Make a donation

Author Topic: Stating Sold Prices....Trading Rules?....  (Read 7667 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Stating Sold Prices....Trading Rules?....
« on: May 14, 2012, 10:56:01 am »
I'd like to suggest that sellers are obliged to post the price which their advertised goods finally sold for.

The reason for this suggestion is that without such information it can become extremely difficult to decide a fair price for another sale of the same goods. It's not such a problem if the goods were originally bought separately but for OEM items which came with the car it can be tricky.

Example: There are quite a few OEM GTI exhaust back boxes in the Wanted section but all people do is go straight into PM's and it's not consequently known how much an item sold for and hence what a fair asking price would be. I usually ask 50% of the original price but subject to condition, but this isn't always a fair market price.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 09:54:41 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Stating Sold Prices....
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 12:26:59 pm »
I don't agree to be honest.

One persons desperateness shouldn't be used as a bench mark for a value. I've bought items, after bartering, and I've bought items I thought priced to high (desperation for the product)

Neither of these reflected the true value.

What is a true value? It's what a buyer is willing to pay, in terms of forum selling anyway.

Someone has something for sale, and they advertise it at a price they'd like for the item. People accept the price as fair and purchase, or they come with a counter offer to either be cheeky or to negotiate a better price for the buyer, if the seller is happy they accept. That value shouldn't now be taken as an items value, as it's clearly not.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 12:35:16 pm »
Nah, I don't agree at all. Why should it be anyone else's business?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 12:35:52 pm »
^^^^
I don't disagree with you, Moz.

The price an item sells for is a reflection of its value in the marketplace at that time. In other words, it's true worth is what someone pays for it - it's always been that way.

All I'm suggesting is a way in which this forum can enhance its value as a resource by having more public information about what items sell for. And, of course, a way in which bods like me can take the guesswork out of arriving at a selling price which is fair for both seller and buyer. Personally, I don't like bartering - This isn't the Souq in Marrakesh or Jerusalem etc.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 12:38:55 pm »

....It's not a matter of wanting to know someone else's business, Andrew. It's just a matter of learning what certain items are sold for so that a seller (myself in this case) can offer an item at a fair and reasonable price. Or should I just pull any figure out of the air and either undersell it or waste time bartering?

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 12:43:45 pm »
^^^^
I don't disagree with you, Moz.

The price an item sells for is a reflection of its value in the marketplace at that time. In other words, it's true worth is what someone pays for it - it's always been that way.

All I'm suggesting is a way in which this forum can enhance its value as a resource by having more public information about what items sell for. And, of course, a way in which bods like me can take the guesswork out of arriving at a selling price which is fair for both seller and buyer. Personally, I don't like bartering - This isn't the Souq in Marrakesh or Jerusalem etc.

The British do suck at bartering, but it's down to the seller to accept or not, comparing dropping a fiver on a £45 item, isn't the same as being hounded and dropped 90% value at the Turkish markets, so silly comparison.

If the only reason you see is to use it to enhance the forum, why not look at the trading feedback score that other forums use. Similar to ebay, you rate your purchase on quality, accuracy, delivery etc. That's far more useful that someone knowing what I bought an air filter and some subframe bolts for.

to me anyway...

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 12:45:18 pm »
If I sold an item I'd consider the price I accepted for it private information, and quite frankly no ones business by mine and the buyer. I would however, answer a PM from someone interested in how much it sold for.

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 12:45:46 pm »

....It's not a matter of wanting to know someone else's business, Andrew. It's just a matter of learning what certain items are sold for so that a seller (myself in this case) can offer an item at a fair and reasonable price. Or should I just pull any figure out of the air and either undersell it or waste time bartering?

Now you're just being silly.

If you're that desperate for a figure as you have no idea what it may be worth, have a look at what other items have been advertised for more widely, that should give you a more accurate figure, that shooting numbers ducks with a water pistol.

Don't take it personally, RR.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 12:48:59 pm »
If you really have no idea then it all comes down to making an educated guess. You know how much you paid for it, you know hold old it is and what condition it is, you also have the ability to revise the price should it not garner any interest. None of that it wasting people's time IMO.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 12:50:28 pm »
Isnt this what ebay is for RR?

I rarely actually sell things on ebay now due to the commission ebay and paypal take but its a good tool for gauging how much someone is willing to pay for an item.

I dont dislike your idea but its impossible to police and people may well just put over inflated prices to try to keep parts prices higher.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline vRS Carl

• Thank You
  • -Given: 282
  • -Receive: 240
  • I'm the F.A.G (Forum Apple Guru)
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 12:54:14 pm »
But this forum isn't eGay Robin.

To my mind an individual (like you or me) decides what they are willing to sell an item for based on a few things:

• How much you originally paid
  • How old it is/long you have had it
  • How good/bad of a condition it is in

So you decide a price from that. You then post up and if people are willing to pay that price they will, if not then they will make a counter offer. If you don't want to haggle just put on your post "no offers" and then people won't.

Someone may offer a price for an item that doesn't sell and then 4/5 weeks down the line reduce the price to shift it on. This doesn't then mean every time the same item is sold everyone should accept the same price.

For example i have a Neuspeed Hi-Flo intercooler pipe for a K03 TFSi that i need to sell. I will post up what i feel is a fair price. If someone comes back to me with a sensible offer then i will consider it. If i am not willing to accept any offers then i will stick it for sale on eGay with a reserve price if nobody wants it on here.

I think most things get sold on here for 2 reasons:

• It's a performance part that is more likely to sell on here quickly than advertising on eGay for a week
  • Forum members give other members a chance to grab a bargain before they post on eGay with a sense of "esprit de corps" to othe forum members

I don't think MK5GolfGTi suddnely needs to turn into a selling resource tool for all and sundry as that. from what i can gather, isn't what the forum is for.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 12:56:24 pm »

If you're that desperate for a figure as you have no idea what it may be worth, have a look at what other items have been advertised for more widely, that should give you a more accurate figure, that shooting numbers ducks with a water pistol.

Don't take it personally, RR.

....Looking more widely is exactly what has prompted me to post this topic. All I found was posts with no reference to price.

Can you find any posts which state how much an OEM GTI exhaust backbox has sold for? Or just OEM front discs? - I couldn't.

But I do accept people's reluctance to be more public about their prices and I can see the sense in what Carl and Andrew are saying  :drinking:

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 01:06:19 pm »

....Looking more widely is exactly what has prompted me to post this topic. All I found was posts with no reference to price.

Can you find any posts which state how much an OEM GTI exhaust backbox has sold for? Or just OEM front discs? - I couldn't.

But I do accept people's reluctance to be more public about their prices and I can see the sense in what Carl and Andrew are saying  :drinking:

Not sure why you're deciding to target me to find the answers you couldn't, doesn't change from the opinion that I don't feel we should state what we sold items for.

Anyway, as you request;

Cat Back GTI Sold for £50.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Golf-GTI-Exhaust-Golf-MK5-Cat-Back-Exhaust-Golf-GTI-CatBack-Exhaust-2004-2009-/150812763027?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3AGolf|Plat_Gen%3AMK+V&hash=item231d242393

Sold for £49.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vw-Mk-5-Golf-Gti-Tdi-Exhaust-/251052031367?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3a73ddfd87

Moved up a level to Blue Flame

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Golf-mk5-GTI-BLUEFLAME-EXHAUST-back-box-suitcase-delete-axle-back-exhaust-/200753412680?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2ebdd5fa48

I could do the discs for you, but I literally don't see why I should.

I shouldn't have responded, but it's easy enough, RR.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 01:06:45 pm »
If I sold an item I'd consider the price I accepted for it private information, and quite frankly no ones business by mine and the buyer. I would however, answer a PM from someone interested in how much it sold for.
+1. It's a contract between seller and buyer.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 01:12:13 pm »
^^^^
Thank You, Moz  :drinking:

I don't know why I didn't succeed in finding via Google - Might be due to my Google Search prefs.