Make a donation

Author Topic: Very wierd problem  (Read 1483 times)

Offline Sammy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Very wierd problem
« on: May 19, 2012, 09:54:53 pm »
Today as I was driving I noticed past 3.5k revs a lot of white smoke comes from the exhaust of the car, first I didn't know what to think and then the car started shaking 1 hour later and eml came up,
All I know is that it definitely a misfiring problem from spark plugs but should that cause white smoke?  :confused:
I just hope I havnt blown anything!!
GTI MK5 with all the gooodies

K04 power going on soon!

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
Re: Very wierd problem
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 10:22:52 pm »
Pop the plugs out and see if any are oily.  Hopefully not a bent rod, but running a K04 with a K03 map can cause boost spikes.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline Sammy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 11:19:07 pm »
Pop the plugs out and see if any are oily.  Hopefully not a bent rod, but running a K04 with a K03 map can cause boost spikes.

2 days ago I got the same misfire but I didn't notice smoke maybe it was there or maybe not, temporarily the garage put a replacement plug on the 1 that had the misfire, so it seems the other(s) are starting to fail, that's not my concern it's the white smoke looked scary don't have a clue what it was  :scared:

K04 power going on soon!

Offline D4rk1

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 06:32:21 pm »
Check you don't have any oil in the water or a milky oil cap. Could be the head gasket. Is the temp staying at 90?

Offline Luka

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 07:00:47 pm »
White smokes usually indicates one of two things. Coolant burning ie head gasket, or unburnt fuel. In your case, I'd imagine it is the latter.
Sold - 2006 Tornado Red GTI 3dr

Offline Sammy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 07:45:17 pm »
Yeah temp just stays the same at 90, unburnt fuel would be down to the map right?
Is there any chance that my k04 has blown? My engine oil warning came up yesterday also and when i checked it was on the very minimum and i topped up 2 litres

K04 power going on soon!

Offline Sie

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 08:17:46 pm »
should only be 1 litre from bottom mark to top mark on the dipstick. I would try not driving it till you gte your map or least distances possible , also just cruise around low low rpm.

Sie
Fettled Laser Blue '05 GTi 5dr

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 72
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 09:39:42 pm »
It sounds like you either have a head gasket failure or have damaged a piston. You really should get a pressure test on each cylinder to find out what the cause is. Also get the header tank pressure tested for a head gasket failure. If a spark plug has burnt out the cylinder is running too hot and causing damage to the electrode. That may also mean damage to the piston, bore or even the block itself in worst case scenarios. I would limit driving the car and consider getting the car towed to RTech when its booked in for the map. Hope you get it sorted mate.
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box

Offline Sammy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 11:12:06 pm »
It sounds like you either have a head gasket failure or have damaged a piston. You really should get a pressure test on each cylinder to find out what the cause is. Also get the header tank pressure tested for a head gasket failure. If a spark plug has burnt out the cylinder is running too hot and causing damage to the electrode. That may also mean damage to the piston, bore or even the block itself in worst case scenarios. I would limit driving the car and consider getting the car towed to RTech when its booked in for the map. Hope you get it sorted mate.

Damn me its going to get checked tommorw so i got to be lucky if nothing has happened yet, Il update on what happens

K04 power going on soon!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 11:15:33 pm »

Should've taken it very easy 'till it was mapped propperly  :sad1: