Make a donation

Author Topic: A question about led lights.  (Read 1452 times)

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
A question about led lights.
« on: April 15, 2012, 04:16:53 pm »
Not been able to do m uch today cos I.ve hurt my back,so what better excuse to laze around and watch the BTCC coverage on ITV4?
Just been watching the Carrera cup and I've been noticing that the rear lights seem to flash,but not in any descernable pattern-looks totally random.Just wondering if this is some sort of safety feature of led rear light,or isi it something to do with the strobing effect of the lights in  the camera the same way houndstooth patterns used to screw up TV cameras.

NB sorry if I'm not making sense...on some rather strong painkillers!  :rolleye:

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: A question about led lights.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 04:19:24 pm »
Dunno if it's racing related or not but I've noticed modern cars do this when the driver brakes hard.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Weston

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 04:33:50 pm »
My understanding is that LEDs do flash at a very high frequency so when viewed through a camera they have that pulsing effect you've described  :happy2:
GTI going...

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 06:11:22 pm »
I've noticed this a bit on the tv, normally on Top Gear when they do slow motion shots, also remember Clarksons Ford GT doing it aswell

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 07:44:04 pm »

:scared:  :scared:

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 07:53:12 pm »
^  :confused:

Even the reflection on the bonnet gives the strobe effect there. I thought as with flashing blue lights, flashing intermittent red lights were reserved for the emergency services and highway authorities?  :popcornsoda:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 07:58:05 pm »
there could be 2 reasons for this

the first is something to do with camera frame rate - the LEDs seem to play havoc with this and the LEDs appear like they're flashing. if you go on YouTube and look at spy shot videos of the RS3 you'll see countless examples of this

the second reason may be related to the fact they're brake lights. on modern cars the brake lights flash under hard braking (i.e. when ABS is triggered) as some studies showed it made people behind more aware of the brake lights and therefore they broke harder and avoided an accident. that said, i doubt race cars would have ABS. hmm...
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 08:04:30 pm »

Dunno if it's racing related or not but I've noticed modern cars do this when the driver brakes hard.

....I noticed this recently when a Mercedes braked hard in front of me on the M1. I had kept a decent braking distance anyway but it was a very good safety feature as traffic up ahead had come to a halt. It was good to have the extra alert. I assumed it was an OEM feature, especially as Mercedes pride themselves in such innovations.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline JJ

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 08:07:00 pm »
Modern cars that have the flashing brake lights when hard under braking, both the brake lights and the high level brake light flash.  In the clip above, the high level light does not appear to flash.
As has been said, this is something to do with the framing rate of the camera and the electrical supply to the LEDs not being pure causing them to appear to be pulsing.

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 08:25:08 pm »
when the mk6 astra came out 2yrs ago i pulled up behind one at lights and his brake lights were flashing alot of modern cars do this and its all to with safety
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 09:46:18 pm »

....I noticed this recently when a Mercedes braked hard in front of me on the M1. I had kept a decent braking distance anyway but it was a very good safety feature as traffic up ahead had come to a halt. It was good to have the extra alert. I assumed it was an OEM feature, especially as Mercedes pride themselves in such innovations.

yep i think the first production car that did it was the W221 Merc S-Class. at the very least that's the one that set the current trend for it
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 10:24:36 pm »
Anything on film is just the LEDs strobing, it's an oddity that they just leave be. You've gotta be very hard on the stoppers to make them flash to the eye.
Sideways yo!