Make a donation

Author Topic: Should they bring back hanging  (Read 10373 times)

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Re: Should they bring back hanging
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2012, 07:11:05 pm »

The rates for unlawful killings in Britain have more than doubled since abolition of capital punishment in 1964 from 0.68 per 100,000 of the population to 1 .42 per 100,000. Home Office figures show around unlawful killings 300 in 1964, which rose to 565 in 1994 and 833 in 2004. The number of killings recorded by police rose to 636 in the 12 months to March 2011, up from 608 the previous year. The principal causes of homicide are fights involving fists and feet, stabbing and cutting by glass or a broken bottle, shooting and strangling. 72% of the victims were male with younger men being most at risk.  Convictions for the actual crime of murder (as against manslaughter and other unlawful killings) have also been rising inexorably.  Between 1900 and 1965 they ran at an average of 29 per year.  There were 57 in 1965 – the first year of abolition.  Ten years later the total for the year was 107 which rose to 173 by 1985 and 214 in 1995.
A total of 29 people released after being convicted of murder and six people convicted of manslaughter, killed again between 2000/1 and 2010/11, according to figures released by the Home Office. 13 of these committed murder, the most serious homicide offence, and 16 committed manslaughter.
Some 6,300 people are currently serving sentences of “life in prison” for murder.  Figures released in 2009 show that since 1997, 65 prisoners who were released after serving life were convicted of a further crime.  These included two murders, one suspected murder, one attempted murder, three rapes and two instances of grievous bodily harm.  The same document also noted that 304 people given life sentences since January 1997 served less than 10 years of them, actually in prison.

Make of these stats what you will.
 :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2012, 07:12:43 pm »

Alcohol duty brings in about £15 billion a year and a quick search suggests it cost about £3 billion for the NHS. As I always suspected, it's good to drink!!
 :drinking:

....Are you claiming that the consumption of alcohol is beneficial to the NHS? Try telling A&E hospital staff that on a typical Saturday night anywhere in the uk!

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2012, 07:19:31 pm »

Alcohol duty brings in about £15 billion a year and a quick search suggests it cost about £3 billion for the NHS. As I always suspected, it's good to drink!!

....Are you claiming that the consumption of alcohol is beneficial to the NHS? Try telling A&E hospital staff that on a typical Saturday night anywhere in the uk!

as a former member of A&E staff in a population covering 800,000 i'll have to side with RR on this one...
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2012, 07:21:36 pm »

as a former member of A&E staff in a population covering 800,000 i'll have to side with RR on this one...

No, absolutely not. You asked for the stats, I reply. My good lady wife is a nurse (no longer working in the NHS) and has terrible stories of alcohol related incidents and the sheer strain that it puts on the NHS. over 1,000,000 hospital related cases last year due to it and no doubt rising. If my "tongue in cheek" comment about drinking offends, I apologise (while drinking my Cocoa)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 07:29:33 pm by MC71 »

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2012, 07:25:08 pm »
haha i wasn't offended! besides alcoholism and idiots going out on the lash and causing trouble are two very different things
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2012, 07:56:47 pm »

haha i wasn't offended! besides alcoholism and idiots going out on the lash and causing trouble are two very different things

....I have less sympathy for idiots going out on the lash and causing trouble, especially as they often do so regularly. Alcoholics usually get that way due to deeper personal problems.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2012, 08:23:45 pm »

The cost of alcoholism and heavy drinking to the nation as a whole is enormous, and almost impossible to calculate. it has so many different direct and indirect effects on all aspects of society. Broken homes, homelessness, lost output, alcohol related health expenditure, anti-social behaviour, alcohol-related crime, to name but a few. The NHS expenditure amount alone barely scratches the surface.

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2012, 08:34:41 pm »

The cost of alcoholism and heavy drinking to the nation as a whole is enormous, and almost impossible to calculate. it has so many different direct and indirect effects on all aspects of society. Broken homes, homelessness, lost output, alcohol related health expenditure, anti-social behaviour, alcohol-related crime, to name but a few. The NHS expenditure amount alone barely scratches the surface.

....Exactly!

And so they should hang all those caught heavy drinking and costing the nation such enormous sums of money.  :wink: :evilgrin: [says he in a desperate attempt to bring the discussion back to the topic of hanging. Although folks will never reach complete agreement on that big subject anyway. Shall we discuss abortion next?  :evilgrin:]

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2012, 09:34:12 pm »

....Exactly!

And so they should hang all those caught heavy drinking and costing the nation such enormous sums of money.  :wink: :evilgrin: [says he in a desperate attempt to bring the discussion back to the topic of hanging. Although folks will never reach complete agreement on that big subject anyway. Shall we discuss abortion next?  :evilgrin:]

Abortion! Maybe stick to something safe like religion!!  :signLOL:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2012, 10:39:17 pm »

Just realised I've been on the Mk5 GTi forum all day.

I thought I'd been on The Daily Mail On-Line!  :grin:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2012, 10:43:28 pm »

....Exactly!

Abortion! Maybe stick to something safe like religion!!  :signLOL:

no to hard how about poitics :chicken: