Make a donation

Author Topic: 4wd conversion info  (Read 37369 times)

Offline Hedge

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
Re: 4wd conversion info
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2012, 11:01:47 pm »
No Robin. No 'sports diff' on the S3.

Offline mYGeL

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • my Build Thread check it out
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2012, 09:44:01 am »
haha thats my car :) the AWD works fine now anyway :)

little play in the snow  :smiley:

« Last Edit: April 20, 2012, 09:45:33 am by mYGeL »

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2012, 10:45:23 am »
Your car is Awesome Michel  :notworthy:

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2012, 12:46:36 pm »
Your car is Awesome Michel  :notworthy:

+1  :notworthy: :notworthy:

It must be a sign...

Leon, called Michel, Carbon bonnet & tailgate (that Ive wanted from day 1  :drool: :drool:)  Is this what I must do?  :grin: :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2012, 01:26:23 pm »

It must be a sign...

Leon, called Michel, Carbon bonnet & tailgate (that Ive wanted from day 1  :drool: :drool:)  Is this what I must do?  :grin: :laugh:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2012, 04:25:19 pm »
I had always been a big member of the FWD is more fun the Haldex AWD club.

Now ive driven plenty of K04 FWD cars that are very heavily modified with practically every chassis and engine mod and IMO it is no more fun than the Golf R that APR loaned me.  Both are excellent to drive, both corner like they are on rails but their is one massive difference.

Even a very heavily modified FWD struggles with traction despite good tyres, and a great chasis setup even with an LSD and semi slick tyres to try and tame the power.  The Golf R however has absolutely no traction issues at all despite being on average road tyres.  

All the Golf had was the Race Haldex kit in 'road' mode and the AST coilovers.  Everything else was stock.  The speed and grip you could get around an empty roundabout is immense, and thats not even the best bit.  Theres the exit speed because your on full power soooo much earlier.

I agree the FWD might seem more nimble and probably quicker in the dry, but at Stage 2+ levels of power its to much for the wheels unless you use really sticky tyres and are pretty gentle with the throttle and then of course if theres a hint of dampness or its cold....well IMO its no contest, a haldex powered car is faster in the twisties.  Power is no god if it just spins away.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2012, 05:56:20 pm »

I agree the FWD might seem more nimble and probably quicker in the dry, but at Stage 2+ levels of power its to much for the wheels unless you use really sticky tyres and are pretty gentle with the throttle and then of course if theres a hint of dampness or its cold....well IMO its no contest, a haldex powered car is faster in the twisties.  Power is no good if it just spins away.

....I very much agree with so much of what you are saying about power being no good without traction etc. BUT.... Recently I had a drive-to-the-max against a Golf R on about 8 miles of B-road twisties and he could not shake me off and believe me he was trying. I hasten to add that I maintained a constant good braking distance and wasn't tailgating him. As you know, my GTI's handling is very well sorted and includes a LSD. However, on another occasion on the same road, I simply couldn't stay near a AWD Nissan Pulsar GTiR < That was no contest in the Pulsar's favour.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2012, 06:00:35 pm »
You have a very good balance of power to chassis mods so its the perfect setup as you havent got 360 horses trying to spin the tyres up.  That said with your power mods id expect you to have the legs on a Golf R in a straight line anyway.  Add the brakes and chassis mods and the weight difference im not surprised you kept up.

He probably wasnt to chuffed though  :grin:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2012, 06:11:04 pm »

You have a very good balance of power to chassis mods so its the perfect setup as you havent got 360 horses trying to spin the tyres up.  That said with your power mods id expect you to have the legs on a Golf R in a straight line anyway.  Add the brakes and chassis mods and the weight difference im not surprised you kept up.

....Yes, he didn't give a friendly wave (as I would have done) when he turned off. I've come across him before on straight dual carriageway but I laid off before going into licence losing territory. He started it though. His Golf R is probably standard and I usually have about 270 horses but only 245 at that time.

But as I say, the AWD Pulsar was simply stunning! I don't know what '4WD' transmission system they use.

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2012, 06:23:08 pm »

....Yes, he didn't give a friendly wave (as I would have done) when he turned off. I've come across him before on straight dual carriageway but I laid off before going into licence losing territory. He started it though. His Golf R is probably standard and I usually have about 270 horses but only 245 at that time.

But as I say, the AWD Pulsar was simply stunning! I don't know what '4WD' transmission system they use.

Those Pulsar's are rapid when they're standard, I think a 0-60 time of 5 secs, but they are are very rarely standard, so I imagine you came across a modded one which would have been like $hit off a shovel!!!!
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2012, 06:26:44 pm »
was it one of these Robin

If so like jussa said  that like playing russian roulette as there are some massively powerful ones knocking around and they weigh about the same as you front tyres  :scared:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2012, 06:45:21 pm »
^^^^
Yes it was just like that, Sy, and it was black. With that big rear spoiler I thought at first it was just a chavmobile but I soon witnessed its alarming acceleration! Done, I'm sure, for my benefit. I didn't bother to even try to give chase!

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2012, 06:50:25 pm »
^^^^
Yes it was just like that, Sy, and it was black. With that big rear spoiler I thought at first it was just a chavmobile but I soon witnessed its alarming acceleration! Done, I'm sure, for my benefit. I didn't bother to even try to give chase!

:signLOL: they are immense!!
As Sy says though, they don't weigh anything!!
I reckon when that's heavily modded there isn't much that can keep up with them.
Saying that though, finding them nowadays is like finding rocking horse $hit!!
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2012, 06:53:09 pm »
^^^^

:signLOL: they are immense!!
As Sy says though, they don't weigh anything!!
I reckon when that's heavily modded there isn't much that can keep up with them.
Saying that though, finding them nowadays is like finding rocking horse $hit!!

Not so much finding them.  Finding one thats been looked after and not ragged to death

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2012, 06:57:00 pm »
True!
I think I've actually only ever seen one on the road, and it was parked.
Picking up a good example must be difficult.