Make a donation

Author Topic: Where do they find these people!  (Read 999 times)

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Where do they find these people!
« on: May 08, 2012, 06:29:31 pm »
Went to the Stealers today, booked the ED30 in for it's 4 year Cambelt and Water Pump change and Full service, so far all ok with no sign of discord (not a bad price either).

Anyway while there I asked them as they were doing this work (as they will have the car in the workshop) can they please change the Diverter Valve for new Revision D, new Coil Packs, change the Fuel Filter and also PCV and it's gasket. Only had my car for 3 months, not sure on condition of these parts and as they have all "appear" to have been on the car for 4 years so thought I'd have them changed before I tinker with the power!

(I would like to add a caveat at this point and state and it's only because of the peeps on here and the threads I have read that I even thought to have these parts changed to some new minty fresh ones). Changing them all might be overkill but 4 years and 58k is a long time IMHO.

My first problem was when the service chap said that he had never heard of a Diverter Valve (a little worrying) and perhaps I was "meaning" something else, lord help me!!!
 He even went to get a Mech' who just looked at him with disbelieve as well. Then came a 5 minute conversation on why he thinks my fuel filter does not need replacing and shouldn't be replaced, once again, lord help me!!
 His stance was that if it's not broken, they don't like to replace the part, my point is that it's my car so please, pretty please can I have this done. In the end, he agreed.

Is it me, am I missing something!! But seriously WHERE DO THEY FIND THESE PEOPLE!!!!!

And breathe..............
 :happy2:

« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 06:33:08 pm by MC71 »

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Beddie

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 76
    • Email
Re: Where do they find these people!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 07:20:10 pm »
To be fair we have service advisors who have absolutely no product knowledge pertaining to the stuff we manufacture and service as the worlds largest lift company  :mad:
As for the fuel filter, again I'm not really surprised as its not listed on any service schedule as a serviceable item on the tfsi engine iirc...

Tornado Red ED30 : Number 1644 - Gone

Carbon Grey Edition 35 - Here

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 07:35:19 pm »
I just smile at them and tell them I'm paying for it so I want it done.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 07:36:35 pm »
Out of interest, how much is a fuel filter change at a main dealer?

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 07:50:10 pm »
Out of interest, how much is a fuel filter change at a main dealer?

£20 part, as for fitting, not sure as they just gave me a final price for all the work being done. Can't be a lot as a fair few peeps on here seem to have changed theirs in no time what so ever. I on the other hand have no idea what I'm doing so will happily leave it to the professionals (loosely termed)

As for the fuel filter, again I'm not really surprised as its not listed on any service schedule as a serviceable item on the tfsi engine iirc...

Have heard that but it's obviously meant to be changed because of were it is on the car ie easily accessible. May well be wrong in this assumption?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2012, 07:54:38 pm by MC71 »

Offline Phil Miller

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 86
  • -Receive: 34
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 08:12:07 pm »
The worrying thing is they dont know what your talking about but your still gonna let them change your belt and pump aswell as fit parts the mechanic doesnt know what it is :stupid: i wouldnt let them near my car :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:
2004 Golf 5dr TDI, 140 remap, GTI front bumper, skirts, highline cluster, 18in wheels, jamax coilovers, winter pack
WANTED HIGHLINE CCM AND CECM PLEASE PM ME IF YOU CAN HELP

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 08:52:53 pm »
The worrying thing is they dont know what your talking about but your still gonna let them change your belt and pump aswell as fit parts the mechanic doesnt know what it is :stupid: i wouldnt let them near my car :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

Mechanic was very helpful and knew what i was after and gave me confidence otherwise yes I would have taken my car somewhere else. I think it was the muppet behind the service desk that was way over his head. I understand they have many different cars/models  and there can be nothing worse than a customer who knows "EXCATELY" what they want but its their job!  My wife told me off for being to arsey with him!! That's me told.

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2012, 08:55:45 pm »
They may not know the part as a diverter valve as it is a cut-off valve in ETKA and that is probably what they refer to it as. Remember that they see hundreds of cars with various engines etc and don't necessarily have the in depth knowledge/interest for the 2.0TFSi as people do on here.

As stealth has already said i just tell them i want it doing as i'm paying for it.

In fairness to them they could have gone the other way and given you a list as long as your arm of what "needed" replacing.

Offline gtlee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 09:13:55 pm »
I know about your pain about the stealers mainly the service personel at the front desk,funny today I called my supplying stealer to quote on a 4th year service which includes the;

major service,cambelt and waterpump,MOT for a whopping £718 squids.

If I had to do the DSG service (replaced mechatronics at 12000miles) it would of been a remortage luckily!!! :sick:
Golf V 5DR DSG GT Sport,,Xenons,Full leather,18'Charlestons,Lux pack,storage pack,folding mirrors,front armrest, retrofited--mk5 gti  grilles,fog lamps grilles,GTi rear bumper,coloured coded sideskirts, VIM RNS-510 C,MK6 MFSW with paddles,GTi DSG gear lever,Cruise control,Highline.Rain sensor with window auto closure,TPMS.7P6 Bluetooth.

Mods to come: RVC, and.................