Make a donation

Author Topic: 5 Dr more expensive/ hold value better than 3Dr?  (Read 12377 times)

Offline laserblue999

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Re: 5 Dr more expensive/ hold value better than 3Dr?
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 10:04:05 am »
Very true! 5dr FTW if you have friends!!
'05 GTI - laser blue, 5dr, DSG, blue glass, heated leather, highline, cruise, sat nav, 10 speaker stereo,MFSW, xenons, 18" Monza, puddle lights, Ipod, retractable mirrors, factory tints, winter/summer mats, bootmat, luggage net, mudflaps, tailored blinds, x-tec plate leds - always looking for more OEM options.......pretending the pikey paddles are OEM+!!

Offline RobboGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 10:24:02 am »
I had a 5door 1 series and now have a 5 door gti. Sooooooo much more spacious! Certainly easier getting in the car rather than "climbing" in

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 10:24:55 am »

Very true! 5dr FTW if you have friends!!

....Or daughter with jailbait friends!

Oh, hang on, they are no longer jailbait age  :evilgrin:

^ Still far too young for me though  :sad1:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Sonic6103

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2012, 11:22:42 am »
I agree it's a pain if you are going to be having any adults or teenagers getting in and out of the back of a 3dr.

I have a 3dr ED30 and have no problem getting my 2 year old son in the car seat in the back of the car. I am disabled with only one leg and if I can find it easily enough then I'm sure most other people will do too. Like it was said before too, you can get inside the car whilst strapping them in so it's great on those rainy days.

I do think it's best though if you go with what you feel you need as you'll only regret it later but just don't think anyone will find it difficult to put babies/toddlers in the back of a 3dr Mk5.

Karl

Offline mano

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2012, 11:28:19 am »
3 doors are loads better IMO. the 5 doors look dog awfull IMO, just hate it when u see a nice mk5 then realise its a 5 door.

my 3 door has loads of space, loads and loads of room in the back, im 6"3 and loads of room even with seat back. also loads of room for shagging in the back.

If you want a 5 door buy a mondeo. ;)

plus like to add, that as the driver its drivers rules for passenger seat to be the one to let people in and out. so never need to worry

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 11:29:39 am »
I have three kids, 3,4 and 10, and I agree with both sides of the argument, but for my wife, the 5 door works so much better. Before I ordered her the GTD 5 door, I was offered a delivery mileage 12 plate R in white, but 3 door, it was a great price, but she said no - shame it wasn't a five door.  Oh well it's not me that has to contend with children on the school run after all!  And at weekends we spend most of the time in my Sportline kombi  :laugh:

In fact my list of MKV's go like this;

2006 GTI 3 door
2006 R32 3 door
2008 Ed30 5 door
2008 GT Sport 5 door
2007 Ed30 5 door
Incoming GTD 5 door

I'm only taking from experience :happy2:
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 11:32:39 am by Oli »
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 11:41:04 am »
This argument/point of view comes around again and again......

My 997 would look wrong as a five door, as my RS4 avant would have looked wrong as a 3 door :laugh:

The MKV Golf looks great as a 3 or 5 door, one of the few cars that works in both door configurations :happy2:
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 11:53:00 am »
for me the GTI has always looked slightly better in 3 door form since the days of the mk2, on the mk5/6 the curve on the three door window is what gives it the slight edge  :popcorn soda:

have the best of both worlds as the Pirelli is a more door as it needed to tick the practicality box and that meant i could have a 3 door Ed35 :wink:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 12:20:53 pm »
Was the first time at weekend that kids were in my car as my mates Kids wanted me to take them to the cinema (5 and 7), so in went the child seats, having Isofix and 5 doors meant it was very easy and they enjoyed the film too  :happy2:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2012, 12:24:57 pm »
Thanks all for your input. I know it’s an age old question but I wasn’t asking which to go for, just wanted opinions on whether 5 doors command more money.

I’m from the ‘look nice in 3 and 5 door’ camp and have in fact just yesterday purchased a Red 5 Door. Once owner from new and with Leather so am pretty happy.

I am also going from 1 Series (M Sport 5 door) to Mk5 Gti and already pleasantly surprised by how much more room it has...

Will get pics up at some point

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2012, 12:35:21 pm »
3 doors are loads better IMO. the 5 doors look dog awfull IMO, just hate it when u see a nice mk5 then realise its a 5 door.

my 3 door has loads of space, loads and loads of room in the back, im 6"3 and loads of room even with seat back. also loads of room for shagging in the back.

plus like to add, that as the driver its drivers rules for passenger seat to be the one to let people in and out. so never need to worry

Don't we have a wanker smiley?

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2012, 12:36:47 pm »
Thanks all for your input. I know it’s an age old question but I wasn’t asking which to go for, just wanted opinions on whether 5 doors command more money.

I’m from the ‘look nice in 3 and 5 door’ camp and have in fact just yesterday purchased a Red 5 Door. Once owner from new and with Leather so am pretty happy.

I am also going from 1 Series (M Sport 5 door) to Mk5 Gti and already pleasantly surprised by how much more room it has...

Will get pics up at some point

I like both 3 and 5dr (had both 3 and 5 dr GTi before), 3dr more sporty looking and 5dr more practical.

5dr hold their money more I think, just compare the prices for 3 (plenty around) a 5dr.

MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2012, 12:39:56 pm »

:notworthy:  :signLOL:

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 12:42:44 pm »

:notworthy:  :signLOL:

:congrats:
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant

Offline ub7rm

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 43
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 12:47:58 pm »
I don't really understand the point of 3 door golfs and the like.  If you've bought a golf then an element of practicality has to be one of the criteria you had in choosing the car, otherwise you'd have bought a coupe / proper two seater.  If you did buy the golf with the intention of carting things / people around why not make your life easier with the extra doors?

Plus you need shed loads of space around you to actually be able to get in and out with the size of the doors.

In fairness, with the child seat argument I would agree its not really anymore difficult with a three door as you can climb in.  But we've traded in my wifes 3 door polo for a 5 door because it just made sense.
Sepang Blue S4 BE Avant