Make a donation

Author Topic: BT Infinity is getting even faster! Free upgrade if you're on Unlimited option  (Read 10489 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=b9kjg0fj4j5kv114ofuhmddksj&/topic,19740.0.html
My understanding of it is 2 from the street into Master socket. You then get filters applied which leaves you 2 for the phone and the 2 for the data. Assuming you then extend all 4 wires then no problem.

In the good old days though you needed to extend an extra wire from the Master to allow your extensions to ring.

Guess that's changed these days.  :smiley:

I presume thats all part of the new master socket faceplate? Although he did start saying something about capacitors in the extension sockets... but is turned off by that point.  :signLOL:

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
I thought it was 2 wires and the little filter you plugged in sorted phone from data. That's how it worked with broadband ordinaire anyways. Sounds like Infinity is split at the master and then uses 2 different pins from the phone line, hence the requirement for the extra cores if running off an extension?

I'll have to get the lowdown next week!

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
Yay!  :laugh:

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
nice one, :happy2:

And did the nice Mann from openreach put your master socket in your preferred location?
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
And did the nice Mann from openreach put his master socket in your preferred location?

:surprised: :surprised:

I didn't know BT offered those sorts of services   :confused: :evilgrin:

Saintsteve

My understanding of it is 2 from the street into Master socket. You then get filters applied which leaves you 2 for the phone and the 2 for the data. Assuming you then extend all 4 wires then no problem.

In the good old days though you needed to extend an extra wire from the Master to allow your extensions to ring.

Guess that's changed these days.  :smiley:

As long as your using 8 core wrapped cable, you won't experience slower speeds if your using an extension cable from your master socket.

Infinity doesnt use micro filters btw Ian if that's what you were referring too?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 02:26:12 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
nice one, :happy2:

And did the nice Mann from openreach put your master socket in your preferred location?

Yup, only took him a few minutes. He told me he's done nothing other than Infinity installations for the last year and averages 5 a day.

Could've done with a beefy chap like yourself actually, to help put the furniture back afterwards. IKEA office furniture is definitely built to last and I have arms made of jelly at the moment! Slightly annoying is the thickness of the new socket means the cabinet I took apart is now about a cm further out than the one next to it and the other one is so heavy I can't move it.  :ashamed:

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
Take the other one apart and then rebuild it 1cm further forwards - Simples  :grin:

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
Actually, now I look again, they're level at the top, but not the bottom, so I guess I have a bit of lean somewhere!

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
Dismantle the house, level the foundations and then rebuild  :happy2:

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • No longer a Golfer
I'm suddenly getting used to liking the cabinets like that, but I'll keep your suggestion in mind...  :grin:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304

Infinity doesnt use micro filters btw Ian if that's what you were referring too?

No I wasn't Steve.  :confused:

Found this if it helps Steve from another forum.  :happy2:

Correct, the physical cable coming into the house has multiple pairs in the event you want additional lines etc, but a single phone line only uses one single pair.

When you get Infinity installed the same single pair your phone line uses is required. Infinity is just VDSL which as the name suggests is just another form of DSL so it works by using unused frequencies on the phone line that are not required for the voice service. The faceplate BT fit on is simply just a filter but it's neatly integrated into the socket. It's nothing special, no other pairs are wired up. In fact, I'm sure even regular ADSL filters will still work for VDSL as I have seen a couple of VDSL installations with the original BT engineer installed 2001-era faceplates left on and it works fine.

When I had Infinity installed, the tech just took off my standard BT only faceplate, put the new VDSL faceplate on and that was it. Just unscrewed the old and screwed on the new. No wires were involved whatsoever because I have no extension wiring.

They used to do exactly the same back in the early ADSL days too. When I first got ADSL installed back in 2001 it was engineer installation only and BT charged £150 for the privilege. A year or two after they allowed users to do the self-install with plug in filters. I imagine this will happen for VDSL eventually also, just while it's a new product they want to be sure everything is ok.

As already mentioned, if you don't have a standard BT socket they should fit one and it shouldn't cost you any extra. Worst case scenario is that they should fit in a data extension kit (nothing more than an unfiltered data socket for VDSL only) and piggyback this as an extension off your current master.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 04:30:14 pm by Hedge »

Saintsteve

No I wasn't Steve.  :confused:

Found this if it helps Steve from another forum.  :happy2:

Correct, the physical cable coming into the house has multiple pairs in the event you want additional lines etc, but a single phone line only uses one single pair.

When you get Infinity installed the same single pair your phone line uses is required. Infinity is just VDSL which as the name suggests is just another form of DSL so it works by using unused frequencies on the phone line that are not required for the voice service. The faceplate BT fit on is simply just a filter but it's neatly integrated into the socket. It's nothing special, no other pairs are wired up. In fact, I'm sure even regular ADSL filters will still work for VDSL as I have seen a couple of VDSL installations with the original BT engineer installed 2001-era faceplates left on and it works fine.

When I had Infinity installed, the tech just took off my standard BT only faceplate, put the new VDSL faceplate on and that was it. Just unscrewed the old and screwed on the new. No wires were involved whatsoever because I have no extension wiring.

They used to do exactly the same back in the early ADSL days too. When I first got ADSL installed back in 2001 it was engineer installation only and BT charged £150 for the privilege. A year or two after they allowed users to do the self-install with plug in filters. I imagine this will happen for VDSL eventually also, just while it's a new product they want to be sure everything is ok.

As already mentioned, if you don't have a standard BT socket they should fit one and it shouldn't cost you any extra. Worst case scenario is that they should fit in a data extension kit (nothing more than an unfiltered data socket for VDSL only) and piggyback this as an extension off your current master.
Cheers Ian, but I already knew that  :happy2:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304

Cheers Ian, but I already knew that  :happy2:

Glad to hear it.  :happy2:

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201