Make a donation

Author Topic: Home Audio... What system you guys running?  (Read 3563 times)

Offline dub singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 13
  • Snakebite Chasers...
    • Email
Home Audio... What system you guys running?
« on: April 25, 2012, 11:49:07 pm »
My decade old Jamo speakers are on their last legs..  :sad1: so.. Now In the market for a new Home Audio setup..  :smiley: Looking for some reviews / recommendations as to what AV Processor/Receiver and speakers to ideally go for.. What system do you have, how is it set-up and how does it sound..?

Generally speaking...not a big fan of Bose to be honest. Think they're highly overated!

Do like the new Kef T-series, Q- Acoustics and Tannoy range of speakers tho  :happy2:

as for AV Receivers.. i do like my Denons - AVR 1912 etc, Pioneer VSX 921etc and Yamaha units...

open to suggestion tho  :happy2:
If you're having Audio problems i feel bad for ya son... I've got 99 problems but Bass aint one!

R32UK

Re: Home Audio... What system you guys running?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:26:09 am »
Im still running a very simple system I put together at uni. Musica fidelity 500 amp sony cd player (i forget which one its been far too long) and some B&W DMS02's  :jumpmove:

I have heard many more expensive systems and this one really does cut the mustard. simple and very nice set up.

For my bedroom I have this

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/9404822/Sony-HT-IS100-Home-Theatre-System/Product.html

works well with the ps3 and means I dont have to have large speakers or a separate blu ray player. Bit of and all in one solution but I also purchased the wireless speaker kit which reduced any wires around the bedroom.

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 01:06:43 pm »
Since I still live with the 'rents, I'm limited to a bedroom-sized setup  :innocent:

Last year I purchased a set of Tannoy mercury's and a Denon receiver... can't remember exactly which one but is 40w RMS per channel, with DAB, Ipod/Mp3/Usb Input and MP3 cd capability. Sounds ace!
VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 01:27:40 pm »
B & W Zeppelin in one room for ipod
Arcam solo and Celestion Ditton 44 speakers in the bigger room
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline WolverineMAc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 02:19:19 pm »
Cambridge Audio
Mk5 Gti Edition 30, Manual, Tornado Red

Offline pipston

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 04:06:34 pm »
Generally speaking...not a big fan of Bose to be honest. Think they're highly overated!

This is so true, who else makes pissy 3 inch speakers and sells them for thousands claiming to be 'super high end audio'. if you buy BOSE you are an idiot.

as for AV Receivers.. i do like my Denons - AVR 1912 etc, Pioneer VSX 921etc and Yamaha units...

Pioneer are probably the best in the market for their price point (there are loads that are better if you're pockets are deep enough) the 921 is a very good amp, also has internet radio tuner built in

Do like the new Kef T-series, Q- Acoustics and Tannoy range of speakers tho  :happy2:

what is your budget for the whole setup as it will all come down to that? id really like a pair of Meridians but I don't have a spare 35k for a set  :grin:

If you want to do multi room audio, (same thing playing in different rooms, or different things playing in different rooms) then you cannot beat Sonos.

If you want better audio for a single room - then what's your budget?

I am a qualified sound engineer and home cinema designer so I may be able to give you a bit of a steer

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 06:33:43 pm »
I have 3 Bose systems of various sizes/kinds around the house and also a Naim with Dynaudio Focus speakers. Had a Denon before the Naim and to be honest there was not much difference in quality of sound. Yeah Sonos are meant to be good but with no direct experience i cant comment. Your Amp/Speaker combination is a personnal preference to how you like your music ie the sound to be delivered.
I like BOSE so I suppose I is E de Ot.  :stupid:
 :drinking:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 06:44:22 pm »
I have a KEF set-up in the frontroom, think its the KHT3000 or summit, with a Kef Kube 2 subwoofer and its fantastic, but then again KEF only make speakers :happy2:

Offline dub singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 13
  • Snakebite Chasers...
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 09:25:15 pm »
Sweet... Cheers for all the input guys  :happy2:

JOHN87 - Tannoy Mercury V4's.. Heard these and they're very easy on the ear  :smiley: Think you're refering to the DM38? Ive got this with some Q-Acoustics 2020i speakers... and it sounds ace  :happy2:

Havent heard the Arcam solo and Celestion Ditton 44 speaker setup yet.. but if i can find a demo room around London i will give them a try..  :happy2:

Pipston - Cheers for all the advice fella.. Ive got a budget of between £800 - £1k for the receiver/speakers - thats excluding wiring, stands/mounts etc..
It's for a single average sized Living room as all the other rooms  are cared for.. Ideally would like a 7.2 receiver as the room may be extended in the near future..

Heard some of the other Kef series speakers today - beleive it was the mentioned KHT 3000.. looks brilliant with the satelites in gloss black and does sound amazing, however it does lack SQL when turned up.. I do like my music loud so need something to keep up..
If you're having Audio problems i feel bad for ya son... I've got 99 problems but Bass aint one!

R32UK

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 09:46:59 pm »
My amp (well someone elses really)  :signLOL:

My speakers

cant find a picture of cd player unfortunatley  :sad1:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=1sucjr84l6dbsidhjofetc07v9&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 08:26:56 am »
Musical Fidelity.... nice!

R32UK

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 09:01:43 am »
Musical Fidelity.... nice!

Thanks!

Its quite an old one now but still sounds fantastic. Ultimately I decided to keep the AV stuff separate from the 'music' centre so quality is not compromised. It gets very little use now, but with the 602's is able to play any kind of music with great cliarity and depth. Once you slam on the ibiza classics though it seems to handle just as well. :jumpmove:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 09:19:06 am »
If you buy BOSE you are an idiot.

Calm down Pippy, no need to offend people with such an outlandish opinion. I've got some Bose headphone and I think they're very good. They replaced some Sennheisers and I thought they were on par with some Grado 'phones I tried. More fool me though eh.

Bose market their products to the über style conscious, so whilst they might not appeal to hardcore audiophiles they probably do appeal to people who want a system that integrates into their home decor without creating much impact. But then you probably think these kind of people are idiots too...

R32UK

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 09:23:13 am »
Have to agree with the above... not everyone wants to have a plonking big stereo in their room. Hence why mine are kept separate. e.g my bedroom has a bose stye sony surrond sound with golf ball speakers nicely hidden away. Its more than capable when watching films and provides me with wireless speak connectivity imo is needed in a bedroom.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2012, 09:30:20 am »

Cambridge Audio

....That's a name from the past! They were definitely considered as being up there with Quad back in the days when I had 'Home Audio'. They were also a brand which only the hardcore audiophiles had heard of.

Nowadays, because I'm a recording musician (and don't have a SWMBO!) my living room is a Home Studio. My music hub is a 27" iMac connected with a Mackie audio interface plus miles of cables!

Monitors are a pair of self amp'd tuned references by Event plus a Mackie 450w stage monitor, all separately controlled from a Mackie mixer. Headphones are Shure SRH 940 and Sennheiser HD 280 via an ART4 headphone amp controller.

When editing recordings it's very important to monitor the sound as neutrally as possible and so I only use the nearfield Events while editing. For listening to finished music and enjoying, I add the big Mackie and can control all EQ etc via the mixer. My setup tends to expose the quality of commercial music's production - Some is disappointing and some is excellent.

I'm a great believer in listening to the music rather than just the sound system.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!