Make a donation

Author Topic: Stating Sold Prices....Trading Rules?....  (Read 7405 times)

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Stating Sold Prices....
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 01:15:19 pm »
^^^^
Thank You, Moz  :drinking:

I don't know why I didn't succeed in finding via Google - Might be due to my Google Search prefs.

Possibly, for prices, as above I always Ebay combined with what I paid for it and as said length of time and condition of the item.

Google searches to many parameters sometimes, so in this case, I just used Ebay and opted the Advanced search to include finished items, that way I can see what they went for.

Good luck in the sale!

Offline mvb12

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 01:41:09 pm »
The price someone has agreed to sale an item will not reflect market value.

Slow Joe claimed he recently sold his mk5 GTI (on a 56 plate iirc) for 10.5K? Would you deem that as market value?

I think when selling, the seller sales/lists for the price he wants plus a % for the souq style haggle  :signLOL:

Final price agreed is generally what the seller is willing to accept for the goods.

I can see both points of the arguement but final price disclosure "for me" should not be used as a benchmark.

VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 02:22:09 pm »
Hey guys - I think I was wrong to have made this suggestion and I have learned from your posts in response  :drinking:

In my eagerness to try and work out some selling prices which I felt were fair to both buyer and seller (myself) I was keen to see what the items tended to sell for and was thwarted in my attempt to establish that.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 02:27:46 pm »
Hey guys - I think I was wrong to have made this suggestion and I have learned from your posts in response  :drinking:

In my eagerness to try and work out some selling prices which I felt were fair to both buyer and seller (myself) I was keen to see what the items tended to sell for and was thwarted in my attempt to establish that.

Like I said I dont think it was a bad idea. Just impossible to police.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 02:30:40 pm »

....I think you are the only guy (so far) who doesn't think it's not such a good idea.  :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 02:42:35 pm »

....I think you are the only guy (so far) who doesn't think it's not such a good idea.  :happy2:

I dont think its a bad idea, but like others have said impossible to police, seller could sell for £50 and state £75 as sold price if he wanted  :grin:

Regards Fee-pay I sell on there regularly and the fees that they charge and paypal charge are simply added to my selling price, if people are stupid enough to buy from Ebay and pay them 15% more rather than buy at 15% less from a direct website who am I to stop them (More money than sense), for me Ebay is a way of introducing new buyers to our website, once they bought once they get told about the website and the price difference and most buy from there instead (you always get some idiots who prefer to buy from ebay as they think Ebay offer them "Protection" which they dont, its only paypal that do that and our website only accepts paypal anyway!!

Regarding sales on forums, I find its exactly the opposite as someone else stated. I list things for a fair price and they dont sell on forums (not meaning this forum as not sold on here before), then you get sick of either no offers or people low-balling you so you stick it on Ebay for 15-20% more and it sells within a few days  :happy2:.

Had an item for sale on 2 forums for 2 weeks at £55 shipped and had several offers of £30-35 shipped which I was not going to entertain, so after 2 weeks stuck it on Ebay at £75 shipped and it sold within 6 hours  :signLOL:

Yes Ebay/paypal charge a lot (15% in total unless you have a 25% discount for volume sales) but they have Ten's of Millions of buyers rather than a few thousand members  :happy2:

I still offer stuff for sale on forums on the off chance, but they account for about 0.5%
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 02:45:31 pm by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 02:50:13 pm »
If I can, I much prefer to sell on here than I would on The Devil's Junkyard of feeBay - I like to feel that goods are going onto cars which are appreciated and that it contributes (not financially) to the benefit of members of this community.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2012, 04:12:29 pm »
think the idea was a good one but sellers and buyers like myself want to keep the transaction private :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2012, 04:58:03 pm »
^^^^
I guess that I'm someone who favours more transparency. I don't feel the need for transaction privacy in the context of buying and selling car stuff. But, as ever, ETTO  :happy2:

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 09:01:53 pm »
i think i is fairly obvious on this forum something is priced too high as it simply does not sell very quickly

for me going down the road of but so and so sold his for XX blah blah blah is just a backward step given circumstances come into the sale

for me the price agreed for items remains the business of the seller and purchaser

h4rdy

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 03:50:45 am »
I can see both sides of the story if I am honest.

1) Yes its nobodys business but the seller and buyer.
2) But in my early days on here I nearly bought an S3 Intercooler off a member which was more expensive than walking into Audi and buying it. He was basically seeing  a noob and pricing accordingly. When I tried to warn people I just got lambasted by a Mod.

So yes point 2 makes it seem valid but point 1 overules point 2!

I can see where your coming from RR but its a private transaction.

I won't be selling anything on here anymore, if I can help it, as one particular member took it upon himself to arrange the purchase of my wheels via PM then offer me £150 less on the listing, twice! He got reported by me and other members but I suspect it will carry on.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 08:43:28 am »

I won't be selling anything on here anymore, if I can help it, as one particular member took it upon himself to arrange the purchase of my wheels via PM then offer me £150 less on the listing, twice! He got reported by me and other members but I suspect it will carry on.

....Hindsight is an exact science but I think I would have refused his offers by PM and told him to make his offers publicly in your sale thread. I wouldn't let one or two members spoil it for you by not selling anything in future on this forum - Just do your own policing as far as possible.

People trying to 'negotiate' a purchase by PM without any public registration of serious interest in the seller's forum thread is something which I am strongly against - It's very underhand and furthermore completely undermines the fair principle of 'first dibs'. It's no better than a blind auction, IMO. However, such behaviour is virtually impossible to police unless forum Admin/Mods view all our PM's. There is a case for the PM feature to be switched off (if possible) and a forum section opened specifically for open messaging - Could be interesting but is anyone brave enough to instigate it, on first consideration it sounds unpopular but we would quickly get used to it. It ain't gonna happen though!

As this forum has increased its membership it can't help but include a wider variety of characters of people. Inevitably, some are less honest or open than others.

One thing that niggles me is why a purchasing transaction should be thought of as so strictly private by many folks on here - What have folks got to hide? This contradicts some of the same folks saying that purchase details should be declared in forum Reviews.

Enough said - We are all human and that's how most humans behave.

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 09:17:01 am »
You want to try selling on avforums! They are much bigger than this forum but I think we could learn something from them in regards to a classified section. You cannot pm someone about an item until a sale price is agreed on the thread for all to see, this is so future sales can reflect this price and to increase security. You cannot sell and item anywhere else at the same time as avforums. There are loads of other rules too that I can't be bothered typing out on my iPhone but their classifieds run very smoothly! So much public info that PayPal refunded 3people who paid a a member for some items he never shipped, they paid via gift however! So due to the structure of the sale they were very well protected

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 09:21:50 am »

You want to try selling on avforums! They are much bigger than this forum but I think we could learn something from them in regards to a classified section. You cannot pm someone about an item until a sale price is agreed on the thread for all to see, this is so future sales can reflect this price and to increase security. You cannot sell and item anywhere else at the same time as avforums. There are loads of other rules too that I can't be bothered typing out on my iPhone but their classifieds run very smoothly! So much public info that PayPal refunded 3people who paid a a member for some items he never shipped, they paid via gift however! So due to the structure of the sale they were very well protected

....Now THAT is exactly what I'm talking about! [said in a Seb Vettel voice]

But how do they police it?

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 09:36:47 am »
well for a start(because they are larger) they have more users with a high post count, people value their ability to use the forum. Its not quite like a car forum as once you sell the golf your next car might not be a golf, home av if a life time commitment!  :grin: So once you post up an item (which has to follow a specific format) the thread is then monitored by mods, so if you suddenly say sold you would be asked why? and given an infraction (a points system that doesn't = prizes but a ban) you cant compare prices to ebay (think this is quite good, this is because an item sold by a enthusiast is more likely to be in better condition + its not a auction) I personally dont think there is a problem with it, someone says a want £1000 for this projector and on the tread you offer him £800, he says no but we can meet in the middle at £900, if you then say no and walk away the £900 is now the new asking price for the projector.

Give me a moment i will go copy and paste their rules.