Make a donation

Author Topic: Any IT/Home computer experts able to help…..?  (Read 2062 times)

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 3
Any IT/Home computer experts able to help…..?
« on: May 01, 2012, 07:21:19 am »
Probably an easy answer, but I haven’t got a clue…… I need internet access on my laptop away from wifi, so I changed my mobile phone (Blackberry Bold 9900) tariff to one that include tethering with sufficient data limit. However, while the laptop (fairly new Sony Vaio, Window 7 64 bit) connects to the phone by wifi just fine, I have an explanation mark showing ‘No Internet’. I have tried disabling the firewall and anti virus, but still no joy. Typically my wife’s iPad connects to my phone and browses the internet just fine!

When I select Windows Network troubleshoot, I get the following message:

Windows can’t communicate with device or resource (primary DNS server)

I tried my wife’s Samsung S2 with the laptop, but that wouldn’t even connect by wifi, but again works fine with her iPad!

Anything I can try?

Thanks very much…..

Offline SteveS

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 10
Re: Any IT/Home computer experts able to help…..?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 03:38:55 pm »
You could try entering in googles dns into your network adaptor settings on ur laptop
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4

SOLD!! :(
VW GTI Edition 30 No. 0551
Revo Stage2+ (LT) | Evoms Intake, K&N Filter | VWR LSD | Milltek R32 TBE | VWR Engine Mounts | VWR Big Front & S3 Rear Brakes | VWR Springs |  VWR Shortshift | SuperPro Bushes |  Recaro Seats

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:45:39 pm »
it won't teather to the s2 unless your running the kies software, I would presume its the same for the blackberry - most desktops and laptops can only be tethered through the phone's software once installed - nokia is a good example, you install the nokia software onto the desktop of laptop and when you connect the phone via usb and connect through the software the phone then acts like a hub and offers you internet though the phone.

Try rather than putting your blackberry into wireless mode (as i presume you are tethering your laptop and phone without the cable) actually connecting the devices through the usb cable provided - or at the very least install the blackberry software.

Hope that helps 

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 03:48:31 pm »
it won't teather to the s2 unless your running the kies software, I would presume its the same for the blackberry - most desktops and laptops can only be tethered through the phone's software once installed - nokia is a good example, you install the nokia software onto the desktop of laptop and when you connect the phone via usb and connect through the software the phone then acts like a hub and offers you internet though the phone.

Try rather than putting your blackberry into wireless mode (as i presume you are tethering your laptop and phone without the cable) actually connecting the devices through the usb cable provided - or at the very least install the blackberry software.

Hope that helps 

I think he is just setting up the phone as a portable wireless hotspot, rather than "tethering" in the traditional sense of the word.

You might need to go through the connection wizard for the new wifi connection of your phone in the network settings of the laptop!  :happy2:

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 03:53:50 pm »

Hope that helps 

I think he is just setting up the phone as a portable wireless hotspot, rather than "tethering" in the traditional sense of the word.

You might need to go through the connection wizard for the new wifi connection of your phone in the network settings of the laptop!  :happy2:

somtimes this doesn't always work and its best to use an actual cable - Plus i believe with the newer phones you can tether through cable and emit wifi 

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 03:57:50 pm »
you might need something like tetherberry - or the new blackberry desktop manager  :happy2:

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 07:16:10 pm »
Guys

Thanks for all of your help......

As suggested, I opened Blackberry Desktop Manager, and connecteted the phone - and presto, all seems to work (although I did change the O2 setting from pay as you go to O2 UK - I hope this was right...?).

This is great when using my laptop with the software loaded, but it would be nice to have the wireless working so I can use it on laptops without the software...

Thanks again

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 11:13:10 pm »
Guys

Thanks for all of your help......

As suggested, I opened Blackberry Desktop Manager, and connecteted the phone - and presto, all seems to work (although I did change the O2 setting from pay as you go to O2 UK - I hope this was right...?).

This is great when using my laptop with the software loaded, but it would be nice to have the wireless working so I can use it on laptops without the software...

Thanks again

This is why people choose Blackberrys, they are so user friendly. Make things really simple.

:stupid:

I'm sure that it would be possible to have this working without having to use a USB cable on a machine with the BB Desktop Manager running.

Then again, you are talking about a company that developed a tablet computer that had no native email client by default when it was released, and required a BB mobile phone as well. Go figure.

If anyone has guessed, i hate Blackberrys, and have to support crap Curve handsets at work through our BES environment. Also, all BES environments are still totally dependant on the Blackberry servers actually working as well. Crazy. Talk about the wrong way to implement an enterprise solution.

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 09:19:46 am »
Have you tried turning it off and on again?  :laugh:
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 06:20:30 pm »
Have you tried turning it off and on again?  :laugh:

Yep, many battery pulls!

Thanks everyone for your input

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 08:20:14 am »
My brother was having problems conecting his Rasberry to his wifi network last week. All other devices connected just apart from his Rasberry. It kept throwing up a prompt to create a secure connection to the router first and the phone would generate a password to enter to the router. I think this is a Rasberry feature. He just pushed cancel to go to the next page to enter his wifi router details to connect to it. Maybe try paring the phone and laptop via bluetooth as well as wifi? Bluetooth does drain the battery quicker though if on all the time.
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline simonp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 38
  • No longer a Golfer
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 09:52:56 am »
Get a HTC. No mucking about, just put in the wifi password it gives you and away you go...

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 02:45:12 pm »
Right, I now have this sorted!

To help anyone else with this issue, to use the internet while tethering on a Blackberry, you must first set the APN settings. I am with o2, so I got the settings from them. All works fine now.....

Thanks again everyone!

Offline GE90

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2012, 10:22:06 pm »
Damn, spoke too soon. When I visited the O2 shop Guru, the same happened with his laptop i.e. connected wirelessly, but no internet. He then put these settings in, and it worked. Got hope, didn't work for me, still no internet when tethering by wifi!??