Make a donation

Author Topic: Having a bad day!!  (Read 3556 times)

Offline vRStu

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
Having a bad day!!
« on: April 24, 2012, 10:49:45 pm »
Just dropped my Macbook Pro and smashed the glass outer screen - Bugger  :fighting:

It still works fine which is something.  I've looked on eBay and the glass appears to be around £35 so I'll give the Apple Store a try and see what they say.

Anyone else had it done?
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: Having a bad day!!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 10:52:48 pm »
Gutted for you pal!!  :sad1:

I had my iPhone replaced by Apple yesterday then promptly dropped it from my hand onto my MacBook next to the mouse pad and it took a chunk out of the aluminium!!  :surprised: :sad1:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 10:56:13 pm »
Ahh, that's a shame mate.

I don't actually really know how I did it.
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 11:00:05 pm »
How the chuff did you manage that  :surprised:

Have you had a look at iFixit to do it yourself?

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 11:02:15 pm »
Already had a quick look mate but I'm going to see what the Apple Store has to say first.  I'd sooner let them do it if I can.
Stu...

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 11:07:04 pm »
I'd be surprised if you saw much change from £100. But at least it will have a warranty and you'll know for certain it's a genuine part.

Did you do it at home or are you away?

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 11:07:57 pm »
At home mate, rushing around getting ready to go away tomorrow - doh.
Stu...

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 11:14:44 pm »
I hope it gets done quickly for you. When I had the lower half of mine replaced it took them 16 days. But the was due to a delay on the part (so they said).

Best get transferring some "tutorials" to the iPad  :wink:

Offline pipston

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 11:49:24 pm »
Already had a quick look mate but I'm going to see what the Apple Store has to say first.  I'd sooner let them do it if I can.

so you're happy to take my car apart into a million bits but you dont wanna do your own macbook  :signLOL: sh*t luck mate hope it dont cost too much!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=8l3ql17eom01i4c2ncmk0mnvdo&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 11:50:41 pm »
Ohhhh balls. Is it a uni-body design? I thought they were pretty resilient.  :sad1:

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 12:11:25 pm »
Quick Update -

Things are not progressing very well.

I phoned my local Apple Store - Sorry we can't give you a price unless you bring it into the store.  I'll put you through to Apple Care, they'll give you a price but it may be different to ours.

Apple Care - Sorry we don't deal with repairs only Tech Support.  I'll give you the number of a local Authorised Repairer.

Authorised Repairer - I've asked the technician and he thinks off the top of his head it would be around £400 for the part plus an hours labour but we don't really know until we order the part. So what you're saying is you don't want my business and you can't be arsed to check the price and give me a proper estimate.

Another Apple Store - Hold on, I'll just check.  We think it will be around £200 - £300 because we need to replace the LCD as well.

Hmm - I get the feeling I'm not getting very far here.

Maybe I will be doing it myself!!
Stu...

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2012, 12:13:07 pm »
 :signLOL:

so you're happy to take my car apart into a million bits but you dont wanna do your own macbook  :signLOL: sh*t luck mate hope it dont cost too much!

The reason you bring your car to me is that I vaguely know what I'm doing - I rest my case  :evilgrin:

If it comes to it I'll give it a go but my concern is ending up with dust or hair behind the glass.
Stu...

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2012, 12:14:46 pm »
Claim on home insurance maybe

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 12:16:26 pm »
Claim on home insurance maybe

Yep that's also being considered Mat, gotta see what the excess is.

If it's £100 to get the job done maybe not worth it but more than that and we'll do it.
Stu...