Make a donation

Author Topic: Can Gateway swap How?  (Read 27127 times)

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
Can Gateway swap How?
« on: May 07, 2012, 01:16:41 pm »
Right could be to do with lack of sleep/having blond 5 minutes

gateways ive swapped out before have been above the clutch pedal (easy) just went to swap mine (04 plate but 2005 model year) and i cant see it, ive read it could be above the throttle pedal but if so it must be behind the CECM, can anyone confirm its location please
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline vRS Carl

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
Re: Can Gateway swap How?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2012, 01:17:37 pm »
Have you looked behind the Ashtray? Some are behind that.

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 01:36:51 pm »
Mine was behind the CECM, remove the fold down tray, unclip the carrier and pull forward. The gateway should be behind there. Shouldn't take more than 5 to 10 minutes. Good luck.

Otherwise as Carl mentioned, behind the ash tray.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 01:43:56 pm »
Have you looked behind the Ashtray? Some are behind that.

I took the trim down from above the ashtray but it wasnt there, will drop the CECM down and have a look

thank you both  :happy2:
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline jason_rmh

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 69
  • -Receive: 81
Re: Re: Can Gateway swap How?
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 06:31:55 pm »
Mine is a 56 plate and the module was behind the dash on drivers side, look up from the pedals.
Real awkward to get to!

VCDS (Preston, Lancashire)

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 03:17:04 am »
Its not above it phil it's below the ashtray you'll need to take it out and you'll see it tucked at the back.

Offline Wozbit

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 04:32:48 pm »
I found mine today on my 05 plate. It's above the clutch pedal but it's way up inside. I only noticed it because of the red plug that goes into it.

First off this is a right pain the the backside, you have to get in upside down so put you head in the foot well and there is not much room to access it as the clutch pedal gets in the way. Then I noticed that vw had put a cable tie around it so that also needs to be cut off. It then pops out.

After 2 hours and ripped hands due to all the metal in the I got it out and replaced it. Appart from removing the dash this was the only way to access it. My new one just sits above the clutch pedal incase I need to access it again.

Hope this helps you find yours.

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 04:38:57 pm »
Disconnect the NEGATIVE (Black) terminal on the battery
Failure to do this will result in Lots faults stored

The Gateway can be 3 possible locations

1. Behind the ashtray (MY2004)
2. Above The clutch Pedal (MY2005 & MY2006)
3. Behind the Relay carrier plate (MY2007 - Current)

behind the Ashtray

Pull on Gearknob Gaitor, You will see 2 T20 Torxs screws, remove these and lift
Unplug the ESP and 12v
Look for a RED PLUG at the back
Unplug it and remove, nip the lugs on the back and pull towards you

Above The clutch Pedal

Undo the 2x Torx screws of the drivers footwell trim and lower it down.
The Cubby bin under the light switch, nip the sides in and pull it towards the drivers seat. You will see a Torx screw that holds the lower duct pipes in place, remove the screw and pull the ducting out.
The gateway will be up and look for the RED Plug
Unplug it
Prise the Plastic holder away from the metal frame with a slotted screwdriver
and remove it with the gateway in place.
Change the gateway over and reset the plastic rivet which held the holder in place.
And refit it

Behind the Relay carrier

Remove the Cubby bin under the light switch
Unclip the relay carrier and move to one side
Look at the back for the RED PLUG / some have a BLUE plug on a skoda
Unplug it and lift the gateway out
refit new gateway

http://www.r32oc.com/tutorials-guides/30166-canbus-gateway-location-removal.html
http://www.my-gti.com/2296/can-bus-gateway-removing-installing-and-upgrading-volkswagen-golf
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 08:44:51 pm by Eddie-NL »
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline Wozbit

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 08:53:05 pm »
Eddie-nl,

Can you programme and old canbus or does if have to be a new one ?

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 09:30:59 pm »
You can re-program your old can bus with vcds...
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 09:45:00 pm »
Eddie-nl,

Can you programme and old canbus or does if have to be a new one ?

the gateway can be coded as many times as you like
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline Wozbit

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 09:58:24 pm »
So my poor old canbus that worked with my RCD300 can be updated to use my RCD310 without battery drain, also would this clear my airbag fault ?

Might be a silly question

Offline olsen-72

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 21
  • Redditch
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 10:47:04 pm »
So my poor old canbus that worked with my RCD300 can be updated to use my RCD310 without battery drain, also would this clear my airbag fault ?

Might be a silly question

No. It cannot. Coding mean change some "settings" on Canbus. Update isnt possible. If You have/ will have drain issue You need a different Canbus to prevent it.
STAGING/NEEDLE SWEEP ON ALL WHITE CLOCKS
LIT NEEDLESS, MILES TO EMPTY
GENUINE CAN GATEWAY - SUPPLY AND FIT
CRUISE CONTROL -  SUPPLY AND FIT ALL VW's
CLOCKS CODING - VW SEAT SKODA UP TO 2014
SCIROCCO CLOCKS CONVERSION

Offline MrDo

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 10:28:56 am »
Removed old the canbus gateway and installed a new one supplied super fast by Eddie-NL  :drinking:

Here's a guide (but Eddie was to the point in his description)

My UK GTI is an 06 plate, MY07. I read the job would be a total nightmare. I was ready with pliers to unclip the canbus gateway. Not needed in the end. Not a nightmare, just bloody awkward and tight access.

I found having a range of big and small (pen sized) torches to hand very helpful. Also a mat to put on the garage floor as you will be on the floor on your knees /lying on the floor with just your stomach on the footwell looking upwards into the spec that's behind the drivers storage compartment to the right hand side of a UK steering wheel. So not a job to do in the wet if you park outside.

1) note installed items on current canbus gateway using VCDS. Note the names of items installed, NOT the numbers (these don't match on the new canbus) or take a scrolling screen grab using free software like DuckCapture (free windows software)

2) disconnect battery black negative terminal.

3) undo 2x T20 screws that hold the trim panel above pedals (to allow torches to shine and light you way)

4) remove drivers storage compartment by pressing in on both sides when its opens and then pull down, after that it unclips at the bottom

5) look for red plug approx 20mm wide on top of black box (box is the canbus gateway that you want to get to)

6) black frame that holds the grey block (relay) that is in the way unclips and can be moved to the right hand side. You don't need to unplug any relays.

7) here's where I thought I'd need pliers, but didn't need any tools. Reach in with one hand and gently but firmly pull the canbus gateway upwards. It just slots and unclips out. This allows you to bring it towards you, rotate it so you can unclip the red plug from the canbus (pressure clip so I carefully used a screwdriver to press in the clip). You have removed the out canbus gateway. Plug in your new canbus gateway and slot it back, the reverse of the removal. You can see it slot down in approx 20mm.

8.) put relays holder and trim back in place (or you could do this after step 10 which allow you to check the canbus is connected correctly)

9) reconnect battery

10) connect VCDS and check canbus is installed, and added installed items you noted in step one.

11) I had a warning light about my steering angle adjustment, but this disappeared after I had driven and steered for 15 seconds. Car threw an error about the rear fog light  and reverse light, but after coding to RHD all errors disappeared and all working fine:)

You now have a new canbus and can install newer radios etc without battery drain  :happy2:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 01:51:55 am by MrDo »

Offline adamvaughan

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2022, 09:03:58 pm »
Realise this is reviving an old post but this was super helpful, thank. I just swapped mine to fit an RCD 330 and had the same issue with steering wheel light (and ESP and TPMS) but all went of after driving for a few seconds. I have, however, now got a sunroof that doesn't work at all, but will post a separate thread about that.