Make a donation

Author Topic: Piston failure.  (Read 4217 times)

Offline heady2010

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Piston failure.
« on: April 29, 2012, 08:42:34 pm »
Whilst driving last night under boost I had a lack of power followed by lots of smoke, rough running and a grinding noise, at first i suspected possibly a blown turbo, but carried out a compression check to find cylinder 2 = 175psi, cylinder 3 = 200psi, cylinder 4 = 100psi and no compression on cylinder 1, added oil which just leaked down straight past the piston. I have had a noisy flywheel for a little while along with a lack of power, ive been holding off on the flywheel to sort the lack of power (which was a bad move!). The flywheel is now very noisy after the faults occured, what i suspect is that the collapsed flywheel has exerted excess force on the crankshaft resulting in piston or ring wear, I will be using a bore camera to hopefully confirm the fault. If it is the case of damaged/worn piston/crank, then im thinking i will just fit a new engine due to oil circuit contamination and off the road time factor. Just wondered if there are any good engine suppliers that can be recommended?
Cheers

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Piston failure.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:08:34 pm »
Stattler's in sheffield?

never had any personal experience with them but a few members have and say they're great (frosties style!)
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 09:13:45 pm »
1 and 4 both low?  Sure it's not the head??  Valves/Cambelt?  Fuel Pump failure taking out the camshaft?
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline heady2010

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 09:24:24 pm »
1 and 4 both low?  Sure it's not the head??  Valves/Cambelt?  Fuel Pump failure taking out the camshaft?

its definitly bottom end, you can physically see the oil drain down past the piston, still the possibility of a dropped valve, hoping the bore cam will reveal something tomorrow, but the outcome is still the same, bottom end damage plus possibly top end. Im just suspecting crank due the flywheel being the worst ive ever seen one.

Offline heady2010

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 09:31:35 pm »
also what is the issue with the fuel pumps that can take out the camshaft? im aware of the fuel pump cam follower wear can cause fuel contamination into the oil. I havent yet checked the follower, but it was replaced about 5k ago and the oil doesnt smell of petrol.
cheers

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 09:35:50 pm »
Stattler's in sheffield?

never had any personal experience with them but a few members have and say they're great (frosties style!)
Statllers is out of action at the moment. In hospital in a bad way apparently

Offline vRStu

• Thank You
  • -Given: 90
  • -Receive: 159
    • Octavia-vRS Information Resource
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 09:38:41 pm »
The earlier cars with AXX engines had a two piece cam shaft IIRC which was known to fail and was subject to a TSB.  Could have been tied in with your lack of power.

Google turned this up -

This is also worth a read - http://www.goapr.com/support/fsi_fuelpump_installation.pdf
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 09:41:07 pm by vRStu »
Stu...

Quartz Grey Audi A4 3.0 TDi S-Line Quattro, 7 Speed S-Tronic, 19" Twin Spoke Alloys, Alcantara Upholstery with Silver Stitching and Heating, Sat Nav High, B & O Sound, Audi Music Interface, DAB Radio, Parking Advanced with Rear View Camera, Advanced Keyless Entry, LED Interior Light Pack, Hill Hold Assist, Heated and Electrically Folding Mirrors, Through Load.

RNS510 Video in Motion unlocking, PIN recovery & DVD Region Free available

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 09:39:38 pm »
Stattler's in sheffield?

One of them broke his arm in a car accident and has had surgery on it, but the business is still up and running.

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2012, 09:13:11 am »
Stattler's in sheffield?

One of them broke his arm in a car accident and has had surgery on it, but the business is still up and running.
Ye, broke his arm in 3 places, fractured his collar bone and ruptured his vertibrae. Had his neck operated on 3 times due to infection. In a really bad way apparently. Craig is still working but on his own and pulled out with it.

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 12:06:36 pm »
Stattler's in sheffield?

Ye, broke his arm in 3 places, fractured his collar bone and ruptured his vertibrae. Had his neck operated on 3 times due to infection. In a really bad way apparently. Craig is still working but on his own and pulled out with it.

That sounds pretty bad - hope they can repair him Ok

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 12:23:39 pm »
Stattler's in sheffield?

Had no idea he was that badly hurt  :sad1: hope he is ok and gets better soon

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline heady2010

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 09:08:32 pm »
a little update... i managed to get a bore camera to reveal a hole through the middle of piston 1 and piston 4 starting to wear away, its obv been getting very hot either from over fueling or due to lack of air, im yet to strip it but im wondering if the carbon build up on the inlet valve could cause such heat to arrise? Anyone ever heard of pistons burning out?
cheers

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 11:27:38 pm »
Is the hole about where the spark plug tip would be above piston?
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline heady2010

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 06:56:53 pm »
Yes.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 07:28:51 pm »
a little update... i managed to get a bore camera to reveal a hole through the middle of piston 1 and piston 4 starting to wear away, its obv been getting very hot either from over fueling or due to lack of air, im yet to strip it but im wondering if the carbon build up on the inlet valve could cause such heat to arrise? Anyone ever heard of pistons burning out?
cheers

Doesn't it mean it's running LEAN if it's getting hot? Tuners make maps rich to make it safe IIRC  :innocent:

Extra fuel helps to cool things down  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr