Make a donation

Author Topic: MFD2 to RNS510 and CANBUS Upgrade - HELP!  (Read 2416 times)

Offline robb1ec

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
MFD2 to RNS510 and CANBUS Upgrade - HELP!
« on: April 12, 2012, 07:43:15 am »
Hi

Firstly apologies if this is in the wrong area!

I was hoping to try and find someone who may be able to assist me?  I have a 2006 (55) GTI DSG with factory MFD2 at present with latest CANBUS and RNS510 in the post.  However I do not have (and at the moment with my run of bad luck am dubious of doing it anyway) a VAG-COM/VCDS to recode.

The question is do I need to get anything else?  Anyone fancy giving me a hand (Guildford, Surrey)?  Beverages (whatever you fancy!) and paper notes for assistance  :smiley:

As I said I would do it myself, but no VAG-COM, run of bad luck, and I have a pregnant (hormonal) wife with slightly less patience than normal!!

2006 (55) MK5 GTI DSG

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
Re: MFD2 to RNS510 and CANBUS Upgrade - HELP!
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 08:13:13 am »
If you can pop over to Camberley, I would gladly give you a hand. I will be doing some stuff on my brothers car this Saturday, again. So I will be able to help you out if needed. Only thing I can think of that you might need is the aerial adapter, other than that, all good to go.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:14:18 am »
Have a look here to see who's in your area. http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,120.0.html

Offline robb1ec

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 07:37:01 pm »
Top notch, thanks for the replies!  Camberley should be no bother to get too; however could it be next week maybe an evening or perhaps a week this Saturday?  On the  aerial adapter front can I be cheeky and be directed?  Just to save a little time?  I will order one this evening then!

Thanks again for the help from both of you!   :wink: :happy2:
2006 (55) MK5 GTI DSG

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 07:41:54 pm »
Next week Saturday should be fine. During the week is not the easiest as I work away. Quick job, did the same on mine a few months back. Easier with the MFD2 as the GPS antenna doesn't need to be routed, just plugged over.

As for the aerial adapter, check this thread:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=10963.0

All you need is the plastic connector part, not the wires.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline robb1ec

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 09:06:00 pm »
Perfect!  I was about to reply with a - "is it just the first one of these two" which is required from this link:

4E0 035 608 K - £2.30*
000 098 707 (you will need 2 of these) - £14.46* each

http://www.r32oc.com/tutorials-guides/18955-rns-510-mfd-install-how-guide-inc-pin-swap.html

:smiley:

I will order these from the dealer (assuming they don't have any in stock) and then arrange with you a suitable time to hook up!

Thank you soo much!!! :notworthy:
2006 (55) MK5 GTI DSG

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 09:29:36 pm »
Yep, you don't need the wires at all. I just removed the original fakra plugs from my antenna wires and inserted the antenna wire ends into the twin plug.

Offline robb1ec

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2012, 01:03:33 am »
Plug ordered from the dealer today ETA Tuesday so should good for next Sat if you are still willing :). How do you want to arrange??  I can't PM yet... Boo!!
2006 (55) MK5 GTI DSG

Offline robb1ec

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 04:43:01 pm »
Hi

I have all the kit and parts (I believe) now, so if the offer is still there then I would love to pop to Camberley on Saturday!

One thing I forgot to mention (eek) is we have a CD changer in the arm rest do I need anything specific for that or will it simply plug in?  I understand there is a pin change needed to be done to remove noise in this instance?  Is that correct?

Let me know, I am going to put a few more posts up so that I can use the PM side of this site.

Thanks again for all your help!
2006 (55) MK5 GTI DSG

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 07:26:40 pm »
No probs at all. Can still do Saturday. Will be changing all the discs and pads on the wife's car so will be there. As soon as you can send me a pm and I will reply with all the details, etc.

With regards the plugs, I swapped the pins on mine and it didn't work, so put them back to standard and all was good so we can check that too before fitting everything properly.

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 06:51:25 pm »
Hi

I have all the kit and parts (I believe) now, so if the offer is still there then I would love to pop to Camberley on Saturday!

One thing I forgot to mention (eek) is we have a CD changer in the arm rest do I need anything specific for that or will it simply plug in?  I understand there is a pin change needed to be done to remove noise in this instance?  Is that correct?

Let me know, I am going to put a few more posts up so that I can use the PM side of this site.

Thanks again for all your help!

Blue Plug, Black wire for CD / ipod Pin 2 to Pin 3

Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline robb1ec

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 08:12:10 pm »
Thanks Eddie and thanks also for sorting CAN gateway via the yellow auction site! :)

Sorting out PM now!
2006 (55) MK5 GTI DSG

Offline robb1ec

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 08:27:53 am »
How many posts needed to be able to PM??
2006 (55) MK5 GTI DSG

Offline robb1ec

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 11:47:22 pm »
Squeeguk - thank you so much for your help on Saturday!  Always good to work with enthusiasts!! :grin:

Eddie-NL - Squeeguk suggested that you might be able to supply me the correct adapter for the antenna as VW seem to have changed it?  The packet had the right part code, but there was no way the pins and connector block were vaguely meant for each other!  By the way thank you for shipping the Canbus GW so quickly, we had it all done and some coding in around 90 mins including a tea break  :happy2: (my ebay is Techb0y08).

If you need me to PM let me know and will do  :smiley:
2006 (55) MK5 GTI DSG

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2012, 08:52:01 pm »
Anytime Bud.

Was good meeting you. Considering you did most of the work yourself with fitting the RNS. :happy2: