Make a donation

Author Topic: Decorating Advice  (Read 3918 times)

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
Decorating Advice
« on: April 27, 2012, 10:50:56 pm »

I'm a decorator by trade, so If any Forum members have any related issues, problems or want some free advice, please feel free to PM me.

Ian  :happy2:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
Re: Decorating Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 10:54:39 pm »
Where are you based? Am looking for a good decorator at the moment.

Dom

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 11:04:19 pm »
Guildford Dom. 

Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Poppa Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 40
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 11:07:29 pm »
OK, I am in Bracknell - will PM you tomorrow when I have a proper Keyboard in front of me  :signLOL:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 11:22:22 pm »

Ok, no worries  :happy2:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 07:46:42 am »
What's the best way to key in Farrow & Ball Estate Emulsion?

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 09:42:33 am »
I haven't got a ladder so how do i paint my Fascia board , do they make long handled paint brushes ? :evilgrin:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2012, 10:45:27 am »
What's the best way to key in Farrow & Ball Estate Emulsion?

Take it straight back to Brewers, you've only got to look at Estate emulsion and it marks. Then go to Johstones/Leylands and get their Vinyl Matt made up into F&B equivalent shades. Hey presto, 25 quid off a gallon! If you really must use F&B, use Modern emulsion, which is wipeable and more durable, but still not in the same league as Dulux Diamond Matt. Estate Emulsion gives a special, chalky textured finish, which looks great, but can't be touched in. It's a paint-the-whole-wall-job! Areas of high traffic or houses with pets and children are not really appropriate for Estate Emulsion. Also don't use it in kitchens or bathrooms.

In terms of prep for emulsion, make sure the walls are chemically clean, any cracks have been raked out to a gully, PVA'd and filled with Toupret. When you rub down any filler, take this opportunity to remove any nicky-nacky-noos (old roller fibres or plaster spots). I go over all the walls I paint with a pair of padddles to make sure I take off any slight imperfections, and fill under a halogen light to pick up any dents that need filling. Then give the walls a semi-damp sponging to remove any dust, allow to dry and then paint.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:14:10 pm by Mk5 GTian »

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 10:47:41 am »
I haven't got a ladder so how do i paint my Fascia board , do they make long handled paint brushes ? :evilgrin:

Yes, they do actually, you'll find them in the section with the skirting ladders and the skyhooks, opposite the tartan paint.  :grin:

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 10:59:37 am »
Why do you live so far away, my whole house needs painted and I have no inclination to get started.

Like I've been told at work on occasion - I can paint but I'm no painter!
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 12:09:15 pm »
Why do you live so far away, my whole house needs painted and I have no inclination to get started.

Like I've been told at work on occasion - I can paint but I'm no painter!

It's really tough if you are doing it yourself in evenings and weekends after work. If I'm doing work  at home, I try and take time off and do it as I'd do a normal job.

Take it one room at a time from start to completion, and don't rush or skip any of the prep. Or get a local professional to help you.

Like I said at the top of this thread, if you need any advice or help in terms of what to do, just let me know.  :happy2:

Offline TANNER

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 05:12:34 pm »
Hi Ian, what is the best gloss to buy that won't yellow within months?
I decorated last year and the crown gloss I used has gone really yellow already.

Any tips as I've got the hall to gloss next, stair spindles ect, we want white with best possible finish!
Thank you.  :happy2:

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 06:02:38 pm »
I decorated last year and the crown gloss I used has gone really yellow already.

Any tips as I've got the hall to gloss next, stair spindles ect, we want white with best possible finish!

Great question, my staircase has gone yellow again and it was only done 12 months ago!
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 06:37:31 pm »
I always use satinwood, no yellowing and easier to use.
Sideways yo!

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 06:52:29 pm »

This is a tricky area at the moment. Since the new 2010 VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) regs came in, it seems that oil-based gloss is yellowing a lot quicker than previously. I suspect the VOC that was in prior to 2010 was a chemical that slowed down the yellowing. I've heard that Dulux are putting this back in, but that's just hear-say. it's not just gloss, it's affecting eggshell as well.

The problem occurs mostly in dark areas that don't get UV light. That's why you rarely see it on painted windows. You have two options really. Continue with oil-based paint, (which I do), and I'd recommend Sikkens Rubbol Gloss which is an excellent paint. I've not had problems with this in 2 years of using it in any area. Make sure you also use the Sikkens Rubbol Primer Plus, which is an excellent primer undercoat.

http://www.decoratingwarehouse.co.uk/buy/woodstains/sikkens-woodstains/sikkens-rubbol-az-plus/461

Second option is to use an acrylic or water based paint, but I avoid them like the plague, as it is really difficult to lay it off without leaving brush strokes, and is nowhere near as durable. However, it won't yellow!

Other than make sure the paint is at room temp, do your rads in the summer (as they will yellow really quickly if turned on before the paint has cured fully) and follow the instructions on the tin to the letter and you give yourself the best possible chance of a top finish with no yellowing. Give each coat a light flick off to key with an Oakey fine foam pad between coats  :happy2: