Make a donation

Author Topic: Air Con - is it standard on a GTi?  (Read 3544 times)

Offline vaheedakhtar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Air Con - is it standard on a GTi?
« on: May 22, 2012, 05:41:35 pm »
Hi,

just the above, really. Was Air Con standard on a 2005 (55) GTi?

Offline Greeners

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
Re: Air Con - is it standard on a GTi?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 05:45:02 pm »
It's actually Climate control that is standard on a GTI. Some european imports only have a/c.

Offline vaheedakhtar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 05:52:15 pm »
It's actually Climate control that is standard on a GTI. Some european imports only have a/c.

Thanks for your reply. As the controls are the same as my old GTi - I can't tell whether or not it does have air con - as it's the fist time I've wanted to use it today (only had car for 4 months) and nothing cool is happening. My last one, I had to just switch it to the lowest temp and the air con would come on automatically.

Offline Luka

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 08:26:59 pm »
Remember to turn ECON off.
Sold - 2006 Tornado Red GTI 3dr

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 08:31:54 pm »
Remember to turn ECON off.

Either the above , or it may have AC compressor issues , its pretty common.
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 08:51:10 pm »
If you get it working make you sure you use it regularly to keep it working. Don't leave it off for long periods as this can cause problems! It's a good idea to have the air-con on at least for 10mins or so weekly even during winter. It keeps all parts lubricated and working properly.  :happy2:
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline AlanEdition30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 09:17:04 pm »
I thought i read somewhere that the air con is clever enough to self lubricate when its not being used, therefore you dont need to turn it on occasionally. Could be wrong though  :P

Offline vaheedakhtar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 09:44:15 pm »
I thought i read somewhere that the air con is clever enough to self lubricate when its not being used, therefore you dont need to turn it on occasionally. Could be wrong though  :P

Thanks chaps. But, someone still hasn't answered my original question: does the GTi come with air con as standard?

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 10:09:39 pm »
Thanks chaps. But, someone still hasn't answered my original question: does the GTi come with air con as standard?

All UK spec GTIs come with AC.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 10:13:14 pm »
Thought I had answered your question?  :confused:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 10:41:11 pm »
+1. Climate control is standard. This includes aircon!

Do you not have three large dials with two semi-circular buttons within each dial? You should have one button that says "AC" or "ECON".

If it says AC, the light should be on and the air should soon be cold. If it says ECON, turn it off (which activates the aircon). If not, there's a problem with the aircon system.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 08:01:12 pm »

Unfortunately air-con is not intelligent, it would be good if it was though. One of the main causes of air-con failure is when it is off all winter and then turned on again when it gets hot. Personally I just leave it on all the time, its useful all year round.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 08:30:09 pm »

Unfortunately air-con is not intelligent, it would be good if it was though. One of the main causes of air-con failure is when it is off all winter and then turned on again when it gets hot. Personally I just leave it on all the time, its useful all year round.

You do realise it increases fuel consumption by around 10%? Plus it makes the air in the car very dry during a long drive.

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 08:07:14 pm »

You do realise it increases fuel consumption by around 10%? Plus it makes the air in the car very dry during a long drive.

Really I actually find the difference in difference in fuel consumption so negligable that it's not a worry for me. The aerodynamic drag of having windows open causes similar mpg loss as air-con. I don't find dryness a problem unless i'm on a super long drive and then I might cycle it on and off periodically.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 08:42:55 pm »

Really I actually find the difference in difference in fuel consumption so negligable that it's not a worry for me. The aerodynamic drag of having windows open causes similar mpg loss as air-con. I don't find dryness a problem unless i'm on a super long drive and then I might cycle it on and off periodically.

How do you measure the difference if you have it on all the time?  :confused: