All Things Mk5 > Mk5 General Area

Motorised sound in engine bay

(1/3) > >>

stealthwolf:
Went to top up the screenwash today. Car was in garage (has been all day). Opened the car, keys in the ignition, move to step 2 (power on), autolights were switched on. Opened bonnet.

As I filled the screenwash reservoir with VW screenwash, I could hear some whining motorised noise every few seconds. Coming from left hand region of engine bay.

What was it?

bacillus:
If you left the ignition on without starting the car then I suspect it would be the throttle body motor recalibrating the throttle plate angle.

stealthwolf:
1. What the hell is that?
2. Why the hell does it do that?
3. What happens if it didn't?

Top Cat:

--- Quote from: stealthwolf on November 15, 2008, 10:53:37 pm ---1. What the hell is that?
2. Why the hell does it do that?
3. What happens if it didn't?

--- End quote ---

Have you been smoking a spliff tonight  :driver:

bacillus:
The throttle body is a butterfly valve which is inside the throttle body and regulates the airflow that required when depressing on the accelerator pedal. It needs to be aligned properly to have a direct response when pressing the accelerator.

It is usually located between the air filter box and the intake manifold and usually attached to, or near, the mass airflow sensor.

If you didn't hear what you observed then it's an indication that your throttle body motor has gone bad and will need replacing. An error code should be stored in the ecu if this happens.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version