fine with just water alone, no need to splash out on clay lube.
Driving: Tornado Red MK7 GTD, BMW 330e
Drove: Rising Blue Golf 6R, Reflex Silver Edition30 No.1684, Tornado Red Mk5 Golf GTI

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 09:34:13 pm »
I'd definitely recommend using a clay bar, makes a big difference. I personally prefer using the Bilt Hamber clay to the Maguiars clay, I found it easier to work with and you get more for your money. Also, it works fine with just water alone, no need to splash out on clay lube.

i had to read that twice, well the last line anyway lol

Right ive got a rough idea of what im gonna do, take it Ebay is as good a place as any to get products from?

Ive seen the Bilt hamber clay on ebay one company is selling that with some colinite for £23 is that good???