Make a donation

Author Topic: Power drop at high revs problem  (Read 3671 times)

Offline Sonic6103

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Power drop at high revs problem
« on: April 23, 2012, 10:57:20 am »
Hi everyone,

I'm sure you'll have already had to explain/diagnose this problem at least once before but I'm using the search option on 'Tapatalk' and it's not coming up with anything.

Basically I went to accelerate hard last night in my ED30 and as it got to the top of the rev range the car seemed to die and loose power for a second or two, changed up a gear and then carried on going up the revs until the top and then the same happened again in that gear.

Anyone have any idea if I should really get it in at the garage for a diagnostics or if it sounds pretty simple that it's either one of a couple things?

My ED30 had a service at VW before I bought it around 3k miles ago, went into Awesome for Stage 1 Revo map around a month ago but it's the first time this has happened.

I've just purchased VCDS from Nigel but haven't got a clue how to use it yet though but if anyone needs me to use it to get any info then I'm happy to do so if they explain how.

Any help will be very much appreciated as I'm now having to drive my other car and leave the Golf on the drive :(

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: Power drop at high revs problem
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 12:48:30 pm »
Could be soft limp mode you're experiencing.

If there are no stored fault codes using vcds then I would do some live logging of your boost (block 115), fuel rail pressure (block 106), CF for each cylinder (block 020) and misfire counter (blocks 115 & 116).
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Sonic6103

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 05:34:02 pm »
Oh right...... That sounds pretty complicated, I'll have to have a look later on and see if there is any tutorials on doing this as I don't trust myself doing it without help. I haven't even downloaded the program yet or got the lead out of the box it came in.

Thank you very much for your help so far though :)

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 06:00:44 pm »
Isnt this a sign of the fuel requests not being met? there is a really good tutorial on live data logging on one of the other forums ill have a hunt but try google in the meantime

Offline Sonic6103

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 11:01:36 pm »
Thanks for that, I'll get on google and have a look around now I'm on my laptop :)

Offline Sonic6103

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 02:02:27 am »
Just been out in it again today to see if it still did the same or if it had randomly sorted itself out somehow.

Seems to be a lot worse! :(

I put my foot down fully n the revs dropped then sounded like it was bouncing of the rev limiter n the engine management light came on n another one around that area but didn't manage to catch what it was n the low oil symbol that comes up on the digital display started flashing. I then noticed the rev counter had stopped working even though I was driving along at around 40mph with the pedal pressed around 50%. I pulled over n turned engine off n then back on n it's gone back to being fine to drive normal again, just can't put too much effort on that pedal anymore.

Does this help at all with anyone's theory of what the problem may be? I'm still waiting on my mate who works for VW to come around n do some data logging but in the mean time is there anything simple or quick I can have a look/go at?

If not I think I might need to get on the phone to Awesome tomorrow for them to sort it

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 09:47:37 am »
Since you have the vcds cable, just plug it in and do an autoscan. It should pick up a stored fault code to help troubleshooting as your engine management light came on.

To do the scan, start vcds and you get to this screen

Click on Autoscan choose you model Golf mk5 then click start. Copy the scan result in the right pane and post it here.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 09:59:29 am by bacillus »

Offline Sonic6103

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 04:04:04 pm »
I had already done an auto scan and the only faults that came up was that the climate control pressure had exceeded the minimum amount and the other fault was the control module for the radio was incorrectly coded. Everything else was clear of codes.

Thanks everyone for your help. I rang Awesome GTi up and I told them the symptoms and model of car and straight away was told its the standard VW plugs aren't too good when you stage tuning them so for £32 I could have some plugs that ran colder or something to that effect. I went straight down there, fitted them and then tested it and it seems to have fixed the problem up to now :)

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 08:08:35 pm »
You could have gotten those colder plugs cheaper but pointless if you can't install them yourself.
http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,38720.0.html

Offline Sonic6103

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 01:22:39 am »
Ah well, thanks for posting up the link, I'll keep that link for next time I might need some. I fitted them myself and it fixed the problem it seemed but after testing it a few more times tonight I found it hadn't fixed it at all so not sure what the fault is :s

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 11:10:10 am »
Ah well, thanks for posting up the link, I'll keep that link for next time I might need some. I fitted them myself and it fixed the problem it seemed but after testing it a few more times tonight I found it hadn't fixed it at all so not sure what the fault is :s

Looks like you'll need to get your logging done asap...   

Offline Sonic6103

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 05:38:19 pm »
Yeah, I think your right. I'll update this thread once I have got my friend to do the data logging or until I've found a tutorial and built up the confidence to try it myself :)