Make a donation

Author Topic: Can a sky box be made wireless for broadband?  (Read 4429 times)

Offline VC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 93
    • Very Cherry Stickers and Decals
Can a sky box be made wireless for broadband?
« on: April 18, 2012, 08:25:11 pm »
Ok, got infinity hub under the stairs at home and the sky box is in the lounge. The phone line doesn't reach to the sky box so we've never bothered plugging it in a we don't fancy phone extension cables flapping around the floor or chased around the walls.

But, just seen an advert on the tv which says I can now have access to the full anytime package via the infinity hub, is there some sort of wireless witchcraft I can plug into the back of the sky box to receive a signal from the router?

Offline MarkMarked

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Can a sky box be made wireless for broadband?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 08:28:37 pm »
How about the official Sky Wireless Connector?

Or any Ethernet over Mains solutions out there

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 08:30:03 pm »
There's an official connector?

Saintsteve

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 08:41:55 pm »

Yes there is bud.... Around £60 but if you already subscribe to sky movies, you may find its free of charge, but as you don't have sky's broadband, then you may not get that offer.

sky are about about to launch there fibre optic broadband service any day now  :wink: 40 meg speeds only.

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 08:51:55 pm »

Yes there is bud.... Around £60 but if you already subscribe to sky movies, you may find its free of charge, but as you don't have sky's broadband, then you may not get that offer.

sky are about about to launch there fibre optic broadband service any day now  :wink: 40 meg speeds only.

I have all the channels, movies, sports etc etc nothing i'm missing i dont think

im now contracted in with BT but i dont think i want to change anyway if im honest, how do i find out or who do i ask about the sky adaptor thing?

or.....what about something like this:

[ebay]200681173996[/ebay]

Saintsteve

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 08:54:15 pm »

I have all the channels, movies, sports etc etc nothing i'm missing i dont think

im now contracted in with BT but i dont think i want to change anyway if im honest, how do i find out or who do i ask about the sky adaptor thing?

Just call 08442 414141, and ask for a Wireless Ethernet Anytime + sender, and see if its a free bee.  :wink:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 08:57:04 pm »

Any info on Areas etc Steve as where i'm moving to Sky is about the best option. If they offer 40MB fibre i might not have to suffer too much dropping from 120MB  :laugh:

Offline TagnuT

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 08:58:48 pm »

Just call 08442 414141, and ask for a Wireless Ethernet Anytime + sender, and see if its a free bee.  :wink:

If not seen a few people using these on different sky forums:-

http://www.ebuyer.com/257251-edimax-5-port-wireless-n150-extender-access-point-ew-7228apn
Bye Bye Edition 30.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 09:04:02 pm »

Any info on Areas etc Steve as where i'm moving to Sky is about the best option. If they offer 40MB fibre i might not have to suffer too much dropping from 120MB  :laugh:

It will probably only be if BT offer Infinity Carl. ;-)

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 09:06:59 pm »

sky are about about to launch there fibre optic broadband service any day now  :wink: 40 meg speeds only.

Just call 08442 414141, and ask for a Wireless Ethernet Anytime + sender, and see if its a free bee.  :wink:

Cheers dude  :happy2:

Just called the number and had a chat and they said that the only way a bt hub will work with the sky box is by hard wiring an Ethernet cable, apparently for wireless to work I need the sky broadband because as they've only just made the option available for use with other providers wireless is restricted...

According to the ebay item I linked that would seem to contradict?

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 09:07:47 pm »

Just found that  :sad1:

Cnuts - the exchange is enabled but they have no plans according to both websites for either infinity or vermin :fighting:

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 09:09:42 pm »

Yeah concur with Hedge, it will be the Openreach fibre network, which they are still rolling out across the country.  More providers will be offering packages through the Openreach infrastructure very soon.  :happy2:
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 09:09:47 pm »
date=1334777403]

If not seen a few people using these on different sky forums:-

http://www.ebuyer.com/257251-edimax-5-port-wireless-n150-extender-access-point-ew-7228apn

So that's a receiver that I would then plug an Ethernet cable into and then into the sky box?

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 09:24:18 pm »
Would home plug AV not be a good solution??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004INVKP4
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline VC

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 09:26:10 pm »
Would home plug AV not be a good solution??

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004INVKP4

ive just had a look at that....wtf is it?  :grin:

more witch craft

what does it do? and type slowly so i understand....