Make a donation

Author Topic: Strange RNS-510 behaviour - losing satellites  (Read 5145 times)

Offline smokey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 5
    • Club night in Bristol - Drama
    • Email
Strange RNS-510 behaviour - losing satellites
« on: April 12, 2012, 12:24:13 pm »
Hiya Guys

I was wondering if anyone has been experiencing stange behaviour with there RNS-510's?

I installed mine a few months ago and everything has been working great. I then installed the Skoda Blue tooth and still all great.

Recently though i got the Rosenberg issue (whilst i needed the sat nav!!). I simply reset the RNS and it eventually found some satellites and away i went.

Since then though it seems to keep loosing the Satellites. If i go into the secret menu, it says the GPS ariel is connected and there are satallites visible, but not traking any. Even when its saything this i am close or seem to be where i am on the map.

Then some days (like today) i'm seeing 10 satillites and tracking 9 of them?!

I have the GPS antenna underneath the large air vent grill on the main dash, with the GPS logo facing up.

Just wondering if this is due to the solar flares or if my GPS antenna is not working properly. It was new with the unit i bought, cant remember the make it wasn't a Fakra one i know that for sure.

Will check tonight to see if it has moved from where i have placed it.

Hopwe you can help

2004 GT TDI 2.0 (140bhp) - Mods so far - GTI pedals, GTI Interior Metal Strips, GTI Metal Ashtray, Gear Knob with metal surround, TPMS (with switch), RNS-510, Skoda bluetooth kit, Armrest MDI, VCDS owner (Bristol)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Strange RNS-510 behaviour - losing satellites
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 01:41:33 pm »
Fakra, IIRC, is the type of connector, not the name of the GPS antenna, and is what you need to connect to the RNS510. A failing antenna could be a possibility.

FWIW, my satnav can sometimes lose the satellites after being parked up because it's not been used and the satellites have moved.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 07:56:04 pm »
well me be of help but today i had to replace the clutch and DMF on a touran with the RNS510 and i played with the satnav and it was working fine (on the Devon/cornwall border)
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline smokey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 09:07:04 am »
Yeah its weird. Last night on the way home it lost all satellites again and thought i was drivign through fields etc.
This morning tried again and no joy, then suddenly found and tracked 7 and is working fine?

I need to install my MDI this weekend so will have a look at the connections

Will get back to you....

Thanks

2004 GT TDI 2.0 (140bhp) - Mods so far - GTI pedals, GTI Interior Metal Strips, GTI Metal Ashtray, Gear Knob with metal surround, TPMS (with switch), RNS-510, Skoda bluetooth kit, Armrest MDI, VCDS owner (Bristol)

Offline smokey

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 06:42:08 pm »
Hiya Guys

Well had some success this weekend. The MDI is routed and fitted and working a treat. So i now have full functionality of my RNS-510  :happy2:

The Satellite issue seemed to me due to the antenna moving slightly by coming unstuck and then sitting on a slant.

I have a Laviline one if anyone has one are they any good?

I re stuck it and it found 6 satellites...great.

put everything back together and worked for a few days. Again today the same has happened. So i took the top vent of and had a look the antenna hasn't moved?!

But i noticed as soon as i took the top grill off it found the satellites. So it seems like the top grill on my dash is blocking the signal, because as soon as i place the top grill back on it looses the satellites again?!

My antenna is fitted here:

The plastic section in my hand has no effect when that's fitted only the top metal mesh grill

Any ideas guys?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 08:09:20 pm by smokey »

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 10:45:19 pm »
I stuck mine here:

You could try moving it and seeing if that works? Never had issues with the top mesh.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.