Make a donation

Author Topic: ESP Light on  (Read 9590 times)

Offline B1NCC 1.8T

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Re: ESP Light on
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2012, 06:32:30 pm »
Will cause you no problem , aslong as you are aware the ESP system will not work while the light is on, so safe driving till it's fixed lol

20vt mk2 & GTI Edition30 no 0540

Offline rsreid2000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2012, 06:37:51 pm »
Thanks for that B1NCC 1.8T. This forum is brilliant for all the good sound advice. Thanks for all the responses.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2012, 11:47:14 pm »
Mine threw up this problem just before I was going to buy it. The previous owner had an extended warrenty so took it to VW and they changed the ABS unit. I was lucky.

The car was about 3.5 years old at the time (Nov 2010) so a few months out of the original warrenty.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2012, 05:35:43 pm »
Mine has been on since I put the wrong clocks in it.  Saves me switching it off every time!!!  :grin:

Offline flipmyflipper

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2012, 05:45:16 pm »
Had the same fault with mine and it was a faulty wheel bearing. Also I spoke to someone in VW that said they can fix the abs pump fault with a kit thats around £100 plus labour. I bet the people that paid over a grand of their own money for new abs pumps will be happy to hear that!  :sad1:

2005 Golf GTD - 18" Speedlines|Eibach Sportline Springs|Powerflow S/Steel Exhaust|GTI Lights, Fogs, Bumpers, Side Skirts & Grill|R32 Rear Lights

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2012, 09:07:19 pm »
Mine has been on since I put the wrong clocks in it.  Saves me switching it off every time!!!  :grin:

Ok until MOT time as light on is a Fail! :sad1:

Offline rsreid2000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2012, 09:41:22 pm »
Will be interesting on Monday to see what they say!!!!

Offline dub singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 13
  • Snakebite Chasers...
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2012, 10:04:14 pm »
Had the same fault with mine and it was a faulty wheel bearing. Also I spoke to someone in VW that said they can fix the abs pump fault with a kit thats around £100 plus labour. I bet the people that paid over a grand of their own money for new abs pumps will be happy to hear that!  :sad1:

£100 plus labour   :surprised:

Is that mates rates?

My ESP lights been on for about 7months now... Cheapest ive been quoted on a repair kit is around £500 inc labour??

Which VW outlet did you speak too?  :surprised:
If you're having Audio problems i feel bad for ya son... I've got 99 problems but Bass aint one!

Offline rsreid2000

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 09:11:20 am »
Update:
Picked car up yesterday in stealers all day. Replaced the ABS Sender Unit. Dont know if its my imagination but the brakes seem a bit sharper. Never asked the cost as its under warranty coundnt wait to get out of there. Had a nice edition 35 on the front in black.

vw55raz

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2012, 10:06:28 am »

Mines also been on since I upgraded to highline clocks last week.

I thought only ABS light was a failure and not ESP.

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2012, 10:19:49 am »

Mines also been on since I upgraded to highline clocks last week.

I thought only ABS light was a failure and not ESP.

As of the 1 January 2012, the MOT test we all know and love will change. No I am not talking about the government consultation exercise mooting a possible change to 4-2-2 frequencies, that would be opening another can of worms entirely. What I am referring to is the technological evolution of the test that will see our belovedly idiosyncratic MOT stretch itself to incorporate an MIL survey. That’s a Malfunction Indicator Lamp check to you and me.

This will call for the examiner to visually check that warnings lights for ESP, SRS, ABS, TPMS and TTFN (…alright not the last one!) are not permanently illuminated. This will come into effect from 1 January but will be highlighted as an advisory item only until 31 March. From 1 April onwards, vehicles will fail an MOT if these lights are illuminated. Warnings lights or MIL that are to be noted if illuminated include ESP; Electronic Stability Programme, SRS; Safety Restraint System, ABS; Anti-Locking Brake System, and TPMS (Tyre Pressure Monitoring System). 

wycombe_gti

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2012, 10:32:08 am »
Citygate in Wycombe did the "full" £1500 repair on mine, and just charge me £130ish in the end as part of an out of warranty goodwill claim they put through. Car had been serviced at VW it's whole life (4 years, 30k ish miles at the time).

Chris

vw55raz

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2012, 10:45:31 am »
Looks like I need to visit high Wycombe!

What reg is your vehicle?

wycombe_gti

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2012, 12:28:16 pm »
Looks like I need to visit high Wycombe!

What reg is your vehicle?

Definitely worth talking to them and maybe some other dealers if you've got a full history. I didn't have to give them any stick - just explained I knew what the problem was likely to be, asked them to check/confirm it and come back to me with a goodwill offer.
It was an 07 plate, and this must have been last year it was fixed.

I've sold the car now, so shouldn't go pasting the full plate around publicly.

MrGringo

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2012, 05:02:33 pm »
Hi Guys,
New to the forum but been a lurker for a while and have had my GTI for about a year and half now, thought I'd chime in on this one as I had this on my GTI a couple of weeks after I got it but annoyingly the car was out of warranty.
It was the ABS Pump that needed repairing/replacing and I ended up having it taken off my car and sent to BBA-Reman for repair. Unfortunately the repair didn't work first time and the light came back on a few weeks later so sent it back again and eventually they replaced it with a different one.  I think the problem is common across the VAG group on models that use this part, but VW haven't issued a recall even though it's a safety related problem.

I read up on it at the time, and VW apparently offer some people 50% off the parts if out of warranty, but as that would have worked out about the same cost and I wanted to get the car fixed quickly without waiting for them to decide I picked up the cost myself.  Having had the problems I had anyway it would have been easier to go through VW so lesson learned.  VW however wanted an hours labour just to diagnose it themselves even though I had already had it connected to VAG-COM with the error codes, dealers eh?

I haven't watched that watchdog clip yet but will do so when I get a chance.  Glad to hear they replaced the OP's under warranty.