Make a donation

Author Topic: Sky Planner Series link is sh*t!  (Read 5608 times)

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: Sky Planner Series link is sh*t!
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2012, 12:39:56 pm »
I don't expect to get an upgrade for free. But as an existing customer i would expect to have some discount for loyalty. If i was to cancel i would be able to take out my existing package, pay £149 for the 1TB box AND get £25 worth of M&S Vouchers as a new customer.

It seems "your successful business" is more interested in getting new customers than rewarding existing customers for loyalty.

I also find it hard to believe it costs sky £187 per box. It doesn't cost that to make an iPhone which is far more complex. If it does cost Sky that they need to have a word with there suppliers. It's not as if the 1TB drives in them are SSD or anything fancy.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2012, 12:50:35 pm »
We don't Rent boxes like Virgin do.

Really?  :rolleye:

Saintsteve

« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2012, 02:57:52 pm »
I don't expect to get an upgrade for free. But as an existing customer i would expect to have some discount for loyalty. If i was to cancel i would be able to take out my existing package, pay £149 for the 1TB box AND get £25 worth of M&S Vouchers as a new customer.

It seems "your successful business" is more interested in getting new customers than rewarding existing customers for loyalty.

I also find it hard to believe it costs sky £187 per box. It doesn't cost that to make an iPhone which is far more complex. If it does cost Sky that they need to have a word with there suppliers. It's not as if the 1TB drives in them are SSD or anything fancy.

how big is an iPhone compared with a Sky HD box  :signLOL:

Most of the parts required to build these boxes are shipped from china, Bulgaria, and Mexico of all places, so costs soon mount up. Unfortunately, cost of this technology has to be Subsidised in some way, so if to join sky, you had to pay cost price to join, then our 10.5 million customers wouldn't be here.

just a suggestion Carl, as your very good with words, can I suggest you call cxlations department, say you wish to cxl your subs, and see if they try and jump through hoops to keep you. if they don't, go on to virgin as they are so much better as everyone keeps saying.

We don't Rent boxes like Virgin do.

Really?  :rolleye:

:signLOL: some jobs are made for people  :signLOL:  :notworthy:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 03:03:49 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2012, 03:19:27 pm »

how big is an iPhone compared with a Sky HD box  :signLOL:

Most of the parts required to build these boxes are shipped from china, Bulgaria, and Mexico of all places, so costs soon mount up. Unfortunately, cost of this technology has to be Subsidised in some way, so if to join sky, you had to pay cost price to join, then our 10.5 million customers wouldn't be here.

just a suggestion Carl, as your very good with words, can I suggest you call cxlations department, say you wish to cxl your subs, and see if they try and jump through hoops to keep you. if they don't, go on to virgin as they are so much better as everyone keeps saying.

That's my point about the iPhone. It is far more technically advanced and has to be made smaller than any component in a Sky Box. You surely realise that to make something as powerful as an iPhone that small, it costs more. So i fail to see how Sky are paying £187 per box. To be honest whoever has told you that i think is either telling you porkies or Sky suffer the same problem the MOD do in their procurement. i.e Muppets run it.

I have spoken to Cancellations and they aren't interested. Which leads me to believe they would rather have a new customer sign up than keep and existing customer.

Steve i have no idea why you appear to be taking this so personally :confused: It's not as if you own Sky and it's going to affect your pay/life if i'm not happy or think something is better.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2012, 03:25:16 pm »
Also the 1TB boxes are made by Amstrad aren't they?

Saintsteve

« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2012, 03:34:13 pm »

All amstrad boxes are now Sky's own brand called Picotronic.

trust me Carl, I'm not taking this personally, but I spose because I've been apart of sky's upward success in the past 14 years I've worked for them, when someone comes on a public forum and starts calling us a bunch of c&nts, does gets the heckles up, but you don't know the full story as I know a lot that goes on within Supply chain, but seriously, if sky aren't interested as you say they are not, then it sounds your better off leaving.
Skys current drive is to reduce churn rates, so for them to say they are not interested in the slightest, is very surprising. Each customer when they join sky gets a FREE box, whether they joined 12 years ago or just know, you get whatever is current at the time if you join, if you want an upgrade will always come at a small cost.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2012, 03:45:43 pm »

trust me Carl, I'm not taking this personally, but I spose because I've been apart of sky's upward success in the past 14 years I've worked for them, when someone comes on a public forum and starts calling us a bunch of c&nts, does gets the heckles up, but you don't know the full story as I know a lot that goes on within Supply chain, but seriously, if sky aren't interested as you say they are not, then it sounds your better off leaving.
Skys current drive is to reduce churn rates, so for them to say they are not interested in the slightest, is very surprising. Each customer when they join sky gets a FREE box, whether they joined 12 years ago or just know, you get whatever is current at the time if you join, if you want an upgrade will always come at a small cost.

I called Murdoch a Cnut not Sky engineers :P

I said I'm happy to pay an upgrade. But I would have expected to pay less than a new customer who pays £149 for the box and gets £25 of M&S vouchers.

I get told I can have a box for £149 pay £60 for an engineer to fit it or pay £15 for sky to allow me to fit it myself. As said its a case of swapping 4 cables from the existing box to the new box. I'm not refitting a whole system.

Saintsteve

« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2012, 03:51:32 pm »

I called Murdoch a Cnut not Sky engineers :P

I said I'm happy to pay an upgrade. But I would have expected to pay less than a new customer who pays £149 for the box and gets £25 of M&S vouchers.

I get told I can have a box for £149 pay £60 for an engineer to fit it or pay £15 for sky to allow me to fit it myself. As said its a case of swapping 4 cables from the existing box to the new box. I'm not refitting a whole system.

For the £60 install, you should have new ct63 cables installed and brand new dish. remove your old stuff and don't let the engineer use your old gear, as I expect your dish s older then 2 years. dish condition and cables are cruicial to a reliable setup.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2012, 03:59:49 pm »
I think I'll wait till I move and tackle it again.

Offline MarkMarked

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2012, 07:52:47 pm »

I think i will be switching to Vermin Media when i move (if there is Fibre Optic) as i can get everything i get now (120mb BB, Unlimited anytime calls,) plus a 1TB TIVO Box, all the same channels with all the Sky Sports channels extra for £2 less a month :confused: The only channel i will miss out on is Sky Atlantic.

Don't forget that with Virgin you won't get all the sports channels in HD either including F1 as Sky won't let them have it  :fighting:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2012, 08:21:09 pm »

I think i will be switching to Vermin Media when i move (if there is Fibre Optic) as i can get everything i get now (120mb BB, Unlimited anytime calls,) plus a 1TB TIVO Box, all the same channels with all the Sky Sports channels extra for £2 less a month :confused: The only channel i will miss out on is Sky Atlantic.

Don't forget that with Virgin you won't get all the sports channels in HD either including F1 as Sky won't let them have it  :fighting:

Not according to this just seems to be F1 not in HD  :confused:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2012, 08:47:02 pm »
Looks fine on my telly in SD and when it's live on BBC I can see HD then should I so require.  :happy2:

Saintsteve

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2012, 08:58:26 pm »
Only 36 hd channels? That's 22 less then sky...  Oh from 45 a month... Basic pack... So after 6 months, you then start paying the same rate for less choice then Sky?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2012, 09:06:15 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2012, 09:53:13 pm »
Some of those HD channels on sky are things like Sky Arts HD  :indifferent: Not exactly going to miss those  :laugh:

As said I will pay £2 less per month and have

Same channels I currently have less Sky Atlantic and Sky F1HD in fact I'll have more as I currently don't have Sky Sports.
Faster BB
1TB Box
Record 3 Progs or various combo's of watching and recording
Unlimited Anytime calls to landlines

Not trying to cause a pissing contest Steve. I understand your loyalty to Murdoch. But at the end of the day it's a job. Whenever you leave Sky they ain't gonna care about you anymore and you will be replaced by another engineer. Your going on as if I'm slagging off your company.

Both Vermin and Sky have plus and negative points.

Saintsteve

« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2012, 07:16:28 am »
Some of those HD channels on sky are things like Sky Arts HD  :indifferent: Not exactly going to miss those  :laugh:

As said I will pay £2 less per month and have

Same channels I currently have less Sky Atlantic and Sky F1HD in fact I'll have more as I currently don't have Sky Sports.
Faster BB
1TB Box
Record 3 Progs or various combo's of watching and recording
Unlimited Anytime calls to landlines

Not trying to cause a pissing contest Steve. I understand your loyalty to Murdoch. But at the end of the day it's a job. Whenever you leave Sky they ain't gonna care about you anymore and you will be replaced by another engineer. Your going on as if I'm slagging off your company.

Both Vermin and gSky have plus and negative points.

sorry Carl, it's only because I do this for a living, and my work mind comes into play  :grin:

I'm not Going on, just think for £2 less, you not getting as good VFM. but ETTO, but yes if it was my company, you'd been gone long ago :signLOL:

Oh and hope you don't get this soon after install....  :innocent:
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,46586.msg537304.html#msg537304

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:29:50 am by Saintsteve »