Make a donation

Author Topic: Scam Scam Scam. Is a long post guys  (Read 1845 times)

Offline nathangallo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Scam Scam Scam. Is a long post guys
« on: April 23, 2012, 11:12:20 pm »
Just posting this so no one gets stung like i nearly did!

Basically i am selling a car on ebay and i got contacted by a guy wanting to buy the car with an email like this

'Thanks for the mail,i am buying this for my son as his gift because i would not be around to celebrate with him i am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore and due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. I really want this item to be a surprise gift for my son so i wont let him know anything about the item until it gets delivered to him,i am sure he will be more than happy with the item.I will make the payment through paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account,as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payment as soon as possible for the item and pls if you don't have PayPal account yet,it is very easy to set up, go on www.paypal.co.uk and get it set up ,after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through.I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up immediately you have receive the payment in full.please get back to me with your last price.
Jordan David'

So i got back to him and we settled on a figure and gave him my paypal account

he then emailed me this

'I was just about to pay when i had this problem with the pick up, my
pick up agent says i will need to pay for the pick up before they can
schedule a pick up time, they charged me £250 for pick up and
delivery,and payments for pick up made through them is made to their
corporate international headquarters which is in the Africa and the
payments is made through western union money transfer, i will add the
£250 to your money i will send through paypal as soon as i have made
the payments, i will email you and let you know and please i will need
you to help me send the money to my pick up agent Hq in the Africa
through western union money transfer, this can be done from any post
office ,there is always western union money transfer section in most
post offices(you can do it online as well at
(www.westernunion.com)..., i would have done it myself but we cant/
bring some of our personal effects along, i am a little
incapacitated.....I will appreciate your help here.
Jordan.'

which i immediatly said no to but he still percisted to supposidly pay to my paypal.

This was the next one

have just made the payments now and i expect paypal to have emailed you by now,i sent £750.00 in all, To (nathan.gallo@live.com) paypal said they would be holding the funds and it will not be credited into your account because of the excess payments of £250.00 i added meant for pick up and delivery,they said they have emailed you to this effect, you will need to send the £250.00 to my pick up agent Headquarters via western union money transfer,so that paypal can credit the £750.00 into your account as soon as you have emailed the western union details to them, i added extra  £50 to cover the western union charges which shouldn't be more that £20-30 but just to be sure i added £50.
Here is the pick up agent info needed to get the money sent through
western union money transfer:

EREWEMEN.A.AUGUSTINE
100 New G.R.A Road Ibadan,
Oyo state,
Nigeria.

I will need the details of the transfer once you have sent fund . . .
1.The MTCN number that is the 10  digits number on the Western Union  receipt
2.Sender's name and address used in sending the money
3.Actual amount sent.
4.Question and Answer

From
Jordan

after this i had an email from a paypal which looed the same as the proper one explaining that i had to pay this agecny £250 and then they would release the £750 into my account which i said no to.

i just knew it was fishy so i typed in the guys name into internet 'EREWEMEN.A.AUGUSTINE'

Guess what  :signLOL:
another car forum www.gtr.co.uk has already posted the exact same thing which has happened to me lol  :fighting: :fighting:
dirty nigerian PMSL :fighting:

Hope no one actually gets caught by this

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Scam Scam Scam. Is a long post guys
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 11:18:26 pm »
Alarm bells started ringing for me when he wanted it to be delivered elsewhere. If you were gonna buy a car for your kid, you'd check it out or get someone else to do so.

More bells when he started talking about paypal. It's so ubiquitous you don't need to explain it to most folk hence that concerned me. I would have replied stating he can paypal his "agent" and the agent can pay me in cash only or no deal. Or just said it's been sold.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline nathangallo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 11:21:04 pm »
ye thats what i said to him that its not me who pays it lol
some people mind dont half have some cheek :signLOL:

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 11:21:25 pm »
lol as soon as your read Africa it just becomes one big joke.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 11:22:08 pm »

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 11:22:22 pm »
Can't believe you even wasted any time replying to him at all!!  :surprised:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=kc0kvieirnthqr9ggiodk37uqi&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 11:24:06 pm »
That was getting fishy by the end of the first sentence.   :smiley:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 12:29:29 am »
Ha ha, I had about 7 of them try when I was selling my MK4 1.8T, I even towed the line with one woman/man called "Grace" for a week with emails back and forth (just for a laugh), her/his son was in university, car for him, she/he works away, blah bla, paypal payment we will collect blah blah. Afyer a week I actually let her/him send the money for the car and gave her/him a random address (my old address from 4 houses previous) for collection, she/he sent an email 3 days later saying that collection agent said they could not find the car at the address....... :signLOL:.

I emailed back explaining that the car was in an accident with me in it and I was replying from hospital and that internet access was not easy as to be able to use my Ipad I had to be wheeled outside in my bed as internet access on digital devices was not allowed in UK hospitals  :signLOL: :signLOL:

I think it was then she/he twigged I was taking the piss and was scamming a scammer, she/he sent an angry email saying "Your messin with the wrong people" (It was at this point it clearly sounded like a bloke in the email and not a woman), I just replied and said "yeah im sure I am but you dont know who your messin with!" she/he opened up a paypal dispute and I dragged it out over almost 3 weeks before I eventually refunded her, never heard from her/him again, and that was the last contact about my car from scammers (perhaps they are all linked?).

I spoke to paypal about it and the Irish woman was pissing herself laughing as I was reading out the emails back an forth, she said its good to hear that they get screwed over now and again, when I asked if this was the first time with this problem on the account she said there are several pages of notes on the account and with the emails I sent her she told me it was now likely to be blocked. :happy2:

Things to look out for:-

Email addresses usually resemble some semi famous name like donnyosmond@..........com mine happened to be gracejones@.....com  :grin: its never johnsmith@......com (not seen one yet anyway) and their email names if you google them come up on scammer warning lists (do input details if they are not on there!).

Bad grammar (not spelling as typos happen), poorly written, clearly looking like broken english.

Paypal and collection is a BIG NO NO!!, cant prove you shipped it, they get refunded!, dont do it, even if they collect in person and sign a note saying "Item received", when I sold my car to a genuine buyer he wanted to send a £500 deposit by paypal to secure the car, I said no problem but bring the whole amount in cash and I will refund the £500 via paypal and you can make sure its refunded before you leave (which he did and it was).

Sob stories......, yeah sorry to hear about your son/brother/aunt/uncle but.....    .....off!

If they persist emailing you just copy a link of the scammer website to your blank reply and add them to block list, they usually stop then!, if you can be bothered you can report it to your ISP provider and they can use the info.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 12:46:47 am by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 08:46:54 am »
Have you been on the internet for a week or something?

Thanks for the mail,i am buying this for my son as his gift because i would not be around to celebrate with him i am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore and due to the nature of my work

I didnt need to read any more than this.

I'd also be very surprised that your paypal account hasnt been fished and hacked if you clicked on links in the email he sent you.

You know they have taken the word gullible out of the dictionary?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:51:19 am by Deako »

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 08:48:26 am »
Ha ha, I had about 7 of them try when I was selling my MK4 1.8T, I even towed the line with one woman/man called "Grace" for a week with emails back and forth (just for a laugh), her/his son was in university, car for him, she/he works away, blah bla, paypal payment we will collect blah blah. Afyer a week I actually let her/him send the money for the car and gave her/him a random address (my old address from 4 houses previous) for collection, she/he sent an email 3 days later saying that collection agent said they could not find the car at the address....... :signLOL:.

I emailed back explaining that the car was in an accident with me in it and I was replying from hospital and that internet access was not easy as to be able to use my Ipad I had to be wheeled outside in my bed as internet access on digital devices was not allowed in UK hospitals  :signLOL: :signLOL:

I think it was then she/he twigged I was taking the piss and was scamming a scammer, she/he sent an angry email saying "Your messin with the wrong people" (It was at this point it clearly sounded like a bloke in the email and not a woman), I just replied and said "yeah im sure I am but you dont know who your messin with!" she/he opened up a paypal dispute and I dragged it out over almost 3 weeks before I eventually refunded her, never heard from her/him again, and that was the last contact about my car from scammers (perhaps they are all linked?).

I spoke to paypal about it and the Irish woman was pissing herself laughing as I was reading out the emails back an forth, she said its good to hear that they get screwed over now and again, when I asked if this was the first time with this problem on the account she said there are several pages of notes on the account and with the emails I sent her she told me it was now likely to be blocked. :happy2:

Things to look out for:-

Email addresses usually resemble some semi famous name like donnyosmond@..........com mine happened to be gracejones@.....com  :grin: its never johnsmith@......com (not seen one yet anyway) and their email names if you google them come up on scammer warning lists (do input details if they are not on there!).

Bad grammar (not spelling as typos happen), poorly written, clearly looking like broken english.

Paypal and collection is a BIG NO NO!!, cant prove you shipped it, they get refunded!, dont do it, even if they collect in person and sign a note saying "Item received", when I sold my car to a genuine buyer he wanted to send a £500 deposit by paypal to secure the car, I said no problem but bring the whole amount in cash and I will refund the £500 via paypal and you can make sure its refunded before you leave (which he did and it was).

Sob stories......, yeah sorry to hear about your son/brother/aunt/uncle but.....    .....off!

If they persist emailing you just copy a link of the scammer website to your blank reply and add them to block list, they usually stop then!, if you can be bothered you can report it to your ISP provider and they can use the info.

Tamiyoman for president

to the OP - seriously? after that first email you still genuinely persued it?
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline DanGB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 12
  • Different
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 09:49:51 am »
for a start..  Who calls a car an 'item'  :grin:
Seat Leon Mk2 TFSI sport 4WD sleeper - Breaking
Buld thread: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45377.0.html

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 03:02:07 pm »
You know they have taken the word gullible out of the dictionary?
You're right Rupert deako, they did!

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.