Make a donation

Author Topic: Should I sell GTI to buy R32?  (Read 11096 times)

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=9i5o73sqncfm4kvl9elr36ql4i&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Should I sell GTI to buy R32?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 09:29:09 am »
Yes... do it..... but don't come back here in a few weeks time because your bored of the power.  :happy2:

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 10:44:17 am »
To Change a GTI to a R32 seems a bit pointless as an every day car. It would cost you more to run and as an every day car the performance would be negligible.
They also both look virtually the same on the inside so you would only see the difference when it was parked in the drive. For another £3k plus ! No thanks  :innocent:
Now if you were changing to and Edition 30 that would be different  :innocent:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 10:46:38 am »
To Change a GTI to a R32 seems a bit pointless as an every day car. It would cost you more to run and as an every day car the performance would be negligible.
They also both look virtually the same on the inside so you would only see the difference when it was parked in the drive. For another £3k plus ! No thanks  :innocent:

an Ed30? which looks even more similar, has an even more negligible daily performance gain and costs even more than £3k to swap?

you didn't really think that thru did you...
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2012, 10:53:33 am »

an Ed30? which looks even more similar, has an even more negligible daily performance gain and costs even more than £3k to swap?

Except that for £400 you can have 290-300bhp and that would seriosuly outperform the R32 in all but monsoon conditions.
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2012, 10:56:40 am »
Actually didn't think about it at all as it was done a bit " Tongue in cheek" as i happen to own an Edition 30 and put a "  :innocent: " at the end of the post

To subtle ?

and the same as Tamiyoman......its got 300bhp for an extra £300 spent .......you really didn't think your post through did you Sub ?  :evilgrin:
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:00:10 am by garrardrj »
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2012, 11:04:13 am »
Why don't you go to a dealership and test drive a r32 and see what you think or how you feel, someone already mentioned here that you will end up spending more on it because of the fuel - if you want a true daily thats practical maybe stick with the gti or even get diesel with a map. *Shrugs* its personal opinion when deciding on a daily car - some people want performance, some want economy, some want small hatch for parking others want a saloon for long journeys.

Really need 500 donkeys though to get away quick style when someone spots you driving one. Soooorry to dis but a 200-300 bhp 'german barge' may not be as quick buuuut you can drive one with your head held high and not be frowned on by people thinking your an obnoxious boy racer or a drug dealer. Not to mention the 80s styling and iffy build quality  :sick:

Quality over quantity.

My 50p's worth.

imho I think your a bit wrong - your forgetting Subaru are built for performance and not luxury and they are a damn good build at that - their engines are just as if not more bullet proof than ours if you consider how much bhp they can push out with little effort and the latest wrx and sti (2012) is a very nice bit of kit with refined interior and body and stylish features.

And theres nothing to say that when people see someone in a gti thats lowered, has alloys and a louder than normal exhaust they dont think "boy racer drug dealer" that's just the perception of people who are not into the car tuning scene.

Although I do agree with you with regards to the price and cost of running and owning a r32 all three things do weigh up against the gti  :happy2:

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2012, 11:05:43 am »
I Love......Lamp?  :ashamed:

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 11:08:45 am »
 :confused:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 11:11:17 am »

Except that for £400 you can have 290-300bhp and that would seriosuly outperform the R32 in all but monsoon conditions.

we're not talking about tuned cars tho

why not buy a 2nd hand A3 3.2 quattro for £7k, put a big turbo on it and d*ck all over a Stage 1 Ed30 then? how far do you want to take it?

clearly garrardrj's comments were comparing the standard cars against each other and hence made no sense whatsoever. if not your mention of £3k is wrong if you're having to spend more money on a tune. i'd like to see a GTI + £2.7k get swapped for an Ed30 and then have £300 left over for a tune (and let's ignore for a second that for that kind of power you'd need money for brakes and suspension)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 11:19:12 am by sub39h »
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2012, 11:14:37 am »
you mean like this  :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2012, 11:17:49 am »
i meant the 8P shape, but thanks for the input lol  :happy2:

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2012, 11:23:38 am »

Nice wheels  :happy2:

Exhaust looks poo  :booty:

Offline Bazgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2012, 01:12:26 pm »

1 word... WOW!!

Offline Ciaran

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2012, 01:15:37 pm »

1 word... WOW!!

Impressive... The impreza does that and goes around corners as well. 0-100 in under 10 seconds.... Till the engine broke :(

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2012, 02:36:50 pm »
They also both look virtually the same on the inside so you would only see the difference when it was parked in the drive. For another £3k plus ! No thanks  :innocent:
Now if you were changing to and Edition 30 that would be different  :innocent:

we're not talking about tuned cars tho

why not buy a 2nd hand A3 3.2 quattro for £7k, put a big turbo on it and d*ck all over a Stage 1 Ed30 then? how far do you want to take it?

I think he said he wants a VW on his drive, not a Golf in a Fur Coat
 :happy2:

clearly garrardrj's comments were comparing the standard cars against each other and hence made no sense whatsoever. if not your mention of £3k is wrong if you're having to spend more money on a tune. i'd like to see a GTI + £2.7k get swapped for an Ed30 and then have £300 left over for a tune (and let's ignore for a second that for that kind of power you'd need money for brakes and suspension)

ED30's have started to drop below 10K regularly, even seen higher mileage (NON cat D) cars going for 9K, so unless his GTI is worth less than £7k, he will have enuff money.  :happy2:

Do you "Need" uprated brakes and suspension for a Road car?, or is it "Needed" for a car if you plan on track days in it, just coz my ED30 will have 300hp compared to 230hp does not mean I will be attacking roundabouts faster or sweeping bends quicker, it just means I get up to speed quicker, I still allow safe distances for braking. Uprated brakes required=NO, preferred? possibly yes.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 02:38:51 pm by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14