Make a donation

Author Topic: Vwr cold air intake  (Read 42400 times)

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
Re: Vwr cold air intake
« Reply #75 on: May 02, 2012, 03:13:26 pm »
Is it just my imagination or is the filter canister bigger on the VWR vs ITG?

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=24610

versus

Offline dan930

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2012, 12:53:25 pm »
So what is the current retail price for the VWR induction kit for a Mk5?

I see Awesome are still advertising a Mk6 kit under the ITG brand for £270 which doesn't seem too bad (although I am comparing to say a Mk5 Twintake at £400 which may not be a fair comparison)

Edit:  Just found tat the RRP's £456 inc.vat from VWR's site - that's a shocker! :scared:

Would this fit our mk5s??

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2012, 02:26:29 pm »
No I don't think so Dan.

I'm not seeing an ITG in this style for the Mk5 - only the tried and trusted open filter ITG Maxogen for the Mk5 with the one I posted earlier from the Awesome website being Mk6. Perhaps someone will correct me on that one.

I've got a TSI on order so took the liberty of ordering the ITG version this morning. VWR can ****ing whistle if the pricing for a Mk6 compatible intake is anything like that above and I will be interested if anyone can show real-worl gains on similar dyno set-ups between ITG's closed filter and that for the single-canister Wintake and VWR.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2012, 03:02:16 pm »

I will be interested if anyone can show real-worl gains on similar dyno set-ups between ITG's closed filter and that for the single-canister Wintake and VWR.

....I think that will be what they call 'the acid test' or 'proof of the pudding' etc. Prospective buyers of air intakes invariably place power gains high on their list of considerations and want gains which will justify the price. Back-to-back runs on the same car on the same dyno (as I did with my TWINtake at JKM) is perhaps one of the few ways to make meaningful direct comparisons.

IIRC, the Forge TWINtake and ITG Maxogen are similarly priced - The ITG costing only a bit more and delivering only a few more bhp (relatively!).

Looking at the VWR's design in photos it appears to be extremely well considered but from a sales point of view, where does the VWR intake fit into the market? - Rightly or wrongly, people's expectations are that a higher price reflects higher power gains. From my own knowledge of VWR they partner product developments and don't just slap a VWR label on as some people accuse them of. It will have taken them considerable time to develop this air intake and that without significant gains or advantages they would not have brought the product to market.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline ktlstar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2012, 03:10:23 pm »
IMO all these induction kits / air filters are over priced. 

I mean i had a £10 pipercross air filter that fitted straight to my TD04 turbo with a small bit of silicone piping on my old jap car which did the job. Some nutters were running no filter and just a mesh.

What im saying is a DIY kit would be just as good IMO!
- #1240 ED30 Revo STAGE2+
- Southeast - Vag Com owner

Offline Dp_Ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2012, 03:12:49 pm »
Try that on a modern car and see the maf jump out the car in a fit  :signLOL:

Agreed the kits are expensive but when u look at the gains I think they represent good value for money

Offline ktlstar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: May 03, 2012, 03:16:10 pm »
understandable on the maf readings but does the ecu not read  this / correct ?

Wouldnt the neuspeed which is around £180-£200 just as good as this vwr kit ?

The principle is getting air to the turbo / shortest route the better!

Offline Dp_Ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #82 on: May 03, 2012, 03:20:09 pm »
understandable on the maf readings but does the ecu not read  this / correct ?

Wouldnt the neuspeed which is around £180-£200 just as good as this vwr kit ?

The principle is getting air to the turbo / shortest route the better!

I don't know the in's and out's but it's not as simple as that.

The vwr intake is said to have added 30whp onne golf R, i also think looking awesome adds some valuento the product  :happy2:

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #83 on: May 03, 2012, 03:24:16 pm »
I think a fair point is being made - there is often criticism for the high costs of a "filter on a stick".  However, I do intend on getting nice, clean, filtered air in to my engine and don't mind paying a bit extra for that.

Looking at the VWR's design in photos it appears to be extremely well considered but from a sales point of view, where does the VWR intake fit into the market?  

Not sure where it fits in the market Robin but I am certain that it fits under a bonnet....and there is a limit to what premium I would personally pay for bling but as, always, respect that others may have a different opinion :happy2:

Offline ktlstar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: May 03, 2012, 03:30:10 pm »
Its just when you look at the kit its just pipe + air filter with  a big price tag  :grin:

I guess it comes to the fitting quality aswell.

Johnnyc on his ED30 had a small intake which sat beside the cambelt area  :happy2:

Look here for example,  abit of pipe and air filter

On a starlet, you can see the HKS mushroom airfilter comes straight off the turbo (green/down to the left of the engine)

I would like to know just as we all how they put a price tag on something on the induction kits i.e ITG/NEUSPEED/VWR etcetc

Offline Dp_Ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #85 on: May 03, 2012, 03:37:02 pm »
To cover R&D for a start.

The 2 cara you used as a example are both old cars with old tech.

End of the day I know they cost a lotmof money but the product has shown gains and people will buy it

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #86 on: May 03, 2012, 03:49:12 pm »
I have to say that I struggle with pricing too but have to get over it quickly as modding is sometimes incompatible with rational thought and financial sense  :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: May 03, 2012, 03:54:19 pm »
To cover R&D for a start.

The 2 cara you used as a example are both old cars with old tech.

End of the day I know they cost a lotmof money but the product has shown gains and people will buy it

I dont think R & D is anything to do with it, the price does not decrease as the R & D is paid for does it?  :P (Like TV's and new electrical goods), I agree getting the MAF scaling is to do with R & D the rest is to do with marketing and what they can charge and get away with, it's more likely like the Re-maps, it's proven that people will pay for it especially if it has a brand name attached to it that people know/like  :grin:, this is more marketing than R & D.

If a product from company A is proved shown to give 15bhp and the product from B is proved shown to give 17-19 bhp they can price it how they like  :signLOL: as the willy wavers will be all over it  :popcornsoda:

Personally I agree that most of them are over-priced for what they are, it is part of the reason I did not buy one of the mainstream high priced products available.

APR's latest claim of 30bhp on the Golf R seems a little high to me, Its easy to push the engine to the limit on std airbox and then slap on "their" new amazing product
and lo and behold its gives massive figures........... :surprised:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:59:52 pm by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Dp_Ed30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #88 on: May 03, 2012, 04:10:34 pm »
Agreed re: pushing the limits on stock air box and chucking on the intake on but remember the golf r is a relatively mildly tuned car in the sense it it still on stock turbo and it running just bolt ons that any of us can buy for our own cars.

Like I said I'm planning on giving the intake a go, yes it's expensive but when a tank of petrol is £80 what's a extra £150 to get e kit that you want  :P

And before any body says anything yes I am a tart and engine back looks to make a difference  :P

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #89 on: May 03, 2012, 04:18:45 pm »

I dont think R & D is anything to do with it, the price does not decrease as the R & D is paid for does it?  :P (Like TV's and new electrical goods), I agree getting the MAF scaling is to do with R & D the rest is to do with marketing and what they can charge and get away with, it's more likely like the Re-maps, it's proven that people will pay for it especially if it has a brand name attached to it that people know/like  :grin:, this is more marketing than R & D.

If a product from company A is proved shown to give 15bhp and the product from B is proved shown to give 17-19 bhp they can price it how they like  :signLOL: as the willy wavers will be all over it  :popcornsoda:

Personally I agree that most of them are over-priced for what they are, it is part of the reason I did not buy one of the mainstream high priced products available.

APR's latest claim of 30bhp on the Golf R seems a little high to me, Its easy to push the engine to the limit on std airbox and then slap on "their" new amazing product
and lo and behold its gives massive figures........... :surprised:

....Oh good! That's better - Something I don't agree with you on again at last  :happy2:

We can debate this until the cows come home but I do think that rather than dismiss products just because they are offered by a mainstream established company (as you seem to be doing) is unjustifiable and narrows down your options.

Personally, choosing products from a known brand gives me a lot of confidence based on what that brand represents. Hence my choice of APR over Autotech HPFP, just for example.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!