Make a donation

Author Topic: anyone had an achilles tendon operation?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline markfive

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
  • You ain't seen me, right?
Re: anyone had an achilles tendon operation?
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 08:53:01 pm »
As a football coach (not my day job :signLOL:) I've seen a fair few achilles problems. A trip to a podiatrist for a gait analysis can be very revealing but custom orthotics are expensive (£200 or so on top of the cost of the gait analysis) and aren't always the answer if the root cause is impact-related rather than something mechanical in the foot.

Has the consultant actually given you a diagnosis? Tendinitis and planar fasciitis are the most common problems.

Unless you are playing on grass or an AGP, running on any hard surface will aggravate any achilles problem, and that will lead on to problems with your knees over time. Unless you are spending lots on your boots the insoles won't be that good and they will also compress over time, so they are best replaced every few months.
Footdisc insoles are very good, I have a few players who found they made all the difference, including me. Nothing to do with me other than as a satisfied customer.

'57 DSG GTI alas now gone, but not forgotten....
Now motorway cruising in a 61 Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2.2 TDCi. 500+ miles to a tankful and bucketloads of torque :O Ok, it's not a GTI but it's fun... and that's what counts ;)

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 08:58:44 pm »
What did your Physio recommend as far as fitness activities were concerned? My injury was sustained running and I'm itching to get back into it. Sometimes my ankle feels like it's up to it but I'm still nervous that I'll only aggravate it. I'm guessing with a tendon injury all pain is bad pain too.

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 10:14:27 pm »
yeah i have some stretching eercisrs and ill be honest i do them every time befor ei play but not every day like i should  :fighting:

i have a nice long letter from the consultant with diagnosis will dit it out and summarise if for you physiotherapists/fitness coaches.

i do play on a wooden gym floor not astroturf and as you say am sure this is not helping.

footdiscs eh will have a look at those.

andrew - impact sports are basically going to aggravate it but if you do nothing it can seize up in my experience. ice baths are probably good but not tried them yet!
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

h4rdy

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 10:21:51 pm »
Andrew, shall I tell you about my friends who's snapped whilst playing football?

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 10:34:04 pm »
Andrew, shall I tell you about my friends who's snapped whilst playing football?

Go on...

h4rdy

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2012, 10:47:32 pm »
Ok so he was playing football and if it was where I used to play, its astroturf.

Off the ball he started a light jog towards the action and he just collapsed.

No agravation it just went ping and after a good 20 minutes.

He said he could 'move' his foot but it wasn't moving!

I think he had six months on his arse with his leg/foot in a cast which had to have the angle adjusted every couple of weeks to 'stretch' the re attached tendon.

He put on 2 stone and went from 20 a day to 40!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 09:00:14 am »
Was this totally out of the blue, or was he exercising with an injury?