Make a donation

Author Topic: Vwr cold air intake  (Read 42337 times)

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
Re: Vwr cold air intake
« Reply #90 on: May 03, 2012, 04:34:57 pm »
Hence my choice of APR over Autotech HPFP, just for example.

Can't argue with that - that one lesson that I learned the hard way when my Autotech HPFP went 'pop'  :ashamed:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: May 04, 2012, 01:20:43 am »

I dont think R & D is anything to do with it, the price does not decrease as the R & D is paid for does it?  :P (Like TV's and new electrical goods), I agree getting the MAF scaling is to do with R & D the rest is to do with marketing and what they can charge and get away with, it's more likely like the Re-maps, it's proven that people will pay for it especially if it has a brand name attached to it that people know/like  :grin:, this is more marketing than R & D.

If a product from company A is proved shown to give 15bhp and the product from B is proved shown to give 17-19 bhp they can price it how they like  :signLOL: as the willy wavers will be all over it  :popcornsoda:

Personally I agree that most of them are over-priced for what they are, it is part of the reason I did not buy one of the mainstream high priced products available.

APR's latest claim of 30bhp on the Golf R seems a little high to me, Its easy to push the engine to the limit on std airbox and then slap on "their" new amazing product
and lo and behold its gives massive figures........... :surprised:

....Oh good! That's better - Something I don't agree with you on again at last  :happy2:

We can debate this until the cows come home but I do think that rather than dismiss products just because they are offered by a mainstream established company (as you seem to be doing) is unjustifiable and narrows down your options.

Personally, choosing products from a known brand gives me a lot of confidence based on what that brand represents. Hence my choice of APR over Autotech HPFP, just for example.

I Knew that post wouuld get us back on track Robin  :signLOL: It is not 100% to do with them being "Mainstream" or "established" its more the overall feeling you get, your just a profit margin (A good one!), dont appear to be valued and everyone else and his dog has one and a few of them look cheapo but cost big money (for what they are anyway), I also like to support new companies who bring something new to the table, something that perhaps everyone can afford justify spending on their car, I also like to try out new products that not everyone has, it may be that there is a product that is not heavily advertised or pushed by tuners that does the same thing.

Your right we can argue this one and I am sure come October at JKM we probably will discuss it  :grin: bottom line is you like big names/reliable and pricey products, I prefer supporting smaller companies, trying new products and being a bit different and saving money to spend on other things.

I would agree tho I would change the whole pump rather than do internals after reading some of the forums, but then I could not bear paying money to a large company like APR so would have to wait for a used one to come up for sale  :signLOL:

« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 01:23:32 am by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Dp_Ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #92 on: May 04, 2012, 01:42:42 am »
Agreed with the above and brand snobbery hurts the consummer however a post with arin@apr made me think
He said ' the bittness of poor service is remembered long after the sweetness of low prices has been forgotten'

I spent £10k tuning my last car only to be told ' not our problem ' when things went wrong. I know look at the whole company when deciding who to mod my car. I chose apr as I felt the customer service was excellent, there staff actively get involved in the forum and not just to advertise stuff and also for the fact they make the hardware and the software, this takes the whole finger pointing out of the picture.

I've seem it many times with hardware suppliers Pointing at the mapper and the mapper blaming the hardware.

Yes some products may be over price but IMO your can't put a price on piece of mind
« Last Edit: May 04, 2012, 01:47:28 am by Dp_Ed30 »

Offline Felix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
« Reply #93 on: May 09, 2012, 08:54:30 am »
Mat Ed30 - I guess you havn't heard from vwr  :sad1: I know they are slow to respond to email but did they say when they would get some more in? cheers.
300hp Mk5 Golf GTi Edition 30

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 81
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2012, 09:01:52 am »
Next few weeks

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Felix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2012, 09:21:01 am »
Ok mate  :happy2:

Offline Dp_Ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2012, 11:30:50 am »
So who is up for a group buy some we can send the numbers to Keith?

Offline Felix

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2012, 11:46:12 am »
Me depending on price  :smiley:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2012, 11:49:07 am »

As I said in the PM get the prices from Keith first for the break points (i.e. 10, 15, 20 etc) then you can post a formal group buy.

Offline Dp_Ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2012, 11:50:44 am »

As I said in the PM get the prices from Keith first for the break points (i.e. 10, 15, 20 etc) then you can post a formal group buy.

Pm has been sent, just waiting for a reply  :happy2:

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2012, 01:12:36 pm »

Any updates on this mate..

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline Dp_Ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2012, 01:31:38 pm »

Any updates on this mate..

Not yet mate, kei hasn't been online for a while but I know the guys are flat out ATM, il send him a direct email now :happy2:

Offline dan930

• Thank You
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2012, 12:59:40 pm »
Caller Vwr hq this morning asking about when it's back in stock,been told there will be a big batch coming but he can't give me a date as he is not sure

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
R TECH custom map

Offline Dp_Ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2012, 01:26:34 pm »
Caller Vwr hq this morning asking about when it's back in stock,been told there will be a big batch coming but he can't give me a date as he is not sure

Fancy giving Keith a call about a group buy? Will take us a while to get the numbers anyway so not to fussed about a wait :happy2:

Offline dan930

• Thank You
« Reply #104 on: May 16, 2012, 02:40:19 pm »
What's happening??any updates or info on the groupbuy or when it's bk in stock??

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
R TECH custom map