Make a donation

Author Topic: All sales.  (Read 3598 times)

Offline dajonic

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 6
All sales.
« on: March 17, 2012, 02:32:29 am »
On another forum i'm a member off, if you're buying something from another member it's required to at first instance express an interest through the 'for sale' link. Ask any questions etc and then if you decide to go ahead with the buy you can then go to Pm to exchange private details such as bank accounts and addresses.

I think this would be a good idea as everything becomes transparent and leaves little room for any underhanded business to go on.

Does this make sense to anyone?

Reason being for this request as just had a bad experience with 2 people trying to buy my Brakes and would like to cut this behaviour down to a minimum. Ended up loosing a sale because the buyer let slip what was going on and I refused to sell. Que barrage of abuse because I called him a dodgy fcuker and no sale.

Any thoughts, suggestions, pitfalls to this?

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: All sales.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 07:07:00 am »
There's no difference between buying on here and buying off a dodgy geezer in a dark alley. Ditto for selling. All the "transparency" in the world isn't going to help you.

You can dictate that all questions and enquiries mut be via the thread and then when agreed only exchange details through PMs if you wish - it is your sale thread after all. Remember, people may still change their minds/pull out unless you've had an exchange of goods.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 09:29:43 am »
bank accounts and addresses.

you're brave, personally Id stick to paypal only - a lot less risk!! I get your point though, would be nice if there was a authentication feature to confirm who you are but sadly that's not the case. I guess just keep a eye on whoever's selling or buying through their previous posts (i.e how active they are, what they are like, are the genuinely keen or just spam posting to get to pm level etc)

:popcornsoda:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2012, 10:04:06 am »
There's not much issue in giving bank account details - certainly no different that giving someone a cheque (bears your name, account no and sort code).

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 10:09:40 am »
personal opinions - I for one don't feel comfortable giving a complete stranger my bank details and that's just the way it is, I will always use pay pal when its a valid option *shrugs*

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 10:10:56 am »
which totally means I just contradicted my self as dajonic feels comfortable dealing with bank accounts which is his opinion, sorrryyyy!  :fighting2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 10:13:43 am »
Paypal has its own issues - if sent as a gift, there's no protection or comeback. If sent as payment and there's no tracking number or proof of delivery, the buyer can claim they haven't received it and get their money back (and keep the goods).

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 10:26:10 am »
Oh yeah, don't get me wrong theres problems with both worlds. the gift thing was covered in a previous post I believe by VC. Its just a risk you have to take when buying from the forum  :smiley:

Offline boxxer1973

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2012, 05:30:51 pm »
Maybe a rate section where you can add people who sell stuff so users can look in there for feedback.
Mk5 golf Gti REVO. stg2+
Milltek | Auto tech | White line | Forge | REVO | KW | Quaife | helix clutch |

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2012, 05:36:02 pm »

On another forum i'm a member off, if you're buying something from another member it's required to at first instance express an interest through the 'for sale' link. Ask any questions etc and then if you decide to go ahead with the buy you can then go to Pm to exchange private details such as bank accounts and addresses.

I think this would be a good idea as everything becomes transparent and leaves little room for any underhanded business to go on.

....I couldn't agree more. Keep it all transparent. Trouble is though that you can't control PM approaches but as a matter of principle I only go to PM at a stage when payment details are soon to be exchanged.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline wilmott1980

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 04:25:19 pm »
Maybe a rate section where you can add people who sell stuff so users can look in there for feedback.

I use another forum which uses a feedback scheme and it actually works really well. It's similar to eBay's feedback as both the buyer and seller can leave information about their experiences.

h4rdy

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 05:26:18 pm »
Unless I have had long(ish) involvement with a seller I just don't take the risk anymore.

I mean in general on here for example I have had chats with RR within a topic.

For example, and if he reads this its not personal, I recently turned down an item after showing interest because 1, I had never ever seen or spoke to him/her and 2, his post count was low. I was only going to save £15 so I decided it wasn't worth it.

I didn't realise until after I had shown interest.

That goes for buyers too.

Its like buying on ebay with zero protection.

I also think posting once you have sold/bought something where and when you are going to meet as potentially your meeting someone who is going to beat you up and steal your cash/parts/car etc etc........! I know the person could have been lying about his/her identity but at least there is an IP address trail.

Ifti

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 07:16:15 pm »
As a basic rule only buy or sell to those who have a decent post count and are as trustworthy as they can be on a forum. If you don't recognise someone, better to be safe then sorry.
Also, if you have any doubt, use PayPal - not gift - as this way you at least have some protection.