Make a donation

Author Topic: Newbie with a question...  (Read 2688 times)

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
Newbie with a question...
« on: May 06, 2012, 10:30:54 am »
Hi everyone,

Been lurking for a while now as I was looking for one of these back in January. The story goes my wife is adamant she can't drive anything bigger than a hatchback but also needs something roomy as we have a 4 month old son.

She pointed out a couple of cars which she thought would suit one of them being the BMW 1 series and second a Mk5 Golf.

We've decided to keep one car between us so I have to drive it as well. Therefore I insisted it would either be a 1 Series M Sport or a Mk5 Gti. Long story short we've tried a 130i M Sport but found there was not alot of room in the back and the ride is very firm (I did tell the mrs that as I've had a number M Sports over the years). So we've had to sell it...

Now onto the Mk5. I'm pretty familiar with the Mk4 as I've owned now less than 5 in the past. How does the Mk5 GTi compare? Does it have much firmer suspension is the main point? Is it crashy?

Unfortunately I don't really have much time to be able to go out for a test drive etc.

Would love to hear from people who have a small baby about how practical a 5 door would be?

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
Re: Newbie with a question...
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 10:37:35 am »
Ive driven loads of 4s and 5s, the 5 is a more refined car IMHO than the 4, more upto date and a lovely drive, also IMHO the Golf is a better car than a BMW, buy one and dont look back :happy2:
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2012, 11:46:02 am »
The mk5 is a better car all round than the mk4 and has more room in side,book a test drive in one will be your best bet

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 12:02:05 pm »
The Mk5 is a true allrounder and extremely practical.

BUT you better stay away from this forum or you'll end up modifying it! OR make sure wifey doesn't have any access to this site so she doesn't realise how the car has changed.  :evilgrin:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 12:41:33 pm »
When most members on here said they are not going to mod there car until they joined this forum :grin:

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 12:59:50 pm »

BUT you better stay away from this forum or you'll end up modifying it! OR make sure wifey doesn't have any access to this site so she doesn't realise how the car has changed.  :evilgrin:

Very true, my problem is my OH has a 2007 golf the same as mine so she does notice the changes, altho having said that she didnt notice when i added the GTI boot spoiler, i had it fitted on the friday, the saturday we went to a VW show and she said mine would look better with a spoiler, so i said you must be blind, ive got one fitted already, she still doesnt know it was only fitted the day before  :signLOL:

must remember to log out just in case she reads this lol
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 07:11:27 pm »
Thanks guys. Test drive a 08 DSG this morning and although the suspension is firm its not as firm as the 1 series.

Was very pleasantly surprised by the DSG too. Salesman told me the mpg is only about 1 mpg different to the manual- is that right?

Also was pleasantly surprised by the amount of room. Including the boot.

Now to find a lower mileage 5 door in my budget  :happy2:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 11:32:56 pm »
Good luck with your search for a car fella. GTI or ED30?
We will get it modified for you in no time dont you worry! Just got an ITG MAXOGEN (fitting next week) and still have not figured out how I am going to explain to my wife what the "noise" is without telling her I have been spending again!!!
  :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 12:44:08 am »
First day she goes out in it she is gonna come home saying she must have run over Darth Vader  :sick:  :signLOL:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2012, 08:41:24 am »
First day she goes out in it she is gonna come home saying she must have run over Darth Vader  :sick:  :signLOL:
:signLOL: I know. Apart from the obvious reason for using an Induction kit the main reason I went for ITG is the so called "Darth Vader" sound, love it!!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2012, 10:12:05 am »
The first time my 20yo daughter (who isn't particularly into cars but likes the BMW Mini) heard my TWINtake on throttle lift-off she asked "What's that noise, dad?"

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2012, 11:36:27 am »
The first time my 20yo daughter (who isn't particularly into cars but likes the BMW Mini) heard my TWINtake on throttle lift-off she asked "What's that noise, dad?"

My daughters will just shrug and raise their eyes to heaven (expected), their boyfriends will be drooling (once again, expected) ,my friends will show "mild" interest (secretly wishing they had an induction kit in thier lives and on their cars but don't have so as not to upset SWMBO), my recently retired dad will call me a plonker and continue talking about golf and DIY (expected and anticipated) BUT my wife...........????????

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2012, 12:10:17 pm »
Sadly my budget won’t stretch to an Ed30 but glad I liked the DSG as now I have more options.

Would love leathers and Xenons but again may have to forego given my budget. Am a big fan of OEM+ so these may be the mods…

Naturally I’m keeping my eye out in the usual places but would appreciate any tips on where else to look.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2012, 01:04:47 pm »
^^^^
If you go for a DSG make sure that the DSG oil changes have been done when they should have been.

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 06:26:53 pm »

OR take her out to dinner a lot and when she's in a really good mood and you're in the good books, sell the 'benefits' of each proposed modification!

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.