Make a donation

Author Topic: I HATE auto wipers. Can they be switched back to intermittent with VAGCOM?  (Read 12906 times)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
As the title says. I HATE auto wipers.. they also go onto super fast speed even with light rain. I just want manual intermittent wipers where I can control the frequency of the wipes.

I'm really hoping someone is going to come on and tell me its as simple as going into one of the control units on VAGCOM an de-selecting auto wipers and then they will work like normal intermittent wipers.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
why don't you just have the stalk as low as it goes, this has wipers off. Then if you want them on slow move it up 2 places, medium move it up 3 places and fast move it up 4 places?

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
why don't you just have the stalk as low as it goes, this has wipers off. Then if you want them on slow move it up 2 places, medium move it up 3 places and fast move it up 4 places?
Aren't you just describing what the OP wants, i.e. intermittent wipers? I thought the auto wipers overide this, whatever position the stalk is in? I'll have to test this today, I'm sure I'll get the opportunity!

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
Do you know how to work your auto wipers? A lot of people with them don't like them because they have no idea how to work them.

The lever on top of the stalk adjusts the sensitivity. Left to be less sensitive, right to be more. Try it and see how it goes. Sounds to me like yours is set to the right, which is very sensitive. Keep in mind that it is also speed sensitive.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
As Squeeguk (nice name, buddy!) says, it's just a matter of setting them up on the stalk to the sensitivity you prefer. I don't know if any settings can be done in VCDS.

I LOVE auto wipers - Apart from there being one less control to fiddle with while driving, it's an early indicator of rain and a wet or greasy road. Also the feature very safely deals with a sudden deluge of water on the windscreen - Flood or standing water thrown up by opposite lane vehicle, for example. I had a freaky occurrence once when driving fast at night and an isolated, sudden and extremely heavy shower hit the screen - It was literally as if someone had been stood on a bridge and dumped a big bucket of water on me. Auto wipers to the rescue.

[Robin waits for one of the forum wags to point out that it wasn't water]  :laugh:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 09:13:22 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
Do you know how to work your auto wipers? A lot of people with them don't like them because they have no idea how to work them.

The lever on top of the stalk adjusts the sensitivity. Left to be less sensitive, right to be more. Try it and see how it goes. Sounds to me like yours is set to the right, which is very sensitive. Keep in mind that it is also speed sensitive.

No ive tried it in the less sensitive position to the left and the first few wipes are less frequent and then it speeds up and stays fast even with light rain.

I just want them gone. Its my 3rd car with auto wipers and they are all rubbish IMO.

Just want them as manual intermittent like on my VW caddy van.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You

Yes... Maybe I'm not being clear. I know how the wipers work... or are SUPPOSED to work.

All the way down is off.
Nudge it down for 1 wipe (which is what I do all the time myself now to replicate intermittent mode)
Up one is auto where I can then use the dial ontop of the stalk to select sensitivity.. but this doesnt really do what I want still and you still end up getting the wipers moving fast in light rain
Up two is constant slow
Up three is constant fast.

On my VW Van WITHOUT auto wipe.. the 'Up One' setting is not auto but is intermittent instead where the dial on top of the stalk controls the frequency of the wipe on a timer basis.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
^^^^
Sounds like you need to stick your GTI engine and transmission into your VW van. It would make a nice Caddy conversion and we'd all enjoy reading your thread on it.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline john87

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 53
    • Email
On the whole, I find the auto wipers in my Golf a lot more intelligent than the ones in my last car. Perhaps you have dust/dirt in between the sensor and windscreen? Or maybe your wiper blades could do with being replaced...

VCDS Hex-USB +CAN (Central Scotland)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You

Perhaps you have dust/dirt in between the sensor and windscreen?

....Not a good advert for someone who is a professional detailer  :grin: (Cambridge Autogleam Detailing)

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
Autowipers are crap, I have had many cars with them on especially when I worked for VW and I'm talking 20 plus, so I feel I have more experience than most with these. 
Sometimes they come on when there is no rain and spread dust and grime all over your screen, sometimes they don't come on enough when it is raining and sometimes they go too fast when it is, so you spend you life adjusting the sensitivity.  Oh and don't forget when you put the car in reverse the rear one comes on too, which is great when it's raining but painful when it's not.

I agree with the op, if I could turn that function off I would

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You

Autowipers are crap, I have had many cars with them on especially when I worked for VW and I'm talking 20 plus, so I feel I have more experience than most with these. 
Sometimes they come on when there is no rain and spread dust and grime all over your screen, sometimes they don't come on enough when it is raining and sometimes they go too fast when it is, so you spend you life adjusting the sensitivity.  Oh and don't forget when you put the car in reverse the rear one comes on too, which is great when it's raining but painful when it's not.

I agree with the op, if I could turn that function off I would

....My rear wiper doesn't come on every time I reverse. My front screen wipers are always set to auto. Mk5 GTI 06-Build spec.

You only have to spend the time adjusting the sensitivity once. I really don't see what all the hating is about. You can set your wipers to ONLY operate manually if you want - Just move the stalk.

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
If you move the stalk they are always on, autowipe is not accurate enough.  Each to their own at the end of the day, but after experiencing them on many cars for the last 10+ years I just don't think they work that well.

Not sure why yours doesn't come on when you reverse, but that is the best feature about them.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
I agree that it's a bit fiddly setting them up and it can be a real test of patience but I'm glad to say that I've found my sweet spot  :happy2:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Due to the current whether I have had time to get my Auto Wipers "just right", a little it like getting your seat "just right", each to their own. Makes my chuckle when its just stopped raining, driving under trees and a single large drop hits the sensors and all hell brakes lose with the wipers.
But if you don't like them, put them in the off position and turn them on when required, that's what we used to do in the good old days. Oh and don't get me started on Auto Lights, they really are possessed!!!
 :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~