Make a donation

Author Topic: Disaster :@ UPDATE  (Read 45183 times)

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Re: Disaster :@
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2012, 11:30:18 am »
the advice given is sound.

If you take it to the person quoting the cheapest price usually they dont know whats going to be involved (if its significantly cheaper) and in the end it will cost you more.

Take it to one of the many known VAG indys and get them to take a look, their quote will be more but im confident that the price your quoted will be all you have to pay to resolve this issue for good.

You have been told off enough for booting it  :signLOL:

I have been in a similar situation where funds are very tight and i need my car, guys on here gave the best advice, replace the lot rather than chasing what "might" be the issue. Fortunately for me replacing the fuel pump is nothing like the cost of replacing the engine. 3k fitted - the sale of all your salvageable bits might not be too harsh.

Get all the diagnostics done for a definitive cause and issue then way up the cost and benefits of solutions.

Offline muckipup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2012, 12:25:07 pm »
Very interesting thread for me...I was considering keeping my K04 on the car but returning it to standard map and selling intake, inter cooler, HPFP, etc if I could not sell the car 'as is'. I may need to rethink that one!

Since you're running revo then setting the sps to "standard" map should allow you to do the above.

Good point  :happy2: You think just setting B/T/F to zero would be enough to avoid Sammy's situation?

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2012, 01:02:30 pm »
Good point  :happy2: You think just setting B/T/F to zero would be enough to avoid Sammy's situation?

I had asked Revo Kev in the past if the stock (vs performance) sps setting did anything with a stage 3 map and he responded positively saying everything would be turned down. I assumed from his response that the stock setting would equate to a standard ed30. I would confirm this with revo though before attempting this.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Sammy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2012, 01:23:34 pm »
The garage that quoted me £800 definately knows what they are doing and are properly qualified. I have used them for the last 4 years trouble free, and the labour work is 100% guanrateed so say something is faulty and they done the fitting wrong they will make sure my car car is running perfect without charging me anything extra.
They have explained what needs doing completely and is always willing to answer any questions I have without trouble, I doubt they have ever done a rebuild on a TFSI engine but at the end of the day its on their hands to do it right, If they rebuild and something is wrong i will make them do it again without paying a penny
GTI MK5 with all the gooodies

K04 power going on soon!

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2012, 01:46:01 pm »
The garage that quoted me £800 definately knows what they are doing and are properly qualified. I have used them for the last 4 years trouble free, and the labour work is 100% guanrateed so say something is faulty and they done the fitting wrong they will make sure my car car is running perfect without charging me anything extra.
They have explained what needs doing completely and is always willing to answer any questions I have without trouble, I doubt they have ever done a rebuild on a TFSI engine but at the end of the day its on their hands to do it right, If they rebuild and something is wrong i will make them do it again without paying a penny

Make sure you say this to them clear as day. £800 for a working car.

Offline Sammy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2012, 01:51:23 pm »

Make sure you say this to them clear as day. £800 for a working car.

Definately will, I will also update on how low i can push this price down to, For my k04 conversion includng injectors, S3 intercooler and 2 full days labour they charged me £300 which was haggled down from £500 and it didnt even take me a minute to bring that down, It shows what they are thinking really then

K04 power going on soon!

Offline GarethB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2012, 01:52:40 pm »
I doubt they have ever done a rebuild on a TFSI engine but at the end of the day its on their hands to do it right, If they rebuild and something is wrong i will make them do it again without paying a penny

This is the part that worries me. Why use someone that doesn't know the TFSI engine inside & out? They may agree that the £800 you pay is all you pay, or you could encounter 'extras' on the way that may result in an increased fee. If you don't pay, you could be left with a stalemate situation, and a substantial delay in you receiving a fully functioning car.

Again, I really hope that they know what they're doing and you get the car back asap with no further dramas.

Offline Viking

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #67 on: May 22, 2012, 02:03:06 pm »
I have a good low mileage s3 engine for sale in the for sale section, just let me know what route you are taking and of it will be of any interest. Cheers. Good luck.

^^^This^^^

That's the way I'd be going anyway, then sell the spare ancilliaries off your old engine to get some cash back.
Sarcasm for free. Anything after that can only be considered as a bonus.

Just because you think you know something, doesn't make you an expert if you've just read it on the internet, y'know.

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2012, 02:54:14 pm »
I would use properly qualified workshop with plenty TFSI experience even if I have to spend a little bit more as in the long run it is never worth it. If they quoted you 500 and you managed to push it down to 300 that says something about them..... They overquoted a lot which indicates theeir intent might have not been genuine in the first place....

I am surprised you're using the same workshop who installed K04 as they didn't warn you about the cosequences of driving without the proper map which might indicate the above??

Just my thoughts and you will do as you like but plenty of experience here which you can use to your benefit

Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2012, 03:12:32 pm »
I would use properly qualified workshop with plenty TFSI experience even if I have to spend a little bit more as in the long run it is never worth it. If they quoted you 500 and you managed to push it down to 300 that says something about them..... They overquoted a lot which indicates theeir intent might have not been genuine in the first place....

I am surprised you're using the same workshop who installed K04 as they didn't warn you about the cosequences of driving without the proper map which might indicate the above??

Just my thoughts and you will do as you like but plenty of experience here which you can use to your benefit

Paul

+1 What have the folks who fitted the K04 said???
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2012, 03:22:13 pm »
I really think sammy should be left to his own devices on this one. He has told everyone he intends to use the same garage who did the work from the start, we have all given him our advice and what we would do and He has chosen to ignore all. I do sympathise with your position Sammy but because of all of the above, "i'm out".

Offline Sammy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2012, 03:27:53 pm »
UPDATE:

No gazon they did advice me, they said I should get it mapped. I know who am dealing with they never let me down and answered every question and I am more then confident to do any jobs with them.

Anyways I just had the compression test done and all cylinders read the same! So that maybe good news now considering my pistons are not fooked
The only problem I have now is oil getting to the spark plugs and smoke although the smoke has reduced now compared to yesterday so now maybe this was all down to putting too much engine oil in?

K04 power going on soon!

Saintsteve

« Reply #72 on: May 22, 2012, 03:29:44 pm »
UPDATE:

No gazon they did advice me, they said I should get it mapped. I know who am dealing with they never let me down and answered every question and I am more then confident to do any jobs with them.

Anyways I just had the compression test done and all cylinders read the same! So that maybe good news now considering my pistons are not fooked
The only problem I have now is oil getting to the spark plugs and smoke although the smoke has reduced now compared to yesterday so now maybe this was all down to putting too much engine oil in?

Are you sure its not oil fuel mix washing your pistons like I said, and a bad fuel pump issue like I said? Have they removed it alone with its cam follower?

Offline Sammy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: May 22, 2012, 03:31:30 pm »
UPDATE:

Are you sure its not oil fuel mix washing your pistons like I said, and a bad fuel pump issue like I said? Have they removed it alone with its cam follower?

I havnt forgotten that no, am just waiting on a spark plug to be fitted and after that I the second thing I am going to check

K04 power going on soon!

Offline Sammy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: May 22, 2012, 03:32:37 pm »
What should I be looking out for in the fuel pump and cam follower?

K04 power going on soon!