Make a donation

Author Topic: And you complained about petrol prices!  (Read 2767 times)

Offline mvb12

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: And you complained about petrol prices!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 09:39:39 am »
Yea but EVERYTHING is expensive in Norway. McDonald's workers are on like £30/hour because of the cost of living there!
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 10:06:49 am »
I work in Norway and the cost of fuel is relative to the earnings. Commodity items are extortionate but in my experience, the cost of living is probably the same as London.

Nobody grumbles about it because in Norway if you live outwith the major towns then you need a car - basically the minimum wage is just over double what we have in the UK (not £30p/h in McD's!!).

They also control their own oil and gas, and keep the savings for the people. It is reinvested back into the economy and education. They have a standard of living that is second to none in Europe.

Unlike Thatcher who sold off North Sea wells meaning we are screwed by multinationals and only get a small percentage of what we should be earning.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline AndyS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2012, 10:18:08 am »
I work in Norway and the cost of fuel is relative to the earnings. Commodity items are extortionate but in my experience, the cost of living is probably the same as London.

Nobody grumbles about it because in Norway if you live outwith the major towns then you need a car - basically the minimum wage is just over double what we have in the UK (not £30p/h in McD's!!).

They also control their own oil and gas, and keep the savings for the people. It is reinvested back into the economy and education. They have a standard of living that is second to none in Europe.

Unlike Thatcher who sold off North Sea wells meaning we are screwed by multinationals and only get a small percentage of what we should be earning.

That lady has a lot to answer for........

Offline GTIjames

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2012, 10:42:00 am »
....hmmm

compared to the previous government who sold all our gold reserves at an all time low in the market price, raided the private pension funds for trillions, created a bloated public sector we simply cannot afford, allowed uncontrolled immigration, made unemployment and baby making a career for the feckless and left us with the largest budget deficit this country has seen since the 1940s

....even if we did discover another oil field off the coast of Britain tomorrow it would do little to tackle the mess this country has been left in after Bliar and Brown.

GTI Edition 30 - Reflex Silver now gone but not forgotten - Cooper S JCW now.

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2012, 10:56:21 am »
I never made that comment to turn this thread into a political discussion, and still don't wish it to become so. Scottish and Norwegian oil was discovered at the same time - I was just trying to highlight how all these years later, how differently it has panned out.

The fact is Norway kept it's oil/gas. When you get laid off there from your job, you get 62% off your average pay over the past 5 years until you get a new role. If you have to retrain they give you, no question, ~£20,000 to take as many courses as you like.

All of this is a result of keeping a hold of their resources, as beforehand it was a fairly poor country.

They are finding smaller oil fields all the time in the whole of the North Sea/Norwegian/Barents - in fact I was just on a brand new platform that was drilling a well found in a 40 year old field.
Problem is when a well is found on the UK side, it wil be an American/Canadian/French/Chinese firm that reaps the rewards - we get some income tax and employment from it, so it is correct in saying it won't fix our economy (as it was sold abroad by you know who  :P )
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2012, 11:02:53 am »
Crazy!!! and it's always gomna get worse too.  :sad1:

On the other end of the scale Venezuela has petrol at 2p per litre  :scared:

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/The-cheapest-petrol-world-yahoofinanceuk-978605645.html

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2012, 11:16:09 am »
Does seem a lot.
 Bought my ED30 a couple of months ago with no thought of consumption or price. Nearly bought an R32 but this one came up first (might have moaned then). Could have got a Nissan Leaf but would I have been as happy? NO!!!!
V-Power will no doubt be £2.00 a litre here before too long so unless your a sandle wearing, bearded, out of work, tree hugging, vegan, save the Earth Hippy who rides a bicycle we are all going to have to dig a little deeper into our hard earned.
 :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline pipston

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2012, 12:36:16 pm »

That lady has a lot to answer for........

depends what side of the fence you're on, for every reason half the country has to hate her (tories) the other half has just as strong a case against 'the other lot'....

Offline pipston

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 12:39:35 pm »
what i find is so annoying is that the HGV drivers 'attempt' to go on strike because of the price at the pump, panic buying then en-sues and the price goes up due to supply/demand, THEN when all the madness has calmed down the price never dropped back down to where it was before...which means all the fake strike did was ensure prices were pushed up even further/quicker! shell, BP must be rubbing their hands with all this talk of another strike!

at this present time im glad i dont own a car, its saving me a fortune....

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 01:25:22 pm »
which means all the fake strike did was ensure prices were pushed up even further/quicker!
+1. This is something I've noticed. V-power has gone up price considerably compared to previously.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 04:02:57 pm »
....hmmm

compared to the previous government who sold all our gold reserves at an all time low in the market price, raided the private pension funds for trillions, created a bloated public sector we simply cannot afford, allowed uncontrolled immigration, made unemployment and baby making a career for the feckless and left us with the largest budget deficit this country has seen since the 1940s

....even if we did discover another oil field off the coast of Britain tomorrow it would do little to tackle the mess this country has been left in after Bliar and Brown.

I lobby for the "thank you" button to be introduced into Random Chat, as this quote alone most definitely deserves one
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline pipston

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 08:57:54 pm »
....hmmm

I lobby for the "thank you" button to be introduced into Random Chat, as this quote alone most definitely deserves one

X2

Offline 182_blue

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 54
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2012, 08:31:28 am »
what i find is so annoying is that the HGV drivers 'attempt' to go on strike because of the price at the pump, panic buying then en-sues and the price goes up due to supply/demand, THEN when all the madness has calmed down the price never dropped back down to where it was before...which means all the fake strike did was ensure prices were pushed up even further/quicker! shell, BP must be rubbing their hands with all this talk of another strike!

at this present time im glad i dont own a car, its saving me a fortune....

As far as i am aware the Tanker drivers threatened to strike due to their contract conditions and pay, it had nothing to do with fuel costs.

Offline Jussa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 12
  • Bicester
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2012, 01:18:46 pm »
2010 3dr phantom black S-Tronic S3 - BCS TBE with 3½" DP - LOBA LO4xx turbo - LOBA HPFP - Revo CAI - H&R 25mm lowering springs - Forge 11mm spacers - RS4 fuel Pressure valve - THS intercooler - H&R front and rear ARB's - AEM water methanol injection