Make a donation

Author Topic: Batt drain - can we put it to bed!  (Read 4447 times)

Offline Johnny_tro

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 12
Batt drain - can we put it to bed!
« on: May 20, 2012, 11:13:37 am »
believe this has been going on for some time now seen and read many posts on this. There is also a quick fix to this. Most of the battery drains seem to be from thehead units. A replacement canbus  should solve the problem, however it appears this is not so. There are lots a great people on here with alot of knowledge. Do we know what else is causing this ??
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
Re: Batt drain - can we put it to bed!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2012, 11:35:38 am »
Sorry to hear this Johnny...unfortunately I can't offer any help  :ashamed:

Don't be disheartened, these RNS510's are amazing.

The battery drain issue seems to be affecting quite a few people.

I got a B version as soon as they were released and I never had any bother.  I've upgraded the firmware to the F version and I just love it.
The only bug with mine is that it's not LED  :sad1:

I will be swapping/part ex-ing  mine for an LED version soon, but I really don't want to be affected by the battery drain.

Have u had a word with Darren? :wink:

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2012, 04:13:53 pm »
Love the RNS buddy, would not swap it for anything. Hence why I carry a booster pack in the boot - for the regular battery drain days  :signLOL:

I have updated EVERYTHING........

- Canbus
- CECM
- Firmwares
- Had the battery test, car scanned several times etc.

and STILL I get a regular flat battery.

Darren (morty) seems to think the Canbus may have a shut down mode, on some it does not shut down and continues to run even when the car is off. I know there are a few people still having problems with this.............with ALL the great minds on here, has no one found out WHY?

Does this effect any other models? MK6's? Passat? if not WHY? what is the Golf missing
'VANDALISED' MK5 GT :( - RNS510 H, Bluetooth Armrest, MDI, 50gb hard drive, I can't park  sensors, Cruise Control, Highline Display, MFSW, Heated Seats, Remote Aux Heating System (Heats and Vents) Winter Pack, Heated & Folding Mirrors, Puddle Lights, Xenons, Headlamp Washers, Heated Washers, Auto lights and wipers, LED's, GTI brakes,, black R32 roof lining, Scirocco Rear View, Rear Footwell Lights

Offline donovan2123

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2012, 04:21:04 pm »
Why not fit a bigger battery? Could that not help I had similar issues but replaced can bus and battery to a slightly bigger one and I haven't had a problem since

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 04:21:52 pm »
Did you have flat battery problems before fitting the RNS?

Is there something else causing a power draw...glovebox light, boot light, plugged in 12v cable or anything?
Have you had your alternator checked?
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 05:15:30 pm »
Wasn't the battery upgraded in later cars?

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 05:19:28 pm »
Never had battery issues prior to fitting an RNS.

Battery is mint - had the checked and tested, along with the altenator. Cars had a FULL service and endless scans over the past few months and car is not showing any faults with lights or anything - everything is working as it should be.

Bigger battery < Not sure if this would solve the issue, especially if something is taking power from it. Think I would still get battery drain issues, but maybe not as often. I can get drain issues at at least 3 times a week.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 06:14:21 pm »

Sorry to hear it mate.  It would drive me nuts

I want to do the large screen clocks and polar FIS unit and am worried i may end up with battery drain.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 07:33:18 pm »
It is a pain, I'm kinda living with it and getting used to it.............

I just feel with so many 'experts' on here, people who can/reftro fit pretty much anything I thought someone must know the REASON(s) for this.

Offline AndyS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 07:39:07 pm »
I had battery drain after fitting an RNS . Cured the problem with a special fireware for the RNS

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 07:40:29 pm »
? Did you update the firmware? or use an older one?

What did you go from and to?

Offline AndyS

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 09:40:17 pm »
Go here:-

http://vwnavi.com/forum51.html

and for the RNS 510 you will find special roms for battery drain problem
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Unofficial 272x software and SWL recovery CD
Hi,

SWL recovery CD - in case if your unit is stuck with Gateway Error 202 or some other failure occurs during the upgrade and unit is unable to boot up afterwards. It's based on latest 398x software but can be used to recover RNS-510 running any software version - just insert it and start a new SWL process by pressing Setup + Eject + Info/Mic/whatever top right button. It will try to restore basic coding (including TestMode) and finish SWL, and if your unit is not completely damaged, it will boot up  Support for EU/US/CHN units.

RNS-510 HDD Format CD - it will format both partitions on HDD and all MP3 files and maps will be lost. Run it only if you have problems accessing audio files after software upgrade or you do want to install an older version Navi map. If you want to erase maps only and keep existing MP3 files, then edit the file WA\FORMHDB1.WSH and replace first symbol in line "hdTermFormat("/hdb1",3)" with #
In some rare cases the MP3 partition can not be formatted with this CD, If this happens, downgrade to software 1200 (it will also format HDD) and then upgrade back to your current version.

RNS-510 Maps HDD Format CD - it will format only the partition containing the maps, MP3 files should stay intact.

Modified software for A units. Known issues on Rev. A units - a Regensburg syndrome (navigation always starts in Gemany) and no resume for VBR MP3 files.
1300 for A/B/C
2760 for A/B/C
3810 for A/B/C

Fix for old CAN gateways. Gateway code (VUCI) from 1200 software - recommended for all A/B/C revision units to solve power drain problem with old* CAN gateways or as an workaround for dim screen problem after updating to firmware 2660 or above. It will update only VUCI part of RNS-510 and it is compatible with units running any software version past 1200. Includes MFSW/Maxidot fix for for pre-FL Skoda Octavia A5. Known issues:
- no clock on display in standby mode
- RVC not working

Fix for Skoda Octavia A5. It will update only gateway to get working MFSW/Maxidot when Skoda Columbus is installed in pre-facelift Octavia A5 or any VW car.
Fix for 1xxx/2xxx software
Fix for 3xxx/4xxx software

Some notes:
- old CAN gateways are with index less than 1K0 907 530 K for Golf/Skoda Octavia and 3C0 907 530 E for Passat.
- RNS-510 is very picky on CD media, so I suggest to always burn firmware to the DVD media, not CD.
- if RNS-510 complains about downgrade error, insert media and reboot unit by pressing Setup + Eject + Info/Mic/whatever top right button together. On US units, use Guide button instead of Setup button.

Offline Johnny_tro

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 09:44:18 pm »
Is it fair to say - the firmware is FAR more relevant to the drain than the canbus then? as I have a new one. Firmware, I will need to check this as I have the later H/F RNS (need to check)