Make a donation

Author Topic: Sky Fibre Unlimited  (Read 2363 times)

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 62
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."
Sky Fibre Unlimited
« on: May 16, 2012, 09:03:56 am »
Had an email from Sky today regarding their fibre broadband offering..  Is anyone on it yet?  I currently get about 3mb download speeds from Sky so am quite tempted!  £50 setup fee..

Any thoughts - positive or negative?

Check availability of Sky Fibre Unlimited

Hello,

Thank you for showing an interest in fibre from Sky.

We're writing to let you know that we've checked the postcode you gave us and are pleased to confirm that you live in a fibre enabled area. See if new Sky Fibre Unlimited is actually available to you using our online checker.
Sky Fibre Unlimited could be right if you live in a busy home with lots of people using the internet at the same time, watching HD videos or downloading very large files.
It's totally unlimited with no usage caps or traffic management, and costs £20 a month, with or without TV, when you take Sky Talk Freetime and Sky Line Rental for £12.25. You'll enjoy evening and weekend UK# landline calls at no extra charge.

You can find out more about our other products, including Sky Broadband Unlimited, on our website.

Kind regards,

The Sky Broadband and Talk Team

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
Re: Sky Fibre Unlimited
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2012, 03:08:30 pm »
Not available in my area yet.  :sad1: Desperately want this as soon as its available. Miss the speed i used to get from Virgin Media since moving to Sky Broadband.

Offline TonyZed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2012, 04:40:15 pm »
I got the same email yesterday, although I had Sky Fibre Unlimited installed a few weeks ago. :grin:

I can get 39mb if I connect directly into the router or anything from 15 to 25 wirelessly depending where I am in the house. I don't know how good the Sky router is, but for the moment I'm happy.

I'm trying to find out if Sky will double their speed like BT have done as the cabling is all the same.

TonyZ

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 05:15:29 pm »
I got the same email yesterday, although I had Sky Fibre Unlimited installed a few weeks ago. :grin:

I can get 39mb if I connect directly into the router or anything from 15 to 25 wirelessly depending where I am in the house. I don't know how good the Sky router is, but for the moment I'm happy.

I'm trying to find out if Sky will double their speed like BT have done as the cabling is all the same.

TonyZ

What does the install consist of?  Can they be 'talked out of' the £50 setup fee?

Offline TonyZed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 11:47:03 pm »

TonyZ

What does the install consist of?  Can they be 'talked out of' the £50 setup fee?

The install is done by a BT engineer, hence the charge. He does some work in the green box in the street first, then heinstalls the modem in your house, including any necessary replacement boxes. Sky will have sent you a router which you can then plug in and set up yourself, although the BT man connected mine up, he just did it, I didn't ask him to.

I was threatening to go to BT for fibre so they haven't charged me as far as I can see. I'm not going to ask them why though! :innocent:

TonyZ

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 10:47:04 am »
Wasn't charged anything for the install.  Just £2.18 for delivery of the new router.  Had the BT Openreach engineer round this morning at 8am and now have the following..

Wired connection: (using 200mbps Homeplug AV Powerline Ethernet adapters through the mains)

Wireless connection: (had to change the wireless channel from 'auto' to get better results)

Compared to my old 'non-fibre' download speed of approx 3MB, I am happy.  :happy2:  Excellent service from both Sky and BT.  Sky keep you very well informed along the way.  So far so good...

Nasir

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 12:33:28 pm »
Virgin Media fibre optic gives 49.92 MB download speed and 4.82 on upload. It's very quick. Could you not get Virgin?

That's at 12:30 through a wireless connection with other people in the house using the internet.

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 12:41:33 pm »
Virgin Media fibre optic gives 49.92 MB download speed and 4.82 on upload. It's very quick. Could you not get Virgin?

That's at 12:30 through a wireless connection with other people in the house using the internet.

Unfortunately not a cable area.  Already with Sky for TV, phone and broadband so it was the next logical step.  Didn't want to go back to BT.

Offline Vdub13799

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 12:50:20 pm »
I'm very jealous of you all!!! I get 0.4 mbs!!!!! Absolute S**t!  :mad: Thats my bit for this topic  :happy2:

Saintsteve

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 01:17:25 pm »

sky's speed will eventually be running 200 meg download, which will then makes VM poor value..  :wink:

It's coming....

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 01:23:41 pm »
sky's speed will eventually be running 200 meg download, which will then makes VM poor value..  :wink:

It's coming....

That's good to hear..  how far off do you think?  ...months? ...years?

Saintsteve

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 01:35:14 pm »

It's coming....

That's good to hear..  how far off do you think?  ...months? ...years?
Within 2 years for mass launch. Problem is with VM, they are using coax cable which limits their capabilities. Eventually Sky WILL be using fibre to supply your TV, so using the satellite dish is gonna be fazed out altogether.

everything up 1 single fibre optic cable at your doorstep..  :happy2:

Nasir

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 01:36:11 pm »

It's coming....

200 meg???? WTH can you do with that? Technology is amazing.

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 01:44:55 pm »
Within 2 years for mass launch. Problem is with VM, they are using coax cable which limits their capabilities. Eventually Sky WILL be using fibre to supply your TV, so using the satellite dish is gonna be fazed out altogether.

Is this only going to possible with FTTH and not FTTC?  My block-paved cul-de-sac is too nice to dig up!

Saintsteve

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 01:48:35 pm »

Is this only going to possible with FTTH and not FTTC?  My block-paved cul-de-sac is too nice to dig up!

The blade that is used to cut is 3mm in width. Unfortunately it has to be done, but a lot better then a spade and shovel that VM currently use..