Make a donation

Poll

Do you have signs of corrosion on your front arches? If so what model year is your car?

'54' plate
7 (12.7%)
'05/55' plate
30 (54.5%)
'06/56' plate
10 (18.2%)
'07/57' plate
8 (14.5%)
'08/58' plate
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 54

Author Topic: VW front wheel arch corrosion - modified production method  (Read 9764 times)

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
Re: VW front wheel arch corrosion - modified production method
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 11:27:51 am »

Are you also interested in those of us that DID have the rust and have had it sorted?

Also, it would be interesting if you had a yes/ or no question first to see the percentage of each plate that had it.

Great thread, this will be really useful info.  :happy2:

Agree for the yes/no option. Have a look at the dsg mechatronics poll to see what it looks like.

+1
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 11:44:58 am »
My MK4 anni had the wings done due to corrosion and they explained that it was the sponge in the wing that retains water and causes the rust to start. This is similar to the mk5, the sponge is there i believe to stop the arch liner vibrating.

When looking for my ed30, i saw many 07,57, even an 08 plate with arch and sill rot, some very badly repaired. The 08 plate one had large sections of paint flaking off and only 28k on the clock, according to the main dealer, JCT600 it was to be expected due to the age!
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline AlanEdition30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 11:51:12 am »
My May 07 plate hasn't started rusting yet. Though its always kept in a garage with a dehumidifier running once a month till it fills its tank. Im hoping that the dehumidifier has been getting the water out of the foam/sponge under the plastic  :laugh:

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2012, 08:14:47 pm »
Mine has the rust starting , both front wheelarches. The boothandle area is clear just now , as are both sills. TBH its not so bad at the moment , you can hardly see it so I'm going to wait till its noticeable so I get new wings , I dont really want the original ones repaired. My car was registered in July 05 so was most likely a pre July Hols 2005 build.
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Carla77

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2012, 10:01:39 pm »
My 54 plate has rust on both front wings, drivers side sill, the tailgate (near the boot badge) and a random patch of rust in the middle of the passenger door. VW have agreed to repair one of the wings and the sill with me footing 30% of the cost of the repair.  They won't consider the other patches of rust as they "can't see them on the photos" that were submitted by the dealership.

I'm having daily arguments with VWUK and slowly working my way up the chain of management until I get a satisfactory response - Fingers crossed.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2012, 10:11:42 pm »

They won't consider the other patches of rust as they "can't see them on the photos" that were submitted by the dealership.

I'm having daily arguments with VWUK and slowly working my way up the chain of management until I get a satisfactory response - Fingers crossed.

....Then perhaps you should send them your own photos and complain that the VW dealer's are inadequate.

Option 2 is to wait for the rust areas to become much more obvious and then take more pics.

They couldn't really argue with mine!:

But perhaps I scared them into submission!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2012, 07:33:28 am »
Mine are getting both panels below the front fenders done tuesday, 100% covered by VWDK, i still need them toacknowledge some rust on by boot, it's been there minimum 3 years and has not expanded so the paintsurface can't be damaged.

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 10:37:52 am »
Hmm my front wings seem ok, well i havent noticed yet, will have to take a look, my rear arch lip has spots on it, the local body shop whos paint is spot on (but cant bond a GTI spoiler in the right place  :chicken:) want £300 to do both (mates rates) im gonna have them done in about 6 weeks when the weather is better

mines a may 2004 reg
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline Carla77

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2012, 10:49:46 pm »

They won't consider the other patches of rust as they "can't see them on the photos" that were submitted by the dealership.

....Then perhaps you should send them your own photos and complain that the VW dealer's are inadequate.

Option 2 is to wait for the rust areas to become much more obvious and then take more pics.

They couldn't really argue with mine!:

But perhaps I scared them into submission!

Think I'll get you to take my photos and scare them into submission!! To be fair to the dealership, they've taken photos with pennies taped to the bodywork to try to show how the paint is bubbling and lifting underneath but VWUK still won't have it. Gotta feel sorry for the dealerships, surely VW trust them to be a franchise and sell their cars, why don't they trust their word that there is rust?

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2012, 09:31:33 pm »
gave the car a good clean yesterday and noticed a 2 rust spots on the inside of the arches  :fighting: booked in now with vw to have a look  :fighting:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2012, 10:25:38 am »
Just been to Vw for them to look at the rust on the inside of the wing good thing is I know the guy who runs the Vw body shop and he said don't worry we will get it sorted might just try for 2 new wings for the car,just need to wait on Vw now to approve it

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

davey g

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 10:15:34 am »
has anyone got a working link for the original post

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 12:46:48 pm »
Drop me a pm with your email  :happy2:
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline doylebros

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 309
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 08:14:08 pm »
Drop me a pm with your email  :happy2:

Hope you don't mind - pm sent -  :happy2:

Offline torque777

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 12
Re: Re: VW front wheel arch corrosion - modified production method
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 08:28:23 pm »
My golf is 57plate on a 08 chassis and our jetta is 56 plate on a 07 chassis and neither have no evidence of rust in arches ..is this because the foam block was modified ? Cant read link

sent using my own fingers